IGNORED

My Swing (hopefulhacker)

hopefulhacker
Note: This thread is 3605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: Casually for 2 years now. 10-15 rounds in 2011, 20 rounds in 2012. Looking to join a club next year and start playing on a weekly basis.

My current handicap index or average score is: 90

My typical ball flight is: Was a fade, have had a few lessons and draw is coming into my game.

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Slice, still an issue but has improved over last 3-6months

Here's a video of my swing taken back in Oct.

I had my first lesson a week before this and have had another one since.

Apologies it's not a great quality video, I'll post a more up to date video tonight with different views.

Appreciate any feedback on it, very eager to get my handicap down low next year.

Those are not my balls that you can see a few yards ahead in the video btw :)

Videos:

What did the Pro tell you in your first lesson?

By the way, your swing looks good. You should definitely be breaking 90 regularly. How's your short game?

Driver - Titleist 913D2 10.5* 3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 3 15* Hybrid - Ping G20 20* Hybrid - Ping G20 23* Irons - Ping i20 5-PW KBS Tour Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM4 50* 54* 58* Putter - Tom Slighter Snubnose

Originally Posted by Jhwarren

What did the Pro tell you in your first lesson?

By the way, your swing looks good. You should definitely be breaking 90 regularly. How's your short game?

Thanks and sorry about the delay replying.

Also didn't get up to the range so the videos will have to wait a few days.

My short game is quite good but it's an area I haven't practiced at all this year.

Casual rounds and no short game facility at my range.

When I say it's good, I should really say, I'm happy with it considering the lack of attention I've paid it.

My plan for this winter is to work on my swing as much as possible and then as soon as the new season starts to top load my practice with short game hours.

I hope to see huge improvements next year once I join a club and get time on putting, chipping greens etc.

I've committed to 5 lessons with my Pro from Oct-Feb.

So we've agreed to work on a few things on each one.

Keep it simple and put lots of practice in between the lessons on those one or two areas.

Lesson 1; (A week before this video, start of Oct)

A. Weight Distribution: Need to work on my weight distribution throughout swing. Before the lesson I was keeping way too much weight on my left side. Nearly 60-70% on my left side on backswing... Pro was amazed that I was recovering to hit some decent shots considering how much weight I was putting on left side. But my bad shots were as a result of me coming out to in and slicing resulting from this.

B. Alignment. I had very poor alignment, shaping up way too far right off the target. I'm still working on this, I still tend to aim right without an aligment aid.

Lesson 2: (Start of Novemeber)

Just the one take out from this lesson.

Pro has got me to take 2 practice swings before each shot at the range from now onwards.

He has asked me to stop at the top of my swing for a split second and then proceed into downswing.

This is only for the practice swings, when hitting, he said just hit as normal.

I'm not sure the exact terminology for this but my he said my swing is too fluid / I'm losing control slighty in the transition of my back - down swing.

Nice. That's good that you've committed to some lessons, especially since it sounds like you and your pro sat down beforehand and established some goals. It sounds like what he has been telling you has been working, so i wouldn't want to give any advice that may not be what you are working towards. I will say that working on alignment is extremely important. Keep at it, you will get it. Also, short game is really the way to lower scores. Once you get to playing a little more next season, really spend some time practicing it.

I would love to see some videos once you can get to the range.

• Upvote 1

Driver - Titleist 913D2 10.5* 3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 3 15* Hybrid - Ping G20 20* Hybrid - Ping G20 23* Irons - Ping i20 5-PW KBS Tour Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM4 50* 54* 58* Putter - Tom Slighter Snubnose

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread and hoping that I will keep this one updated for next year (as well as getting more involved in this forum)

I've got my first real year of  golf under my belt at this stage after I joined a club last March (the arrival of my first kid meant that I didn't get to play as much as I wanted...but if I was playing every day, that still wouldn't be enough to feed my habit :) )

I was given an initial handicap of 17 by my club and I drifted out to 18 over the first 3-4 months.

I managed to get a few scores together towards the end of Sept and got back down to 17.

I suppose I should give a brief description of the difference between the HC system we have over here in Ireland as opposed to the one in the US.

How I would love to see your system adopted over here... Our one is frustrating to say the least.

Basically, our Handicaps can only be adjusted when we play in a tournament/weekly club competition. It doesn't allow for or factor any casual rounds etc.

Our system also doesn't factor the Slope of a course into it at all, over here, you get a cut if you beat the CSS (Competition Standard Scratch)

The CSS formula is a complicated one, it takes into account all the scores and spits out the course CSS.

The competitions in my club are always off the back sticks, so it's quite the challenge at 6,850 yards (throw in the Irish weather and it doesn't help :( )

Generally you have to finish in the top 10% in any comp in order to get a cut.

There's a small buffer zone that generally takes into account the top 10-25% of golfers, the remaining 75% get an increase in HC of 0.1.

To make it worse, we have 2 golfing seasons over here.

Mar-Sept is generally the "Counting Season", were your handicap can change.

Oct-Feb is the "Non Counting Season", were no changes take place as we are playing placing everywhere due to our rotten climate :)

Anyway, I've high hopes for next year and a big drop in HC.

I've been shooting in the high 80's regularly in the Winter Competitions, and on casual rounds were I play of the forward tees (6,400 yards), I am getting into the low-mid 80's.

Still stuck on 17 until next March though :(

Here are a few videos I took a year on from my first one. I'm sorry about the poor quality of them but would appreciate any pointers.

I am starting another series of lessons in Jan and I will get the Pro to take proper videos.

Ok, just so I amn't complaining all the time about the Irish system, we do benefit from some of the best links in the world and I am playing a place called Ballybunion on Dec 26th....it is regularly featured as one of the best links in the world.

A link with the hole flyovers : http://www.ballybuniongolfclub.ie/courses/the-old-course-hole-by-hole/

Cannot wait :)

Thanks for any tips, comments and suggestions.

I promise to keep in touch with this thread this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips, comments and suggestions lads...it'd be a lonely thread without Jhwarrens input :-D

I'm only messing, I'm a newbie, I need to post better videos and I left it dormant so my bad.

Just wanted to put up a quick update.

Ok, so I've had a change of plan with regards getting lessons from my Pro, basically my evenings (with a 13 month old and a pregnant wife expecting in May) are not as free as I expected. Coupled with the fact that my Pro has moved location, I have decided to go on a solo project from now until March (when hopefully our handicap season is back up and running)

Luckily I have a range beside work so I am getting half an hour in every second lunchtime.

To be quite honest, I have lurked on this site for some time now, and I've spotted the guys from 5SK's videos on here quite a bit.

I was quite hesitant to open up to an new video based instructional tutorial, as previously I had drawn teachings from 2 instructors (Shawn Clement and Mark Crossfield) that I rated highly, and I was of the opinion that 2 was enough and anymore would be an overload.... When I started out golfing, I watched every video under the sun and it was an information overload....so I've tried to minimise that since.... Up until now :-P

Curiosity got the better of me and I started to look some of the 5SK's instructional videos a few weeks back.

To date, I have just watched and worked on the instructions relating to Key #1 and #2.

I think I had a fairly solid foundation for Key #1, but #2 was a real light bulb moment.

Over the past few weeks I have been doing a lot of the suggested drills and I am beginningg to notice some real improvement.

I have been down the early improvement road before, so I am hesitant to say I've got it mastered just yet, but I'm certainly happy with where it looks to be going.

I was never a divot taker before, and I still don't know if I am now as it has all be work on range mats, but it certainly feels like I am getting there.

Re Key #2, I think I had ok weight transfer previously, I was getting it from left to right and then left again but looking back on it after my learnings over the last two weeks I "THINK" I can see some flaws... Hoping I'm right with these.

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of the terminology surrounding this, I'll try to explain it in how I "feel" the changes I've been working on;

1 Shoulder Angle/Plain:

Previously I was turning my shoulders and there was a little angle there, but now I feel like I am getting the left shoulder down more. Previously I was letting the shoulders just rotate, it now feels like I am making a commitment to get my left shoulder down more thus improving the plain.

2 Right Leg:

From the videos above, I was keeping quite a bit of flex in my right knee throughout, I am now feeling that I am straightening this up more (not locking it but a lot straighter) and as a result of this I am being to fell my right core working on the as I get to the top of my swing.

3 Right Elbow:

I think my right elbow was becoming a bit "loose" or detached previously, I am working on keeping the triangle my arms create consistent, as a result my right elbow isn't flaring out as much, as a side effect, the club has come in for being outside or on my right shoulder to going between my two shoulder more. (That prob makes no sense :8) .... I'm not losing the club behind me as much, it feels a lot more balanced and the swing has probably steepened...that might make more sense)

4 Weight Transfer:

Whereas before I felt like I was doing the right thing re weight transfer, I look back on it now and feel that I was just "swaying" from left to right and and left again. This now feels loaded a lot more (I was overloading at the start 2 weeks ago and that didn't produce good results, but I've dialled it back a bit now)

5 Right Knee:

This has been the real area that has felt the most alien to me, purely because I never had much movement downward and towards the target before... The lack of an old side view video isn't much of a help

6 Left Arm:

My left arm looks a bit "lazy" in my backswing, I am now feeling that I am getting it up higher and trying to get it as the same angle as my shoulder plain

7 Finishing Position:

I don't think my previous position was too bad, but I am working on getting that belt buckle pointing to the sky...and feeling it in my abs/core, it took a while to get used to but it's feeling good now

Boy.....I didn't realise I was working on that much until I wrote it all down :dance:

On a serious note, I think a lot of the above points go hand in hand with each other so it actually doesn't feel like too dramatic of a change at all. It still feels a little alien but I'm guessing that have to be a good thing and a sign of change in itself :bugout:

I am still way off hitting the ball consistently with this, but my last few range sessions have seen an improvement.

I was going to wait until I was really happy with my swing but I guess it's safer to get one posted (DTL and Side View) soon just in case I am successfully ruining my swing :)

I don't think I am, I certainly hope I'm on the right path.

My ball flight has changed dramatically (when I nail all above). I have went from a fairly high trajectory that was subject to a bit of leakage to the right to a much lower trajectory with a baby draw.... it's such a novelty for me to look up and see a draw flight.

So.... I'm glad curiosity got the better of me and I delved into the world of 5SK's (Surely if I'm being this nice they will comment in future :-D )

Strangely enough, I haven't even looked past Key #2 yet, I don't even know if they are meant to be done in sequence.

I think I need another 2 weeks before I can get to a stage where this is being to feel a bit more normal.

Will try to get videos up after my Wednesday range session folks.

Appreciate any comments... not that you will :-P

Thanks for all the tips, comments and suggestions lads...it'd be a lonely thread without Jhwarrens input

I'm only messing, I'm a newbie, I need to post better videos and I left it dormant so my bad.

Just wanted to put up a quick update.

. . .

I don't think I am, I certainly hope I'm on the right path.

My ball flight has changed dramatically (when I nail all above). I have went from a fairly high trajectory that was subject to a bit of leakage to the right to a much lower trajectory with a baby draw.... it's such a novelty for me to look up and see a draw flight.

So.... I'm glad curiosity got the better of me and I delved into the world of 5SK's (Surely if I'm being this nice they will comment in future )

Strangely enough, I haven't even looked past Key #2 yet, I don't even know if they are meant to be done in sequence.

I think I need another 2 weeks before I can get to a stage where this is being to feel a bit more normal.

Will try to get videos up after my Wednesday range session folks.

Appreciate any comments... not that you will

Nice swing, and I am also starting to hit a slight draw and enjoying it.

Sounds like you pretty much know what you're doing. Just posted this so your thread does not look so lonely. :-)

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like you pretty much know what you're doing. Just posted this so your thread does not look so lonely.

Ahhhh...thanks :-D

The major worry I have is that I think I know what I'm doing :-O

The reality might be different.

I just spotted that you're "working on Keys 1,2,3 Lihu... how is it going for you?

Should I have a look at Key 3.... I'm nearly afraid to take too much on

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Sounds like you pretty much know what you're doing. Just posted this so your thread does not look so lonely.

Ahhhh...thanks

The major worry I have is that I think I know what I'm doing

The reality might be different.

Yes, I know that is only too true. However, since you are hitting slight draws and not flipping, that is a good indication things are going well.

Seems like you should be better than a 17 handicap, but maybe that's just the UK system. @Shorty mentioned that he would equate a 17 handicap in the UK with something like a 10 handicap in the states.

Since it is beyond my capability to comment, I assume that it would take a pro in person or people on Evolvr to make any reasonable comments to improve your swing.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yes, I know that is only too true. However, since you are hitting slight draws and not flipping, that is a good indication things are going well.

Seems like you should be better than a 17 handicap, but maybe that's just the UK system. @Shorty mentioned that he would equate a 17 handicap in the UK with something like a 10 handicap in the states.

Since it is beyond my capability to comment, I assume that it would take a pro in person or people on Evolvr to make any reasonable comments to improve your swing.

Considering I have limited friends on this thread, I'm going to let the UK comment slide.

Ireland is not in the UK, we had a war 100 years ago to regain independence :-D

I've just been told off by @David in FL (not sure how to do that link thingy) in another thread for saying that there may be a 2-3 shot differential... So, no comment on that one :-P

Do I need to get a lesson with the Evolvr guys or how do that work? (Evolver = 5SK's?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Considering I have limited friends on this thread, I'm going to let the UK comment slide.

Ireland is not in the UK, we had a war 100 years ago to regain independence

I've just been told off by @David in FL (not sure how to do that link thingy) in another thread for saying that there may be a 2-3 shot differential... So, no comment on that one

Do I need to get a lesson with the Evolvr guys or how do that work? (Evolver = 5SK's?)

Oops, sorry. I should be much more aware of this fact as I am from Taiwan (not "officially" part of China). :-D

I am still planning on signing up, but I am taking lessons with MVMAC.

http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 range sessions and 1 round under my belt this week, I have to say I am liking where this is going.

I had a nice little draw today with the driver, which I've never really had before, having previously been a slicer that managed to convert to a somewhat controlled fader..

I've had a look at all Keys now and I really think Key 2 has been the one that has changed things for me.

Early days yet so I don't want to get ahead of myself, but so far so good.

Not a great quality video but I managed to improvise and use my bag as a camera mount. It'll have to do until next week. Still working mainly on Key #2. Think my right leg is decreasing in flex better than before. [video]http://youtu.be/7qnGT1D770s[/video]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys... ok it's just me, still talking to myself :-D ,

I have continued to work away on my swing. I have never been to the range so many times in a month as I was in Jan, Feb has "slacked" off a bit, I'm only going every second day :)

I've played a few rounds too, the weather hasn't been that kind over here so they have been limited.

I don't want to clog up the thread but here is the scorecard from last weekends round, a fantastic course, Carton House, and hosted the Irish Open, European Tour event last year.

We played off the whites as per the scorecard, but the tees themselves were a little forward due to the fairly wet weather and less roll etc. So I would guess we played the course at circa 6,600 yards.

I was delighted with the back 9 and in particular going level par over the last 6.

My putting is really letting me down, I think I am a good putter who is just lacking confidence (even though that sounds like a contradiction).

But more importantly, I have big concentration (or lack of concentration) issues.... I just don't give putting the time or attention it deserves on the course, which is scary because I know I have a problem but I still continue with the same old mistakes.

Ok, so back to my swing:

Apologies in advance, I cannot seem to convert these files into youtube or vimeo (help greatly appreciated)

I have been really doing a lot of work over the past 6 weeks and I have based it solely on 5SK's, I really like the method.

I haven't really got passed Key #3 yet.

A few weeks ago, I was at the range and I decided to ask the Pro there for a lesson.

It was really due to fear of not knowing if I was doing the "correct" practice, so I went ahead and got the lesson, more as a "safety check" than anything else.

Here are the links to the videos and the Pro's tips:

BEWARE: there are extremely hot women in these videos :-D (I lie, there isn't, but have a look anyway and if you know how to convert them, please advise, thanks)  The Pro does sound like Padraig Harrington which is worth a listen alone!

http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/N7nazWmM?e=107852

http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/TODrwwjZ?e=107851

I would be interested to hear what or think, or any of the other 5SK's think (and everyone else :-P )

I am really thinking about signing up for lessons with them but the main thing holding me back is getting a good camera at present so I can upload proper videos.

I feel like I'm cheating on both the Pro and 5SK at present :-*

The Pro talks about my weight being too loaded on the left knee, during the lesson (but missing from video) he highlighted that my left shoulder was too far forward at address. It was closer to the target that my left foot.

I think that came about for some "bad practice" I was doing on Key #3.

The drill is great, I think I was just cheating it a bit by leaning forward to ensure I cleared the ball placed behind the ball I was striking.

A golf swing when looking reasonably good is even harder to analyse.I would say the wrists are sloppy at the top and when the hands get to the right thigh on the downswing,the club shaft  has gone well past the recommended parallel to the ground position.I think you need to tighten the swing up...shorten it.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

Look how short Padrig's swing is:

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

Thanks Freedrop,

I think you are right there, it is something that I am aware of, I think I have tidied it up since over a year ago (first video in this thread).

It is an area that I have looked at before and have worked on, but I seem to fall back into it very easily.

It doesn't look too bad in the side view does it?

It was a very strange feeling when I was doing it, that PH swing would have felt like a half swing - 3/4 swing at max.

I'll keep it in mind to work at it again.

Note: This thread is 3605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!