Jump to content
IGNORED

i have no interest in "teeing it forward"


Note: This thread is 2211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

As long as you don't hold up others on the course and enjoy it, play whichever tees you like. It may be more difficult to lower you handicap, but each to his own. I would like to say though, that from what I've seen, many would probably enjoy it more by playing a different set of tees. If they could just lose a bit of that pride. I've watched enough people hit three balls from the tee, missing one into the left water hazard, one out of bounds right and one which barely made it past the next tee. In a lot of courses, changing tees makes a big difference to the tee shot. Losing a ball and a couple of shots on the tee shot every second hole can hardly be fun.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to me like the "Teeing It Forward" idea is good for two kinds of people: 1.  People who are slowing everybody else down because they are playing the wrong set of tees. 2.  People w

So very true, indeed ! Dan Camilli devotes an entire chapter to this issue entitled : "Tee It Forward vs. Testosterone"  in his book called "Tee Ceremony: A Cosmic Duffer's Companion to the Anc

Sorry, but I just don't understand this thinking? If you can't shoot 70's from the middle tees, and are a 20 index, why are you playing from the tips? If you enjoy the extra yardage, and aren't slow

People play this game for different reasons. Some play it for business, some to just get out of the house, some because it is a chance to play with their buddies, others because it is a challenge for them. Where they play and what tees they use is up to them and usually the group they play with. The biggest thing is that they can keep up with group in front of them.  The problem I have with some golfers is when they have a really bad hole and playing a par 4 they are still hitting to the green on their 7th or 8th shot and the group behind them is waiting and waiting. On those days when the course is crowded pick up the ball and go to the next hole.

Does playing it forward make for quicker play by a group? I don't know if it does, but it might make it more fun for many who struggle on long holes and long courses. The one thing that bothers me is when a golfer or group of players say I paid my money and I am going to play from the tips. The tips at my course is 7300 and even the top golfers don't usually play there. The next tees are 7000 yards and that is enough for them, yet I see guys who are playing there for the first time go back to the tips and just struggle all day yet still stay at those tees.

The only criteria for me is can I reach the par 4's with two decent hits? Unless the slope is stupid high I can usually play at 6400 yards but prefer something a little shorter. I enjoy the challenge of this game as it never gets boring since the course almost always whips my butt.  Yet I come back the next time with renewed anticipation of maybe this time I can beat it. Every day is a challenge and each hole is a challenge but I know some just want to hit it as far as they can and really don't get caught up in scoring as low as they can each time. Everyone is different and as long as they keep pace I hope they enjoy the day and come back and play again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer to have only one shot to worry about. I'm a 25 because I played longer courses. Now that I am playing shorter courses, my drive is the only really critical and unknown shot. I have not updated my handicap, but i can make pars on occasional par 4s on a 67/113 rated courses. This is because my second shot is usually much more comfortable to hit. Don't know what my handicap is now, but when I play short the game is much more enjoyable for me. I carry 220 yards on average, so I'm not a short hitter. Yet, I really love those short 290 to 320 yard par 4s. Then again, Tuffluck is probably much better with his irons than me on approach shots. Anything over 120 yards is work for me.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Guys, just wanted to pop in and introduce myself, new to the threads. anyway this is an interesting subject to me because I have been debating this very issue in my mind recently. I am reletively new to golf, (year or so) but i am able to play about 3-5 times a wk, and I am dedicated to lowering my score. That being said. I was considering playing a new course because it is longer, and my thinking was if i am ever going to be able to compete on any level I gotta be able to play long. Then i think well i really do get to use all the clubs in my bag would it really matter while im still hacking--no pun intended--my score down. I am now leaning towards if and when i get down to like the high 70's low 80's (consistently that is), i'll move it back and work on my long game to be more complete. . . . . any thoughts? am i on the right track? thanks in advance for any advice--considering im not a threat to anyone at this point except mayeb myself . . .lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently read a very interesting article on playing from the back tees v. Forward tees. Basically, the author was advocating that anyone who has been playing golf for some time should be playing from the back tees regardless of handicap because the game was meant to be challenging and difficult, therefore failing to play from the longest tees out there really does not take advantage of how the course was to be played. Made sense to me. Of course, pace of play should be taken into account, and everyone should make a conscious effort to make the game enjoyable for everyone, including those paying behind. Sometimes, that means moving up to the front tees.
Link to post
Share on other sites

hey twisted, welcome to the sandtrap - its really a fantastic site with a lot of great info.

regarding this new course, pretty much any course will have a set of tees that are appropriate for you.  play the tees that give you a middle iron average for a second shot, like a 7 iron.  dont play tees that give you mostly woods and hybrids and 3 irons in for a second shot.

also, work on your full swing/long game.  people like to say that a high handicapper needs to focus on short game but thats really not true.  work on your long game and the short game will come later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Odogesq

I recently read a very interesting article on playing from the back tees v. Forward tees. Basically, the author was advocating that anyone who has been playing golf for some time should be playing from the back tees regardless of handicap because the game was meant to be challenging and difficult, therefore failing to play from the longest tees out there really does not take advantage of how the course was to be played. Made sense to me. Of course, pace of play should be taken into account, and everyone should make a conscious effort to make the game enjoyable for everyone, including those paying behind. Sometimes, that means moving up to the front tees.

I heartily disagree with the author.  A player who typically hits a 200 yard drive has no business playing a 7500 yard course.  That would be just stupid.  Besides that, a properly designed golf course offers challenge from any tee provided that the player is playing from a tee which suits his length and ability.  If playing from the middle tees removes the difficulty, then the course wasn't very well conceived in the first place.

I've been playing for 40 years (and never lower than a 10 course handicap) and while I was once capable of playing a 7000 yard course, it was never a particularly enjoyable experience.  There are far more factors than just length of time in the game which should be considered when choosing a tee set.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

hey twisted, welcome to the sandtrap - its really a fantastic site with a lot of great info. regarding this new course, pretty much any course will have a set of tees that are appropriate for you.  play the tees that give you a middle iron average for a second shot, like a 7 iron.  dont play tees that give you mostly woods and hybrids and 3 irons in for a second shot. also, work on your full swing/long game.  people like to say that a high handicapper needs to focus on short game but thats really not true.  work on your long game and the short game will come later.

[quote name="colin007" url="/t/63387/i-have-no-interest-in-teeing-it-forward/90#post_789615"]hey twisted, welcome to the sandtrap - its really a fantastic site with a lot of great info. regarding this new course, pretty much any course will have a set of tees that are appropriate for you.  play the tees that give you a middle iron average for a second shot, like a 7 iron.  dont play tees that give you mostly woods and hybrids and 3 irons in for a second shot. also, work on your full swing/long game.  people like to say that a high handicapper needs to focus on short game but thats really not true.  work on your long game and the short game will come later. [/quote] I have to disagree with the last part. Last tourney I played in was an a,b,c, senior tournament. I drove further than the A&B; players, hit more fairways than the A. the difference was all short game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by meenman

I have to disagree with the last part. Last tourney I played in was an a,b,c, senior tournament.

I drove further than the A&B; players, hit more fairways than the A. the difference was all short game.


That doesn't necessarily mean his last statement is untrue.  Maybe your short game just hasn't come around yet ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No doubt some struggle with different parts of the game but in my experience a golfers skill across the board is relative to their handicap, if they truly have one. I don't see people out there hitting accurate, long drives and falling apart around the green just like I don't see an excellent short game from people wild off the tee. You may have a weakness and strength but it's not so lopsided that it's like playing two different things.

A guy playing to a 20 is only scoring 20 over on occassion, they'll have days where they shoot under that mark and lots of days over the mark. The index represents your potential not your average. To me that's telling regardless of what the number is. Your short game would have to be nonexistent to negate any sort of consistent long game to lose that many strokes. This is why people doubt the intentions of high cappers playing from the tips. Because we've seen these types on the course and they struggle from everywhere.

I was behind a group of these guys on Sun. In 9 holes I saw one or two decent drives from the three of them. I don't doubt a few of them managed to break 100 but they fought hard to do it recovering from all the errant shots. It's not that their good shots don't fly far it's that their misses left them with really tough 2nd and usually 3rd shots because they were constantly trying to recover. Everyone has different ideas about this but my belief is you play from where you have the best chance of hitting GIR not assuming you'll hit your best shot but that you'll have a chance after hitting your average shot, which could be anywhere from so-so to good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tip tees these days weren't designed to be the course most play. They were put in for the sake of making 8000 yard courses possible. Classic courses are being "ruined, changed, improved, tinkered with", etc.. by putting tee boxes in that weren't even in Jones', Ross', or Tillinghast's minds when they designed the place. Courses now have tee boxes that are across streets, or across lakes that didn't exist at the time. Tee boxes that are so far back that there is a rest stop along the way. That's just ridiculous to assume that a 20 should march back there and give it a go because golf was "meant to be a challenge". Golf is meant to be a challenge WITHOUT being a chore. And as it is, Golf is a challenge on it's own without needing map reading skills and GPS units to FIND a tee box.
Link to post
Share on other sites

there is certainly a point of diminishing results as far as tees go.  if you drive 300 yards, a 400 yard par 4 and a 480 yard par 4 are still reachable in two for you.  but if you drive 220 yards, the 480 yard tee has turned the hole into a par 5 for you, which doesn't make much sense.  the fact that the guy who drives 300 yards can only hit the fairway 1 time out of every 10 tries, and that the 220 yard driver hits the fairway 9 times out of 10 really is completely irrelevant as far as the distance from tee to hole goes IMO.  one guy needs to practice more and the other guy needs to eat more wheaties...(only kidding about that last part).  ain't got nothing to do with the tips, because the 300 yard driver has the same odds of hitting the fairway no matter the distance of that hole.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by tuffluck

there is certainly a point of diminishing results as far as tees go.  if you drive 300 yards, a 400 yard par 4 and a 480 yard par 4 are still reachable in two for you.  but if you drive 220 yards, the 480 yard tee has turned the hole into a par 5 for you, which doesn't make much sense.  the fact that the guy who drives 300 yards can only hit the fairway 1 time out of every 10 tries, and that the 220 yard driver hits the fairway 9 times out of 10 really is completely irrelevant as far as the distance from tee to hole goes IMO.  one guy needs to practice more and the other guy needs to eat more wheaties...(only kidding about that last part).  ain't got nothing to do with the tips, because the 300 yard driver has the same odds of hitting the fairway no matter the distance of that hole.

Unless he uses a 3W or long iron from the shorter tees instead of driver on every hole.  On my home course I typically use driver on only 3 holes on the front 9, Although that can change when the wind gets up.  On the back 9, I use driver on all but the 2 par 3's.  This is from the 6500 yard middle tees.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tuffluck

there is certainly a point of diminishing results as far as tees go.  if you drive 300 yards, a 400 yard par 4 and a 480 yard par 4 are still reachable in two for you.  but if you drive 220 yards, the 480 yard tee has turned the hole into a par 5 for you, which doesn't make much sense.  the fact that the guy who drives 300 yards can only hit the fairway 1 time out of every 10 tries, and that the 220 yard driver hits the fairway 9 times out of 10 really is completely irrelevant as far as the distance from tee to hole goes IMO.  one guy needs to practice more and the other guy needs to eat more wheaties...(only kidding about that last part).  ain't got nothing to do with the tips, because the 300 yard driver has the same odds of hitting the fairway no matter the distance of that hole.

This is wishful thinking at best unless we're talking about someone like Tiger who averages a hair less than 300y. The reality for all but the longest and most consistent golfers, folks like Tiger, is the occasional 300y drive is not a prominent part of their game. Sure we get ahold of one once in a while but example you gave really isn't reality. I average more than 220 and I'd back that up to 200 if I could hit 90% of the fairways because I can't think of one course I play where there is more than a couple of par 4's over 425 from any tee. I play from the tips at my home course (6400y) and the longest par 4 there is 449.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
there is certainly a point of diminishing results as far as tees go.  if you drive 300 yards, a 400 yard par 4 and a 480 yard par 4 are still reachable in two for you.  but if you drive 220 yards, the 480 yard tee has turned the hole into a par 5 for you, which doesn't make much sense.  the fact that the guy who drives 300 yards can only hit the fairway 1 time out of every 10 tries, and that the 220 yard driver hits the fairway 9 times out of 10 really is completely irrelevant as far as the distance from tee to hole goes IMO.  one guy needs to practice more and the other guy needs to eat more wheaties...(only kidding about that last part).  ain't got nothing to do with the tips, because the 300 yard driver has the same odds of hitting the fairway no matter the distance of that hole.

I just wanted to chime in, for the record I feel you should play from whatever tee box you like as long as you don't adversely affect others. However, I disagree with your example. A guy who hits the fairway 10% of the time is not very likely to be at his desired landing area in terms of yardage. A mishit affects both accuracy and distance. So, in your example, the guy who set up for a 300 yard drive but missed has likely found himself only about 260 off the tee and in the rough (or worse). Long hitter or not, it's a hard shot. I'd honestly rather be the 220 guy at that point, 90% fairway's hit means. He is likely to score no worse than 5 on this hole. Should have hit 3w... I'm just speaking from experience here. I usually play my driver 270. Sometimes I'll stripe it down the middle 280-285. Sometimes I'll slice it and hit it 240. Trust me the hole gets harder when its 30 yards longer than you expected. Your last statement is an oversimplification too. If there's a dogleg in either direction, there's a good chance that being long off the tee will hurt you even if you pure it. You can definitely drive a ball through a fairway as well. I guess my point is that a 300 yard driver of the ball has a lot of options off the tee he should be exercising to hit more fairways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

This is wishful thinking at best unless we're talking about someone like Tiger who averages a hair less than 300y. The reality for all but the longest and most consistent golfers, folks like Tiger, is the occasional 300y drive is not a prominent part of their game. Sure we get ahold of one once in a while but example you gave really isn't reality. I average more than 220 and I'd back that up to 200 if I could hit 90% of the fairways because I can't think of one course I play where there is more than a couple of par 4's over 425 from any tee. I play from the tips at my home course (6400y) and the longest par 4 there is 449.


Agreed, good post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually play from the whites and most everyone I know does also, however every now and then I like to mix it up and play from the back tees.  I like it because I usually use different clubs for my second shot, kinda keeps me in practice with all clubs.  I would not do it if I were holding up the course, but I find that it usually does not make much difference in time for me.  Tuffluck seems to enjoy the challenge that the back tees provide and is not worried about the extra strokes they cause him, I for one cannot fault him for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 2211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • At the moment I turn my hips by rotating my pelvis clockwise, but would it be better to rotate your hips by lowering your left knee, causing the right hip to rotate backwords?   Or is this an inferior method to using your pelvis to rotate your hips?   Reason I ask is because when I use my pelvis I often experience reverse pivot of my upper spine at the end of the backswing, because my pelvis isn't rotating straight across when I reach the end of the backswing, I'm shifting it which is putting it out of line, causing the upper spine to go out of line  
    • Wisconsin Trip Composite Course Hole #1 - Sand Valley  This was the best starting hole of the four courses. SV #1 is a drivable par 4 for some, but one were driver can give you an easy pitch or a putt for eagle, but also put you in a really nasty spot. A 3-wood off the tee leaves you with a difficult 2nd short shot to the green due to the green complex. I really like this hole.  Hole #2 - Mammoth Dunes A solid par 4 with a wide landing area off the tee, but a bunker in the fairway to challenge the direct angle to the green. I think LLB #2 is just a bad hole. Sand Valley #2 is just not enjoyable because of how penalizing it is to miss the green anywhere but short.  Hole #3 - Sand Valley I like this par 3, it has a lot of variety in pin positions. If the pin is left, you can challenge it or end up in a very nasty lie left or bail out right. This was close with MD #3, a good par 5 where you can challenge the hole on the left to cut some distance off your 2nd shot.  Hole #4 - Sand Valley An OK par 5, but its really that the other holes were not as strong as this one. They were all par 3's, but non of them were all that interesting.  Hole #5 - Sand Valley This is a really good downhill par 3. It's not a long par 3, and the green his huge, but with a lot of contour. The wind can swirl a bit making the shot selection difficult. I like the view and challenge of this par 3. Hole #6 - Lawsonia  A nice long par 4 with a difficult 2nd down hill, to a green with a false front. I like this hole, a solid straight forward par 4. I think if the tees at Sand Valley allowed you to see the entire fairway to the left, it would take this spot.  Hole #7 - Sand Valley This might be a controversial pick for some, but I liked this par 5. You do have to check the yardages, but you either challenge the hole with a driver, and have a view of the green where you can challenge carrying the long bunker, or you can lay back off the tee and then play out to the right for your 2nd shot. It is a hole that you need to play once to realize how far right you can go.  Hole #8 - Sand Valley  A par 3 up the hill, that is protected left and short. The green has some big contours. It's a nice difficult short par 3.  Hole #9 - Lawsonia  This is a nice par 5, where you actually get to see the hole from the tee box. You have to challenge the hole on the right to have a shot of getting near the green in two, but with it being a dog leg right, there is plenty of landing area off the tee.  Hole #10 - Mammoth Dunes This was a tough decision between MD and SV. I went with MD because I liked the challenge of this short par 4 that has a tricky 2nd shot to the green. You can challenge the green off the tee, but you will be left with a tough short game shot. If you lay back, then the approach shot is also difficult. SV is a good par 5 that is reachable in two, but for me the drive is not interesting. Honestly, this is close to a toss up for me.  Hole #11 - Lawsonia This is just a solid par 5. With a good tee shot, you have a great chance at going at this green in two, which is large, but protected by three bunkers.  Hole #12 - Sand Valley I really like this par 5. It's a split fairway par 5, where the landing area for most will be a wide area. You just have to miss the two trees that split the fairway. The fairway to the left is elevated giving you a great look of the hole. If you have the distance, you can challenge the gap between the two bunkers that constrict the fairway where they meet up. There is a nice bank to the left of the green that funnels shots back to the green.  Hole #13 - Lawsonia I like this par 5 because if you hit a great 2nd shot you can reach the green in two, or come up just short for an easy pitch. If you miss hit the 2nd shot you will hit a big bank and funnel back down into a small valley about 80-120 yards short of the green. Then you will have a tricky 3rd shot. A good challenging longer par 5.  Hole #14 - Mammoth Dunes This is a good short par 4, with a good drive you can challenge the front of the green. The bunker blocks the line to the green and forces a good strike. You can lay up short left which leaves you with a more blind shot to the green, but a flat lie. You can lay up right, have a clear look at the green, but maybe get a more challenging lie for your 2nd shot. The green is large, with a slight backstop to the left to catch errant shots.   Hole #15 - Lawsonia I like this par 4, it requires a good drive to have a short iron into a small green that is tucked back to the right. It is a good mix of hitting a good line off the tee to get a good angle to a smaller green. A nice challenging shorter par 4.  Hole #16 - Sand Valley I really like this par 4. The bunker challenges you off the tee to hit a great shot to have a mid iron into the green. If you clear the bunker, there is a big slope the rewards you with extra yardage. You have a line left of the bunker that is super aggressive. You can lay back right, but have a long iron into the green. The green is pretty large with bail out areas left and slightly long left. A bunker protects the front right. Any shot that ends up short is a very tricky pitch shot. Just a really challenging, and rewarding par 4.  Hole #17 - Mammoth  Mostly, I went with Mammoth because it was a par 4, and it was the better par 4 over Lawsonia. This was probably the weakest collection of holes over the four courses. SV par 3 was interesting at first, but I wish you could see the green. LLB par 3 is just a generic mid range par 3.  Hole #18 - Sand Valley If it wasn't for SV having one of the best finishing holes I've played in a long time, this would be extremely hard to pick. At SV, the finishing hole is a visually stunning par 5 up the hill. You have to navigate bunkers in the middle of the fairway, and bunkers that encroach on the right and left side. You can lay back to a wider landing area, or hit driver to make this a reachable par 5. The 2nd shot is tricky with a boomerang shaped green that lets you funnel a cut off some slopes. Right is a very difficult bunker shot. Just enough risk to make you think about going for it in two. Just a fantastic finishing hole.  Sand Valley - 9, Mammoth - 4, Lawsonia - 5, LLB - 0 Overall, Sand Valley took half of the holes for me. Lawsonia came in 2nd, but because the last 10 golf holes are very strong contenders. LLB didn't get picked, mostly because a lot of their holes were just OK to golf, but their very good holes got out shined by the other courses.   
    • Day 281: Played 18 this morning. Driver, for the most part, was excellent. Made a slight change in my backswing that we worked on in Erie with the head less out at A2. Combined it with the long, slow high feel.   Wedges were coming out low, so I went to the range after to work on that. 
    • Yeah…but that’s what he wants! Lol. He mentions slicing the ball outta the range but somehow thinks that will translate to getting someone to rotate through to get that face square. I didn’t re-watch in slow motion but I’d bet he’s not even doing what the thinks he’s doing.
    • Another 75 today. I've been playing my best golf ever my last 4 rounds I've gone +3, +4, +3, +3. It has been a consistent flow of the rounds though. I get off to a bad first 3-4 holes and wind up a few over par, get super hot make a bunch of birdies and fight back to even par or better, then the last few holes I fall apart. Just need to clean some stuff up, hit more fairways, make a few more par saving putts and I'm right there. One of my goals for the year was to have an under par round I think it's just a matter of time I need to just keep pushing. The putting work I've been doing recently has definitely helped a ton not that long ago my career high was 3 birdies but the last 4 rounds I've had 5 in two, 4 in another, and 2 in the last so that is confidence inspiring. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. ercxi
      ercxi
      (33 years old)
    2. Garea51
      Garea51
      (70 years old)
    3. iamwardicus
      iamwardicus
      (37 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...