IGNORED

what is your go to shot from 100 yards in the fairway?

onthehunt526
Note: This thread is 2894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by whatwoodtigerdo

So what kind of swing speed is needed to hit a SW 100 yard with a high trajectory?

No clue, never had mine measured.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So what kind of swing speed is needed to hit a SW 100 yard with a high trajectory?

For a 54-56 degree SW to comfortably go 100 yards with high trajectory you would be looking at someone who has a swing speed with the driver @ 100.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

For a 54-56 degree SW to comfortably go 100 yards with high trajectory you would be looking at someone who has a swing speed with the driver @ 100.

What would that equate to average drive wise? My 56 actually carries over 100 and my drives are typically about 280-300 depending on roll when I hit the fairway.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Depends upon the club.

The head on my old burner SW looked nearly the same size as my current hybrid. I used to hit that club anywhere from 90 yards to 100 yards. I used it for the par 3 courses in my area. It's ridiculous, and I overshot some greens with it on the par 3s. No control at all.

My new clubs have much smaller heads on them, and I only hit my PW about 105 but with a much more consistent distance.

My Taylormade RAC 52/60 degree wedges look and feel about 50% bigger than my PW. I hit the 52 degree about 100 yards on a comfortable full swing and the 60 degree about 70 to 80 yards (not reliable). So, I only use the 60 for chipping.

For reference, I only drive about 220 yards (carry).

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Smooth PW for me. How low do you guys hit your wedges to get SW there?

I play my 54° to 100 yards on a full swing, with a very high trajectory and soft landing. Hands well forward at address and hands forward at and through impact

Many members here typically play their PW from 130-140, while some play it 150 (very, very few).

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

What would that equate to average drive wise? My 56 actually carries over 100 and my drives are typically about 280-300 depending on roll when I hit the fairway.

That would seem about right. It's just hard to get my head around that distance. I swing around 95 to 97 MPH with my driver and go about 265-275 but my SW goes about 70-75 at best. That's why I was asking. Even though it is the worst club in my bag I probably need to work on that.

James

That would seem about right. It's just hard to get my head around that distance. I swing around 95 to 97 MPH with my driver and go about 265-275 but my SW goes about 70-75 at best. That's why I was asking. Even though it is the worst club in my bag I probably need to work on that.

Stop flipping!

I think you guys are a bit off on your distances.  Depending on the source, a 95-97 swing speed would result in around a 230 driver carry.  For 280-300 total you're looking in the 110-120ish range I believe.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I think you guys are a bit off on your distances.  Depending on the source, a 95-97 swing speed would result in around a 230 driver carry.  For 280-300 total you're looking in the 110-120ish range I believe.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I was hitting in a launch monitor at golf galaxy a while back for quite some time and hitting 250-260, not sure what the carry was but it had to be close to that because the reading said I had a ridiculous amount of back spin and back then I hit with a 10.5 and it did not go far once it landed. Chart I found shows 90 MPH as 232 carry and 100 MPH at 258 carry. So 97 would be in the 252 range I guess.

James

I was hitting in a launch monitor at golf galaxy a while back for quite some time and hitting 250-260, not sure what the carry was but it had to be close to that because the reading said I had a ridiculous amount of back spin and back then I hit with a 10.5 and it did not go far once it landed. Chart I found shows 90 MPH as 232 carry and 100 MPH at 258 carry. So 97 would be in the 252 range I guess.

I'm hitting a 10.5 driver.... I really hate how high the ball flies and I know I don't really get any roll. Actually I've seen several times a dent where my ball hit and the ball is a foot to the side or less.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I'm hitting a 10.5 driver.... I really hate how high the ball flies and I know I don't really get any roll. Actually I've seen several times a dent where my ball hit and the ball is a foot to the side or less.

I had this dreaded ball flight for a year before I moved to a stiffer shaft and a 9.5° loft. I also opted for the Titleist 910 D3 head, which all combined provided me with a piercing launch that runs and rolls for a change.

I used to have my ball laying behind my ball mark in the fairway, similar to an approach shot on a green.

Quote:
I had this dreaded ball flight for a year before I moved to a stiffer shaft and a 9.5° loft. I also opted for the Titleist 910 D3 head, which all combined provide me with a piercing launch that runs and rolls for a change.

I used to have my ball laying behind my ball mark in the fairway, similar to an approach shot on a green.

Yep been there, done that exact thing. I went to stiff shaft and actually hit the R11S on the lowest setting which is 8 degree. Ball flight is much better.

James

Yep been there, done that exact thing. I went to stiff shaft and actually hit the R11S on the lowest setting which is 8 degree. Ball flight is much better.

Very similar...stiff shaft on my BRZ set down to 8 degrees.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I already play a stiff shaft so I've been looking for a driver with about 8.5-9 loft to get more roll. It's crazy to think I want more distance when so many of my drives recently are around 300.... But just knowing I'm losing distance on my drives due to lack of roll is annoying

Probably the funniest thing about the distance I've been hitting is that I'm 5'11" 150 lbs. and drive further guys that have 50+ lbs on me. They just kind of look at me and say "how does someone your size hit that far" haha. Priceless.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I already play a stiff shaft so I've been looking for a driver with about 8.5-9 loft to get more roll. It's crazy to think I want more distance when so many of my drives recently are around 300.... But just knowing I'm losing distance on my drives due to lack of roll is annoying

I wouldn't assume you're losing distance. Reduce loft and you might carry 275 on a good drive and roll 15 yards instead of carrying 295 and rolling 5 yards. A ton of PGA drives land and barely roll.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I wouldn't assume you're losing distance. Reduce loft and you might carry 275 on a good drive and roll 15 yards instead of carrying 295 and rolling 5 yards. A ton of PGA drives land and barely roll.

Good point... I may just need to find a cheap stiff shaft lower loft driver and play a few rounds with it to see if it's worthwhile...

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 2894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!