IGNORED

Which golf balls do you use?

Note: This thread is 3426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ProV1 and Srixon Z-star and Tri-Speed Tour.

While I really like the Srixon balls, the ProV1 is still head and shoulders above in regards to spin. I am still constantly surprised by how much spin I can get on a ProV1 with half and three-quarter wedge shots.

Whatever I find or have that looks fairly new.

The better the contact I'm making, the less and less it seems to matter to me.

for now......

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 5 months later...

Callaway Hex Control from Costco. I used to play Callaway Hex Chromes because I like the way they bite on the green from an iron shot. Tried a box of the Hex Controls and they're about as workable around the green as the Hex Chromes.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I recently ordered the MG C4 , a urethane ball made by Master Grip, and for only $20/dozen performs just like a Pro V1.

I also ordered the Kick X Tour ball, also urethane cover.  It also performed like a Pro V1, but at $40/dozen.  It seems to have more bite though.

Been playing the Bridgestone B330x and Srixon Z star......both have adequate distance and a little bite around the green.

I switched to Volvik Vista IV in green. Everything is great except they don't check as much on short pitches as the Srixon Z-Star I used to use. I have to play a little more roll out.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I was using the project a and than lethal golf balls. Have played bridgstone e series and titleist DT solo and srixon q star. Project a were my favorite of the group but would like a cheaper ball. The quest continues.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

After trying several balls (Project (a), Maxfli U/3, Gamer Soft, Chrome +, and ProV1x) I chose the Maxfli U/3 for the majority of the 2014 season.  Exceptionally long for my swing and performs well around the greens.  The Prov1x's were a promotion and I had my usual control problems off the tee, but it was the second longest ball (after the U/3) that I played with.  All very good golf balls from a variety of manufacturers.

I think it's really just fun to pretend you actually see a difference with whatever ball you're using. It adds more flair to the hobby. If you strike the ball like a touring pro with that consistency then I can see where a difference could be noticed. Minimal even then. I believe only extremes will have any difference for the majority of us on this forum or anywhere for that matter. For example, there's no question that hitting a completely solid cheap range ball will not check on the green like the old Titleist Balata. Nor will a titleist balata go as far as ten famous old Robinhood ball. I don't want to be a fuddy-dud...but I believe it's probably the truth. I wonder how often someone says " I tried the Bridgestone 330RX and just didn't like it's feel around the green". In truth, they probably just didn't play as well as Tuesday...and that day they used the titleist proV1. I mean seriously, which is more realistic...the 12 handicap hits a 7i with one ball 10yds farther....was it the ball characteristics...or did he/she just hit a better shot?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

... In truth, they probably just didn't play as well as Tuesday...and that day they used the titleist proV1.

I mean seriously, which is more realistic...the 12 handicap hits a 7i with one ball 10yds farther....was it the ball characteristics...or did he/she just hit a better shot?

I played 6, 9 hole rounds over a 10 day period last summer, hitting two different balls off the tee.

A ProV1 and an MG-C4.

At the end of 54 holes for each ball MG-C4 total score was 18 strokes better than the ProV1.

So both balls were played on the same days during the same rounds. The tee shot honors were random with about 50% the C4 went first and 50% the ProV1 went first. Subsequent shots were by which ball was away until both were holed out.

As for distance differences, I don't know about a 7 iron and 10 yards, but I did note that when I felt I struck both tee balls equally well, the C4 was always ahead of the ProV1 by 3-12 yards. Average was 8 yards.

I used to pay $20-$25/dozen for used ProV1s now I pay $20 for new MG-C4s.

My signature used to say Ball: Pro V1 as you can see it now says MG-C4.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

I know for a fact I get in my own head when it comes to how a ball plays. If I get a rare birdie with a ProV1 it is easy to remember that the next time I am buying balls. Logically I know the ball makes very lite difference to a guy who is not breaking 100.

Respectfully,

Well, in the world of statistics...I'm sorry but that equates to essentially...nothing. First you would need a much larger sampling size...(54 holes is nothing). Second it would at least need to be a blind study where you didn't know which ball you were hitting at any given time. But it's no big deal...it's just fun and flair.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Well, in the world of statistics...I'm sorry but that equates to essentially...nothing. First you would need a much larger sampling size...(54 holes is nothing). Second it would at least need to be a blind study where you didn't know which ball you were hitting at any given time.

But it's no big deal...it's just fun and flair.

I'm very familiar with the world of statistics and yes, you're right, 54 holes is not a representative sample size but way more representative than " they probably just didn't play as well as Tuesday...and that day they used the titleist proV1" or I like ball x because it feels better. The reason I stopped the test was that I was convinced that for the price diff, the C4 is at least equal in performance to the ProV1 if not better. That was good enough for me.

As for the blind "taste test", I contend the ball works for me I don't work for the ball. If by me knowing that I was hitting the C4 made me score better than the ProV then so be it. Whatever works. Don't forget I was a ProV fan boy before using this ball, if anything I was a skeptic, not a promoter of the new ball, so if anything, I would have been negatively biased towards the C4.

Also, as I stated in another thread, there were times when I was not aware of which ball I was hitting until the logo was in my line of sight, sometimes the approach shot, sometimes after the first putt, so it was semi blind if you will.

• Upvote 1

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

Usually Srixon AD 333 that I bought in bulk a few years back. Last two rounds, tried the 3up Golf 2S14 after hearing about it on pga radio. When my 333s run out, I'd definitely consider these as a replacement.

As an 18 HCP with an often inconsistent swing, I believe that the type of ball makes a difference, even for my game.  For example, I struggle to stay in the fairway more on the tee with a true tour ball, and my irons stick like velcro which I do not want.  I can also tell the difference around the green with a ball like the Pinnacle, TF XL, or other pure distance ball compared to my regular ball (U/3).  There are some balls that I probably could not tell the difference in a blind test (e.g. Gamer, e6, NXT Tour) because for my swing they perform the same.  I believe I could tell the U/3 from those balls because for whatever reason I am a good 10 yards longer off the tee and about a 1/2 club longer on most other clubs.

There are certain golf balls that play to my strengths and reduce the impact of the weaknesses of my game.  I am not hung up on any brand (I used to be a Titleist only, just not their tour ball) but I do look for certain performance characteristics when I try a different ball.   That being said, I am comfortable saying that the wrong ball could cost me 2-3 strokes over 18 holes (say a Prov1 or Lethal) and that a ball like the U/3 could save me 1-2 strokes over other comparable performance balls (e.g. NXT Tour) because of the additional distance I get.   Nothing replaces a good swing, but I enjoy experimenting with different golf balls and choosing what performs best for me.  And if I am really off, the ball is not going to be much help.

Lately, I have experimented with alternatives........I really like the mg C4 from Master Grip @ $20/dozen.

I have also tried the Kick X Tour Z ball @ $40/doz.

Both are excellent balls with the Kick X stopping on the greens much quicker.

I have also played the Srixon Z star and Bridgestone B330RXS....these are also great performing golfballs, but at a higher price.

Next up, I will be trying the Gamer Tour.....played the Gamer a few years ago and liked it...now it has a urethane cover.

I play the Maxfli U2/U3/U4 balls.......and like them, especially when you can get them for a sale discount.

@NJpatbee Well, again have fun with it. But I have a little hesitancy when an 18hcp with an inconsistent swing uses the phrase "half a club" especially when referring to a golfballs effect. Fun. Flair. Done.

I used to use Srixon balls. The Srixon Z-Star X feels too hard with my irons and doesn't check as well on the greens. The Z-Star XV is a little softer but still has a hard feel as also doesn't check as well. I like the feel of the Z-Star. It definitely has a softer feel. It doesn't go quite as far as the Z-Star X or XV, but I'll take the softer feel and better bite. I can also tell the difference between the Bridgestone B330 RX and the RXS. Much prefer the RXS.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!