IGNORED

what is your go to shot from 100 yards in the fairway?

onthehunt526
Note: This thread is 2914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I already play a stiff shaft so I've been looking for a driver with about 8.5-9 loft to get more roll. It's crazy to think I want more distance when so many of my drives recently are around 300.... But just knowing I'm losing distance on my drives due to lack of roll is annoying

Probably the funniest thing about the distance I've been hitting is that I'm 5'11" 150 lbs. and drive further guys that have 50+ lbs on me. They just kind of look at me and say "how does someone your size hit that far" haha. Priceless.

Are you really a 26 handicap with 300 yd drives? I know that the two aren't always related, just curious.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Originally Posted by smellysell

Are you really a 26 handicap with 300 yd drives? I know that the two aren't always related, just curious.

I drove the ball further when I was worse...as I'm tweaking my swing and lowering my handicap, my drives have gone down from an average of around 280-290 to about 260-270. Probably temporary, but just proves that sometimes distance isn't always proportional to handicap.

My buddy Maxx is about the same level as me, and I've seen him crush it 350 yards...by far the longest hitter I've ever played with.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's probably not an accurate handicap at this point. Though I'm sure my HC is at best 18. I still have some bad holes that cause my score to be higher. As an example, yesterday's round I had a 4 over and 3 3 overs. So that's already +13 for 4 holes on the round that I was +21. Other than that I was pars and bogeys, one bird and I think one double.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Can't say I've seen many amateurs hit the same drive, distance or direction, over and over. I am all over the place. Most are somewhat close to my average, 15-30 yds, but it's not uncommon for a few to be much shorter or longer every time I play. Honestly I'd like to be able to say I am consistent with any club but I can't. There's always a lot of WTF on the course for me.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Quote:

I already play a stiff shaft so I've been looking for a driver with about 8.5-9 loft to get more roll. It's crazy to think I want more distance when so many of my drives recently are around 300.... But just knowing I'm losing distance on my drives due to lack of roll is annoying

I wouldn't assume you're losing distance. Reduce loft and you might carry 275 on a good drive and roll 15 yards instead of carrying 295 and rolling 5 yards. A ton of PGA drives land and barely roll.

It's actually a preferred style for a lot of players because carry is much more controllable than roll.  Jack Nicklaus played a high fade with the driver his whole career and never tried to change it because he got sufficient distance and much better control.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

My 100 yard shot from the fairway is 56* sand wedge.  My favorite distances to be in the fairway are 125, 115, 100 and 85.  That distance fits my 4 wedges perfectly.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It's actually a preferred style for a lot of players because carry is much more controllable than roll.  Jack Nicklaus played a high fade with the driver his whole career and never tried to change it because he got sufficient distance and much better control.

Interesting reading this.  I have not been real happy with my ball flight lately and yesterday at the range I decided to switch my RBZ driver to a higher loft with the last 5 balls I hit.  I really liked the results.  Plan to try out the new loft tomorrow and see what the results look like on the course itself.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Probably the funniest thing about the distance I've been hitting is that I'm 5'11" 150 lbs. and drive further guys that have 50+ lbs on me. They just kind of look at me and say "how does someone your size hit that far" haha. Priceless.

Jamie Sadlowski is your size (maybe 8 pounds heavier), he drives 410. You must still have a really long backswing to get to 300.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I did notice that as I improved my swing mechanics my drives became more accurate, and farther.

Some people don't need good swing mechanics to "hit the ball out of the park" so to speak.

I'm going back to topic before someone tells us to...

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

Jamie Sadlowski is your size (maybe 8 pounds heavier), he drives 410. You must still have a really long backswing to get to 300.

Yeah, my dad always tries to say I over-swing because of how far passed parallel I go. *back to the subject* I think having the bump and run as well as the high soft landing shot are good to have, some situations work better with one over the other. No reason to take one shot out of the bag for another if you can do both.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Why not forget about the driver nightmare, accept the "300 yard drives" and work on the fact that from 100 yards you obviously can't get down in less than 5 shots most of the time? (26 hcp)

What is "priceless" is the idea that someone with the coordination to hit the ball 300 yards would be beaten by many on their first golf outing in every other department of the game.

Your bluff has been called and a reality check is in order.

Why can someone who can hit it 300 not be able to hit it 100, 50 or 25?

In any case, the roll you aren't getting can be attributed to many things other than loft.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Why not forget about the driver nightmare, accept the "300 yard drives" and work on the fact that from 100 yards you obviously can't get down in less than 5 shots most of the time? (26 hcp) What is "priceless" is the idea that someone with the coordination to hit the ball 300 yards would be beaten by many on their first golf outing in every other department of the game. Your bluff has been called and a reality check is in order. Why can someone who can hit it 300 not be able to hit it 100, 50 or 25? In any case, the roll you aren't getting can be attributed to many things other than loft.

What makes you think he only has 100 yards left? 300 yards is a long way to go wrong ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by Lihu

What makes you think he only has 100 yards left? 300 yards is a long way to go wrong

Because the topic is "what is your go to shot from 100 yards in the fairway"...

Originally Posted by Shorty

Why not forget about the driver nightmare, accept the "300 yard drives" and work on the fact that from 100 yards you obviously can't get down in less than 5 shots most of the time? (26 hcp)

What is "priceless" is the idea that someone with the coordination to hit the ball 300 yards would be beaten by many on their first golf outing in every other department of the game.

Your bluff has been called and a reality check is in order.

Why can someone who can hit it 300 not be able to hit it 100, 50 or 25?

In any case, the roll you aren't getting can be attributed to many things other than loft.

Well, the problem I run into is finding the right shot for the shorter stuff. When I start messing with partial swings my timing gets way off, making it harder to hit the shot in the direction I want. Also, I do need to update my handicap. You can talk crap all you want but you aren't calling any bluff. Long tee shots aren't hard to do, many people can crush a drive but are unable to score well. I've never worked on partial swings and pitch/chip shots, that is why my scores suffer. My putting isn't bad but it's not great, I still have a few 3 putts per round. Typically my bad holes are due to an ob shot/lost ball.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Originally Posted by Spyder

Because the topic is "what is your go to shot from 100 yards in the fairway"...

Ah yes, of course. What was I thinking...

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Well, the problem I run into is finding the right shot for the shorter stuff. When I start messing with partial swings my timing gets way off, making it harder to hit the shot in the direction I want. Also, I do need to update my handicap. You can talk crap all you want but you aren't calling any bluff. Long tee shots aren't hard to do, many people can crush a drive but are unable to score well. I've never worked on partial swings and pitch/chip shots, that is why my scores suffer. My putting isn't bad but it's not great, I still have a few 3 putts per round. Typically my bad holes are due to an ob shot/lost ball.

This is off topic, but I used to OB this all the time. As a matter of fact, I still do. Thus, the blowup holes carding an 8 or more on a par 4 hole. I did have a run of 37 holes with one ball before retiring it to my chipping practice balls. This is only because I was starting to learn a new swing and only hit 1/2 to 3/4 swings on everything (hence, my short distances).

On Topic.

My to go shot from 100 yards is still a 52 wedge. Every time I am near a red fairway post, I use it. Sometimes, a little short or far (like 2 yards) on a par 4.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!