IGNORED

My Swing (jefkve)

jefkve

Yeah sorry didn't see you on the range. Next time you practice, post a video or send it to me and I'll give you my take.

Will do. Thanks Mike!

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Well, shot this back in February and haven't had time to post it, but after a pretty disappointing round this morning, thought I'd get these up and see if anyone has any thoughts. IIRC, the first two swings are PW, two 7 or 8 irons, and two 4h.

Thanks in advance...

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Not from the video, but from watching this morning, one thing I notice (that may be nothing at all) is that you have a really narrow stance.  Granted, we're hitting mostly wedges, but even then it seemed a little narrow.

I think a little wider separation between the feet would lead to a little more stability and balance.

• Upvote 1

Got any face on video?

Unfortunately not at the moment. Will shoot some next time I get to the range.

Unfortunately not at the moment. Will shoot some next time I get to the range.

Shoulda mentioned it this morning!  I would have taped a few swings during the round.

Next time. :beer:

• 8 years later...

Posting a quick video in preparation for meeting my 2023 goals. Looking back over this thread, I see a lot of the same issues are still there: too flat a swing plane with the shoulders, too much hip turn. Good news is that it looks like my hands are in a better place, but still a lot of work to be done. Really just leaving this here as a before shot in the hopes that I'm able to improve the picture in '23. 

52 degree wedge from 105, hit it just long and left @ Monarch Dunes Challenge Course #9

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (jefkve)
  • Administrator

Wow, okay, so eight years later! Welcome back. 🙂

01.jpg02.jpg

You're gonna wanna do a lot to address the top two images… that elbow gets REALLY far around you, and you spend a LOT of energy just trying to get the ball back to the front.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...

Still working on getting the backswing sorted. Really need to work on the takeaway, but seems like the top is better....Thoughts guys? 

• Administrator

@jefkve, what are you trying to do?

Your elbow is still really far around, and your backswing looks almost the same as before.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg

Might I recommend another topic for you?

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

@jefkve, what are you trying to do?

Your elbow is still really far around, and your backswing looks almost the same as before.

@iacas I've been drilling on keeping my right elbow more in front of me. It's a very different 'feel', but agreed that the result is not very different. Need  to keep working on takeaway, backswing, and early extension. 

As far as grinding, I do spend what little free time I get working on swing feels, but again, results are lacking...

TBC...

• Administrator

So I'll be blunt, and I'll trust that you know I'm trying to help you here.

Let's say for this particular thing, your swing is a 1. That's just the starting point, so, it's a 1. Let's say "perfect" is a 5. Just for this piece that you're trying to work on, that is.

I see little to no point in making swings that are 1s, 2s, or even 3s. You need to make almost every swing you make (while working, not while playing) as 4s and 5s. If they were all 5s, you're going too slowly, but a mixture of 4s and 5s is the sweet spot.

That is what the grind is: having the discipline to make swings that produce 4s and 5s until you can go a little faster and still produce 4s.

So, post a swing some time of you doing a 4 or a 5. Let's see it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@jefkve Thanks for sharing your journey! I wish you the best of luck going forward.

Iacas said two of the most poignant things an instructor could say/ask:

• What are you trying to do?
  • I see little point in making practice swings that are 1s, 2s or 3s.

I am not an Instructor, but taught tennis for several years.  Did an instructor provide a drill for keeping your elbow in front of you? If not, and you have been working on things yourself, minor feel changes to you often have little to no effect on your swing at your handicap level. The reason why is we personally overestimate the difference in feel on our swings.

If you follow Mike Adams, he believes that your backswing should bisect your shoulder if your wingspan matches your height in golf shoes.  Your backswing is much more shallow, indicating very short arms, which you don’t appear to have. Your takeaway appears to be outside, and then you flatten the backswing.  This forces you to early extend in order to give you room to hit the ball. I suspect you still hit strong draws with shorter clubs, probably through the gap wedge, but push slice your driver because the club is too long and/or flat?

I would defer to an instructor, but one drill I would suggest is the pump drill to eliminate the backswing issues. Take the club to the top of your desired backswing, and we will target the shoulder since that is a neutral position versus your current through your upper arm.  Pump the arms downward once, return to the original position, and then swing away. DJ Tomasi helped popularize this drill and you could find a video.  

I wish you the best of luck!

• Informative 1

• Administrator
9 hours ago, iacas said:

Let's say for this particular thing, your swing is a 1. That's just the starting point, so, it's a 1. Let's say "perfect" is a 5. Just for this piece that you're trying to work on, that is.

"The best drill is doing it right."

• Informative 1