IGNORED

i have no interest in "teeing it forward"

tuffluck
Note: This thread is 3181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sure, and this is a good reason why you play the longer tees. If you do try the shorter tees, you would need to do it for some number of rounds for it to be of any help. I wouldn't expect you to be able to suddenly start shooting par just because you're using a pitch approach shots or driving pin high on a couple greens. Takes many rounds. . .

I expect to shoot par if I move up

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Sure, and this is a good reason why you play the longer tees.

If you do try the shorter tees, you would need to do it for some number of rounds for it to be of any help. I wouldn't expect you to be able to suddenly start shooting par just because you're using a pitch approach shots or driving pin high on a couple greens. Takes many rounds. . .

I expect to shoot par if I move up

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well, as a 15.7 handicap, I shot +3 on an 18 hole executive 54.8/86 course. http://www.schollcanyongc.com/golf-tee-times

The first time I play forward tees I'm not used to (usually when playing with someone who's a shorter hitter or higher hdcp), I always score worse.  Bringing trouble into play I normally can't reach, leaves me in between clubs a lot, etc.

Quote:

Well, as a 15.7 handicap, I shot +3 on an 18 hole executive 54.8/86 course. http://www.schollcanyongc.com/golf-tee-times

The first time I play forward tees I'm not used to (usually when playing with someone who's a shorter hitter or higher hdcp), I always score worse.  Bringing trouble into play I normally can't reach, leaves me in between clubs a lot, etc.

I might have an advantage of playing many different courses of all differing lengths.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 2 weeks later...

Just for reference, I actually moved back to the tips at one of the local courses. Plays 6810 72.5/126, so not a terribly difficult course just had added length. Only 2 holes were really tough length wise, a 465 yard par 4 and a 230 yard par 3. I actually shot right around the same score I normally do when playing from the normal tees at 6310 70.2/121 but the end result was a lower differential by almost 3 full strokes. So, in the end, playing forward is actually hurting my index rating. The problem is, if I play with anyone, nobody else would want to play from those tees and I would feel weird playing from different tees than them.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Just for reference, I actually moved back to the tips at one of the local courses. Plays 6810 72.5/126, so not a terribly difficult course just had added length. Only 2 holes were really tough length wise, a 465 yard par 4 and a 230 yard par 3. I actually shot right around the same score I normally do when playing from the normal tees at 6310 70.2/121 but the end result was a lower differential by almost 3 full strokes. So, in the end, playing forward is actually hurting my index rating. The problem is, if I play with anyone, nobody else would want to play from those tees and I would feel weird playing from different tees than them.

I have had the same experience from teeing it forward.  A couple years ago I played two rounds from the most forward tees at my home course (~5300 yards; ~65.0/113) and carded a 75 (+3) and 77 (+5).  Despite these being the two lowest scores of my life I actually shot right on my handicap for the 75 and over my handicap for the 77.  My rounds of 80-84 from the tips were much better at establishing a lower handicap.

I think the reason behind this is that you have to be able to "score" the more forward you move.  By that I mean you have to be able to get a handful of birdies a round.  My home course is par 72, therefore, to shoot around scratch from the most forward tees you would have to shoot around -7 in comparison to the tips where you have to shoot around +1.  I simply am not good enough to card multiple birdies, no matter which tee I am playing from.  In addition, if you have a blowup hole from the shorter tees that score is going to hurt your handicap more than if you had it from farther back tees with higher course and slope ratings.

A regular partner of mine would always insist that teeing it forward means little for most men, and I'm starting to agree, because if a golfer is not playing well it matters not where they tee from, and if a golfer is playing well the same- they'll get there just fine from another ~40 yd's out, I understand there are many variables but for the average weekend male golfer who plays OK, I doubt many will gain a lot of strokes from teeing it forward, so I say leave those tees for the older folks and women of very short drives, everyone else play the whites and worry about other things in the game.

I was just reading some information on ways people are supposed to choose the tees they play from. One method was to take the average/typical distance you hit your 5 iron multiplied by 36 and another just gave a chart:

Driver Distance

Recommended 18-Hole Yardages

6,700-6,900

6,200-6,400

5,800-6,000

5,200-5,400

4,400-4,600

3,500-3,700

2,800-3,000

2,100-2,300

Surprisingly, both of those were pretty accurate for me. Giving me about 6600-6800 ish as ideal length of course. Another one was that you move up until you can regularly break 90 from the tees you are playing, which is also not too far off for me. So, I would say using any one of these 3 methods would be a good way to go.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

A regular partner of mine would always insist that teeing it forward means little for most men, and I'm starting to agree, because if a golfer is not playing well it matters not where they tee from, and if a golfer is playing well the same- they'll get there just fine from another ~40 yd's out, I understand there are many variables but for the average weekend male golfer who plays OK, I doubt many will gain a lot of strokes from teeing it forward, so I say leave those tees for the older folks and women of very short drives, everyone else play the whites and worry about other things in the game.

This makes no sense. 40 extra yards each hole is a 3-4 club difference on approach shots. There is a huge difference between hitting an 8iron or a 5iron into greens.

This makes no sense. 40 extra yards each hole is a 3-4 club difference on approach shots. There is a huge difference between hitting an 8iron or a 5iron into greens.

For a good player yes, maybe I'm wrong about that guy, but most are not good players though, the average weekend guy is not getting into position for a scoring approach often anyway, 8i, 5i, whatever, it's all about finding some consistency for that player and improving, not worrying about teeing it forward to maybe gain a few strokes, and when that player does get better, he'll be moving back to the whites anyway so why bother?

The problem is

Ya but that is thinking from a short hitters perspective, think about that in the opposite direction, would you say there is a big difference between hitting a PW and an 8iron into greens? I'd say not nearly as much.

The problem is

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

Ya but that is thinking from a short hitters perspective, think about that in the opposite direction, would you say there is a big difference between hitting a PW and an 8iron into greens? I'd say not nearly as much.

Do you mean that on your typical par 4 that you could be left with anything from a PW to 8i as opposed to a potential 5i? I suppose a 200 yard approach is not unreasonable on the longer courses?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

From another prospective then: early on playing with the club champion tipped me to make sure I could at least get it into the fairway 40 yards (example) from the tee because most where we play have carries, water, marshes, etc, or deep rough and very tall weeds. Moving up helps until you find your distances. No matter what the approach shot is, you still have to execute it. Move up then back, rather than back then up. Keeps flow going at our course and less grumbling.

I have had the same experience from teeing it forward.  A couple years ago I played two rounds from the most forward tees at my home course (~5300 yards; ~65.0/113) and carded a 75 (+3) and 77 (+5).  Despite these being the two lowest scores of my life I actually shot right on my handicap for the 75 and over my handicap for the 77.  My rounds of 80-84 from the tips were much better at establishing a lower handicap.

I think the reason behind this is that you have to be able to "score" the more forward you move.  By that I mean you have to be able to get a handful of birdies a round.  My home course is par 72, therefore, to shoot around scratch from the most forward tees you would have to shoot around -7 in comparison to the tips where you have to shoot around +1.  I simply am not good enough to card multiple birdies, no matter which tee I am playing from.  In addition, if you have a blowup hole from the shorter tees that score is going to hurt your handicap more than if you had it from farther back tees with higher course and slope ratings.

I sure agree. If you score the same from the back tees as the front tees it means you hit your 7 iron as close as your PW.  From a scoring standpoint, that sure should not be the case. Seems sometimes folks are more hung up on what club they hit into the green rather than the score they shoot. Isn't the ultimate goal in golf to score the best you can? Isn't developing a knack for scoring more important than how far you can hit your 4 iron?

For a good player yes, maybe I'm wrong about that guy, but most are not good players though, the average weekend guy is not getting into position for a scoring approach often anyway, 8i, 5i, whatever, it's all about finding some consistency for that player and improving, not worrying about teeing it forward to maybe gain a few strokes, and when that player does get better, he'll be moving back to the whites anyway so why bother?

If you figure the average weekend guy hits his 8 iron and his 5 iron the same, then yes. But if you figure the average weekend guy hits his 8 iron on average a whole lot better than his 5 iron, then that still doesn't make sense. I sure know that if I hit a lot of 8 irons into greens I'll sure score a lot better than if I'm hitting 5 irons all day. And FWIW, I have no problem with average weekend guy playing the whites, my problem is average weekend guy playing the blues. Those guys are SLOW and always seem to be in front of me and not just behind me.

I play a lot with a 95 shooter that always wants to play the back tees. I kinda got into it with him one time, and asked him seriously why. "Because that's where I play" "Because I l like to hit all my clubs" "Because I can hit all the greens from back there". Well, #1 no you don't, you shouldn't play the back tees (6600 ish, 6100 ish is middle), you sure hit all your clubs and more from the middle tees, and if you hit 2 one in a million shots in a row sure you can hit all the greens, but fact is, you don't, and won't. So we made a deal, once he can break 90 consistently from the middle tees then we will go to the back tees. We are still playing the middle tees (at least when he plays with me).

Seems lots of folks have their golf manliness ego wrapped up in what tees they play from. Playing from the middle tees is not being neutered. High handicappers don't have to play from the red tees, white is cool, just don't play from tees that require a skill level you don't have yet. Choosing tees should be a handicap-defined issue, not a self perceived distance issue. My personal thing is if you can break 90 easily from whatever tees, feel free to move back as long as you can make the forced carries, etc. And that's regardless of how far you believe you can hit the ball--

Steve

Do you mean that on your typical par 4 that you could be left with anything from a PW to 8i as opposed to a potential 5i? I suppose a 200 yard approach is not unreasonable on the longer courses?

I just played one at 3,600 a side and we have one close by at 7,500. I'll need a wrist rocket, IF, I try it. But I won't unless I play really early in the morning and I want to practice hitting 5 and 3 woods in. So, use an iron or a wood for your approach? Does it matter as long as you get on? Just thinking.

Quote:

I just played one at 3,600 a side and we have one close by at 7,500. I'll need a wrist rocket, IF, I try it. But I won't unless I play really early in the morning and I want to practice hitting 5 and 3 woods in. So, use an iron or a wood for your approach? Does it matter as long as you get on? Just thinking.

Maybe one thing where hitting an iron is advantageous is the extra spin to hold a green?

3600 a side is pretty much where I top out (or beyond) with any iron approach.

I'm guessing that if you can carry any iron cleanly 200 yards, the 7500 yard courses will become more possible? Sounds pretty daunting to me.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The problem is  Ya but that is thinking from a short hitters perspective, think about that in the opposite direction, would you say there is a big difference between hitting a PW and an 8iron into greens? I'd say not nearly as much.

Well, I'm not sure the difference in yardage between PW and 8iron is 40 yards. But even if it is, yes, I would much rather be hitting PW into greens than an 8 iron. Seems kinda obvious. Bottom line is, 40 extra yards per hole makes a huge difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Hoover

The problem is

Well, I'm not sure the difference in yardage between PW and 8iron is 40 yards. But even if it is, yes, I would much rather be hitting PW into greens than an 8 iron. Seems kinda obvious.

Bottom line is, 40 extra yards per hole makes a huge difference.

It kind of depends where you are.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!