IGNORED

what is your go to shot from 100 yards in the fairway?

onthehunt526
Note: This thread is 2921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today it was a pulled and fatted 54* SW that traveled about 70 yards and found a watery grave ... After my biggest drive of the day (a 300-ish yarder that was NOT ;) on a severely downhill sloped fairway, but rather all muscle - yeah, that's the ticket!)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This last weekend I had a GPS built into the cart. 52 wedge was perfect.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 3 weeks later...
I've been thinking about this thread now everytime I line up a shot under 100 yds... Seems for some reason I can't get more than 90ish yds with my 52 lately... Could be my ball position as well...

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

How are you guys getting your 54 lower to do that 1 hop stoo shot? On topic its almost a full 50 for me not going after it but a smooth swing.

I've been thinking about this thread now everytime I line up a shot under 100 yds... Seems for some reason I can't get more than 90ish yds with my 52 lately... Could be my ball position as well...

I only get about 95-100 carry. I'm trying to reduce my roll, but its still around 2 to 5 yards. My 60 is about 80 yards maximum, but I can't hit it reliably. I use it for short pitches up to 40-50 yards. I feel like these are perfect distances for my game.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

How are you guys getting your 54 lower to do that 1 hop stoo shot? On topic its almost a full 50 for me not going after it but a smooth swing.

I don't carry a sand wedge anymore, but I used to hit my burner sw about 100 with a really high trajectory. 100 yards is my favorite distance, now with a 52. I am sure stronger players can hit their 54 the same distance.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

if i only need to hit the middle of the green..probably my 56 cleveland or 52 cleveland baby fade depending on how big the green is.

you would be surprised how many people can hit this shot but cannot hit a 40 yd pitch shot.

tough distance for me.  I only have a PW and a 60.  Too much for the 60 so I have to experiment with the PW.  Often, I am too short or too long.  Best result is the same shot you use, a 3/4 knock down PW that lands in front of the green and rolls up.  Trouble is a lip that stops the roll or hitting green and having it roll through.  I don't generate much backspin to check the PW.

recently I obtained a new driver and am hitting well and farther putting myself at 70-120 from many greens on my course.  120 is ok, 110 is is wild and I must practice and get better from that distance.  I know if I got a 56 I would improve because I would have a full swing shot at some of the distances and more control on the lesser swings than with the PW.

Originally Posted by jayisu

tough distance for me.  I only have a PW and a 60.  Too much for the 60 so I have to experiment with the PW.  Often, I am too short or too long.  Best result is the same shot you use, a 3/4 knock down PW that lands in front of the green and rolls up.  Trouble is a lip that stops the roll or hitting green and having it roll through.  I don't generate much backspin to check the PW.

recently I obtained a new driver and am hitting well and farther putting myself at 70-120 from many greens on my course.  120 is ok, 110 is is wild and I must practice and get better from that distance.  I know if I got a 56 I would improve because I would have a full swing shot at some of the distances and more control on the lesser swings than with the PW.

You might even consider a 54° to better even out that gap you have.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Right now it's a knock down 56 sand wedge or a full 60 lob wedge if there is a breeze a my back. Subject to change depending on swing changes.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

My shot is not low at all, it's actually borderline too high.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Originally Posted by BrokenShaft

if i only need to hit the middle of the green..probably my 56 cleveland or 52 cleveland baby fade depending on how big the green is.

you would be surprised how many people can hit this shot but cannot hit a 40 yd pitch shot.

I have just started more serious practice this distance. For about 8 hours this last week, I am practicing three different strokes. Standard pitch with feet perpendicular to the target 90 percent weight on the front. A 45 degree orientation of the feet to the target (more or less facing it) and equal weight on the feet. Putting stroke. All with my 60 degree. I am hoping to practice it an hour a day or so from now on. I practice anywhere with 4 inch rough to cleanly trimmed approaches.

It's a really hard shot, and I need to get consistent distances (keeping my wrists from breaking, and getting a feel for the distances under different conditions).

I am finally start to breaking away from bump and run chips.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I've recently made the change to a knock down PW for this shot and I'm getting it closer than I was hitting a higher, full swing shot with my 56. Increased accuracy and the ball stops close to where it landed.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by whatwoodtigerdo

Smooth PW for me. How low do you guys hit your wedges to get SW there?

I can't hit a SW low, nor any other wedge.

For that matter, all my clubs are high even with the maximum lag I can generate.

I think I am flipping my longer clubs on a full swing. Working on that as well, hope to be able to hit my 5, 4 and 3 (other than for choked up punch shots out of trees) irons soon.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I've recently made the change to a knock down PW for this shot and I'm getting it closer than I was hitting a higher, full swing shot with my 56. Increased accuracy and the ball stops close to where it landed." Dave2512.

Nice. I hope to be able to do that someday.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!