IGNORED

i have no interest in "teeing it forward"

tuffluck
Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like playing the tips myself, but if I'm playing with buddies or family that want to play from the white tees, I don't even bat an eye.  I'd rather have fun with them and play the same tees rather than stepping back a tee or two due to my ego.  I also think shooting well from any tee is an accomplishment and I feel good about it regardless, golf is hard man.  Hitting quality shots should give you confidence, if scoring well from a closer tee isn't giving you confidence then you're thinking about it the wrong way.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I teed it forward my last round, played the golds instead of the whites. What I came away with was not that I would keep playing the golds, it was "I really need to add thirty yards to my drive!"

I won't do it again because I feel like I would be giving up on improving.

My course has 7 different tees, 4 regular sets of tees and three hybrids, that I can play.   I vary them as much as possible.   Going to the tips gives me different shots and makes the course feel more open when I move back to the normal men's tees.   Going forward puts me in a position where I feel pressure to play better because it should be easier, and it gives me different shots.  It also gives me more aggressive shots that I try to pull off, and that helps my game as well.

Playing different tees, back or forward is a good way to stretch your game.

• Upvote 1

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My course has 7 different tees, 4 regular sets of tees and three hybrids, that I can play.   I vary them as much as possible.   Going to the tips gives me different shots and makes the course feel more open when I move back to the normal men's tees.   Going forward puts me in a position where I feel pressure to play better because it should be easier, and it gives me different shots.  It also gives me more aggressive shots that I try to pull off, and that helps my game as well.

Playing different tees, back or forward is a good way to stretch your game.

This ^^^^

PEOPLE SHOULD PLAY THE FARTHEST TEES FORWARD AND ONLY MOVE BACK ONCE THEY CAN BREAK PAR.

you should check your keyboard....I think your cap lock is stuck.  ("BREAK PAR" - that seems a bit over the top)

Bill - 

PEOPLE SHOULD PLAY THE FARTHEST TEES FORWARD AND ONLY MOVE BACK ONCE THEY CAN BREAK PAR.

It seems like the main purpose of this site for higher handicappers is to present yourself to be bashed by speed golf fanatics.

Whatever.

It seems like the main purpose of this site for higher handicappers is to present yourself to be bashed by speed golf fanatics.

Whatever.

Not even close, on occasion we have someone who has a flawed way of thinking like the person you quoted, but for the most part people are not high handicap bashers. I've found that people are typically quite helpful in trying to assist us higher handicappers to improve.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I find that my scores are the same regardless which tee I play from. If I play from the whites, I end up doing risky things thinking I can drive the green on a par 4 and get into trouble. When I'm playing from the blues, I know that a tee shot with a driver will only put me 15yd farther out than a tee shot with a 3 wood, and since the approach is going to be 140-180yd that one extra club distance doesn't bother me as much, I play it safe, put it in the safe part of the fairway, and play it out for a par or bogey. I know of course I could play it safe from the whites and possibly do better, but when I shoot a couple strokes less from Blue than white consistently, I started playing from the blues only.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

I don't really care.  I normally play white (or "mens"), but I'll move forward if I want to work on my short game, and back if I want some practice on the longer shots.  Sometimes when I play with guys who want to play different tees, we alternate, like, white, black, gold, and get to practice everything.

To me your distance should dictate the tees you play from, think about it the tees are generally Seniors, Juniors, Womens, Mens and Championship. If you think about it they are spaced based on how far those genre of people hit the ball they aren't handicap tees. If you hit a 275yrd drive and then muff your 150yrd approach and 2 chip and 3 putt what does that have to do with what Tee box your on? Do you really think that teeing it up 50 yrds closer will help. In retrospect if you're unable to reach the green in 2 on most par 4's you should probably move up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by legitimatebeef

Whatever.

I've been a member here for almost five years (and a high handicapper the entire time), and have never felt like high handicappers were being bashed here.  Quite the opposite, in fact - many people are quick to congratulate you when you achieve landmarks (breaking 100/90/80 for the first time) and if you look in the Member Swings forum, a lot of lower handicappers offer swing advice, drills, etc. to help out.  There are also two Pros here ( @iacas and @mvmac ) who take their time to offer free advice, tips, drills, hints, etc.

I'm a high handicapper who absolutely hates slow play - it drives me nuts.  This thread is about teeing it forward, and few things will make you want to tear your hair out faster than being stuck behind four complete hacks who decide to 'get their macho on' and play from the tips when they can't even hit the fairway from there.  I don't play (or advocate) "speed golf", but I certainly do play and advocate "ready golf" and efficient golf.  Being a high handicapper doesn't mean you have to be a slow golfer - but it does mean you should know your game and play tees that are within your abilities, whichever tees those might be.

• Upvote 1

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Quote:

So essentially what you are telling us is. You play from the ladies tee's ?

I'm not even sure I could routinely break par from the ladies' tees.  OMGZZZZZ I CANT MOVE ANY FARTHER FORWARD!!!1!1!!!

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Patrick

Quote:

So essentially what you are telling us is. You play from the ladies tee's ?

I'm not even sure I could routinely break par from the ladies' tees.  OMGZZZZZ I CANT MOVE ANY FARTHER FORWARD!!!1!1!!!

That is one of the stupidest things I've seen on a golf forum, and this isn't the first time I've seen it.  Most of us couldn't routinely break par from the 200 yard markers, much less from the forward tees.  Sorry, but if he seriously believes this, then he'd better build his own golf course and then he can make his own ridiculous rules.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I should play from where I'm typically hitting a comfortable 8 iron onto a green on most par 4s. For me when healthy that's about 136-140 yds, Some par 4s that'll be a 7 iron, and some a PW. Some a GW. With my driving distance that works out to playing 5600-5700 yd tees.

Inside of 90 yds I'm decent. Errant second shots from 120 - 150 yds put me in an attempted scramble. Any second shot further out than that is a crap shoot unless it's a 5 iron. For some reason I can hit that club. I call that club my "rescue."

I waste more strokes on my mid game than anywhere else.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

FYI:   The topic of "Tee It Forward" is humorously discussed- complete with cartoons,  in a new book by Dan Camilli  entitled Tee Ceremony: A Cosmic Duffer's Companion to The Ancient Game of Golf .

The book is a hilarious take on many aspects of the game including "Tee It Forward", Driving Distance Liars, Cigars , golf partners, etc.

You can have a "Look Inside" the book at Amazon.

A fun read !

FYI: I got my father and father-in-law a copy for Father's Day.

Its about length, not score. If you're not hitting short irons into some of the par 4s, those tees are too long for you.

If there is even one par 4 that you can't reach in two with what you consider your typical length - not with the two best shots you ever hit - then move up if the option is available.  In that case the course is going to stretch your game beyond its reasonable limits.

There is one par 4 on my current home course that is sort of like that, but only because of the design, not because of the actual length (440 yards).  My tee shot typically leaves me between 190 and 210, but there is a pond dead in front of the green which prevents me from playing a run up shot, and since I can't carry the pond with a 3W and still hold the green, that makes even attempting it a very low percentage shot.  I made par on the hole for the first time the last time I played, but I had to chip in after chunking my 90 yard third shot and barely clearing the water.  I'm usually putting for bogey there.  But for the water, I'd usually be close to the green in two, if not on.

That one crazy hole is balanced by 3 short par 4's - 305, 297, and 284 on the card.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!