IGNORED

what is your go to shot from 100 yards in the fairway?

onthehunt526
Note: This thread is 2915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For me, 100 yards and in are feel shots. But from 100 on the dot I am most comfortable with my PW. From 100 in I almost always use my PW, I just take the club back shorter distance for shorter shots but explode through the ball. I think to many people get hung up on 1/2 or 3/4 swings and swing softer which will always through your tempo off. Shorter swing less room for error. Just my two cents. The thing I see most that people have trouble with from 100 in is staying behind the ball trying to scoop it up which leads to nasty topped balls. Or they try to swing SLOW which screws there tempo off.

Bobby

3 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

That's a choked down 56 for me. 

Or a topped driver...

Hmmm... I never thought of incorporating the "topped driver" for a 100 yd. approach. I may need to try that! :-D

I used to think my 100 yd club was a full gap wedge but I was fooling my self.  So probably a choked down PW.

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 iron to lob wedge. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Anything from a 56 degree wedge to a 9 iron, depending on what I'm trying to do.

I'd say about 50% of the time it's a 56 degree. Second most often is gap wedge, then PW. Once in a while a 9 iron.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

It just depends . .if it's uphill, downhill, windy . .from what direction  . .how I want the ball to land and, the all important question "better to be long or short?".  It could be just about any club under the right circumstances.  Last round I played I had just about a 100 yard shot to the green that I played a 4w on the ground . . . 

My "100" yard club is SW on the range, GW on the course.  I could pull a SW on the course if I was really smashing them that day but typically I club 1 down when I play.   

full 56 
or
3/4 50 (Gap wedge)

Depending on variables.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

that's a full 56 (SW) or an easy 50 (GW) - So the 56, but if I'm not feeling like I'm hitting clean that day I'll opt for the 50...

Or, it's a half swing 8i if I need to flight it low or just feel like chipping...

Bill - 

16 minutes ago, colin007 said:

5/8ths PW for me.

Are you sure it's not 0.626 of a PW? I mean, rounding to the nearest 8th is possibly not accurate enough? :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I typically hit my 56* wedge 105 yards and with some zip it ends up 100-102 yards.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

15 hours ago, Howling Coyote said:

Well assuming the ground is level and there are no trees, probably a PW or 9.  If I am swinging well that day, definitely the PW.

Also I don't about everyone else, but half swing versus full swing is only about 10 yds.  The ball just flies higher with the full swing.  If I want more distance, and lower trajectory, set the ball back in my stance and then distance will change more.

I want to restate myself.  When I do a full swing, it will be with anywhere from 50% -100% power.  When I do this the distance is about the same.  If I want a shorter distance I will use some fraction of a swing (like 1/3, 1/2, 2/3) with less power than stated fraction.  I am always more accurate when I use less power (about 10% less) than the swing extent.

14 hours ago, Lihu said:

Very lofty. That's why some people are recommending setting it back in the stance and an abbreviating the finish like Phil Mickelson's technique for punch shots to lower the flight.

It just find it really curious why I am getting so many strong responses from @No Mulligans and @SavvySwede without any concrete examples why what I am stating does not make sense to them? Very strange. . .

Strong responses, really?

Concrete examples, I didn't know that was a requirement in a discussion where we state our opinions/preferences... anyways,  @mvmac wrote:

Being able to "flight" your wedges can make it easier to control distance and spin. If you go full out on a wedge you risk the ball ballooning, making distance control and spin control a guessing game. If you watch the pros or a better player they tend to hit their wedges with a lower, boring ball flight. To do this you need to grip down, play the ball a little further back and make more of a 3/4 swing.

I make this swing a lot from 75-85 yards with my gap wedge and 95-110 with my pitching wedge. I prefer it over hitting a full lob/gap because it's a shorter swing, I can still make a hard aggressive move on the downswing and I feel like my contact/impact is more consistent so I have a better chance at hitting my yardage. It's also a great shot to have when you're between distances

See this thread:  

I hit a full 50-degree to 100 yards as well.  No I don't "flight" it, yes it balloons high in the air, no it doesn't spin back, and yes I can hit it that distance in light wind every time assuming clean contact.

33 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Strong responses, really?

Concrete examples, I didn't know that was a requirement in a discussion where we state our opinions/preferences... anyways,  @mvmac wrote:

See this thread:  

Strong might have been too strong*** a word then. :-D

Yes, I just read through the posted thread. Very good information, but it turns out I do those things anyway just from trying out all kinds of stuff during my practice rounds. Even though I usually play only one ball, by trying different things I get the "opportunity" to hit balls from many different awkward positions.

What you posted is definitely a good shot to have in your bag when you need to hit low or into the wind, but there are other shots for this distance that work equally well for other situations. For instance, a high pitch shot is useful for going over bunkers and small trees.

There are many other types of shots as well, and that's all I was trying to state. The other thing I stated was that by stating that it's just a partial shot was not quite right either as some people might need to hit a full 9i or even a longer club to reach 100 yards. That's why I stated that it's still a pretty stout distance for many golfers.

***I meant something more like "vigorous" or "robust" as if it were a "rule" or something. "rule" might be too strong as well. My language skills still suck. :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!