IGNORED

Overswing? Please help!

BenGolf19
Note: This thread is 4139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have struggled with an overswing forever. My problem is lifting the arms so telling me to "feel" half makes me only lift it halfway up, so I have no power. Whenever I try to turn though I just make this huge turn and it goes too long. I cant find a mix and their could me other issues. Take a look at the video.

I like big putts and I cannot lie.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

its all about TEMPO.   For me, a slow backswing puts me in a good regimented tempo & the transition and downswing falls into place.    Slow it down ... WAAAAAAAAY down and see if that helps.     Look at Ai Mayazato's swing on youtube - thats extreme, but think along those lines to improve your swing mechanics.     To me, there's just too much that can go wrong with such a fast tempo swing as yours ....

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

It is maybe a bit long, yeah, some lifting, but you have some really good pieces in there. I would like to see a DTL before making any assessment. Make your own swing thread here. If you are looking for a fast fix you can get this training aid. It will prevent you right arm from overbending. Lots of info on this site about this aid. http://www.swingextender.com/

Michael

Does it really look to rushed and fast?

I don't think so. Looks to me like you don't turn the shoulders enough and compensate by lifting your arms. Try this: stand up straight with your feet shoulder width apart. Cross your arms in front of you with your hands on your shoulders. Rotate your shoulders 90° to the right. Now bend down into your address posture. You should feel a stretch across your right side. That's how the turn should feel.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I understand that but when I do that the arms run off and it still gets long. I need to match up my shoulder turn with my arm turn as "one unit" to shorten my swing. Problem is I cant do it.

Originally Posted by inthehole

its all about TEMPO.   For me, a slow backswing puts me in a good regimented tempo & the transition and downswing falls into place.    Slow it down ... WAAAAAAAAY down and see if that helps. ...

If your takeaway is too fast, you may mess up your tempo and produce inconsistent starts to your downswing. Sorry, but I couldn't get your video to play.

About 10 years, I went into a golf shop on a rainy day. The shop manager let me test a new driver against my old driver.

One of the things I accidently found out: When I had a slower swing tempo of 1.8 seconds, I hit the ball about 10 yards farther - and straighter - than when I had a quicker tempo of 1.4 seconds. I had had more consistent load at top with slower take-away.

(I broke 90 a lot the next two summers. Hopefully those days will return...)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by BenGolf19

I understand that but when I do that the arms run off and it still gets long. I need to match up my shoulder turn with my arm turn as "one unit" to shorten my swing. Problem is I cant do it.

I can't get your video to load up anymore, weird.

I was told by a pro a while back to make 3/4 swings. She told me that what I thought were 3/4 swings were really full swings. I practiced a whole lot in front of the mirror. I was trying to avoid this suggestion with you because you made a comment about having no power when you swing less than full, which led me to the comments I made about the shoulder turn. You need to make a full shoulder turn with a less than full arm lifting movement. Does that make sense?

The other thing I try to do is turn my left shoulder under my chin as opposed to into it. I find it helps me from turning my shoulders too flat and lifting my arms up.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

A few tips that helped me

Rotate your hips more in the backswing, for one it allows your hands to get deeper, it straightens out the back leg and helps you stay centered, and it will shorten the swing because you reach full rotation earlier, giving you the sense you swung the club longer than you actually did.

With the same regard you can always hinge a bit earlier in the swing to, this gives you the feeling your completing the swing earlier

Think 3/4 swing is good advice, but i rather use a mirror or video and just see were your body is at, and were you need to feel to be parallel. Believe me, i had a pro stop me at a full rotation and club parallel to the ground, i felt like i haven't swung at all. This is partially why i suck at half wedge shots, i swing to far and end up having to change the swing speed in the downswing instead of being fluid.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I personally try to keep my right leg flexed throughout the whole swing. 90 percent of the guys on tour do it so why should I not. I've gotten the swing a lot shorter with a tip from Anthony Kim. I was confused about matching turn with hinge and getting the club on plane without lifting. Anthony said that he folds his right arm and hinges the club right off the ball and from there his only thought was to turn and stay wide. It was a great tip because you are not only getting the club up on plane you are still turning it. Combine that with my right leg compressing a bit more and my swing has shorten up a lot. Still an ongoing tendency for me though.

Just about everyone on tour LOSES flex in the right leg thru the back swing. They may not straighten it fully, but most of them certainly do NOT maintain the same amount of flex as they had at address in the right leg. Another thought. Try to keep your right arm straight. This will shorten the backswing.

Colin P.

Quote:
I personally try to keep my right leg flexed throughout the whole swing. 90 percent of the guys on tour do it so why should I not.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/34692/straightening-the-right-knee-on-the-backswing

Read through the great battle over back leg knee straightening :p

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I understand that it will not fully stay flexed but I more or less try to restrict my hips in the backswing and keeping the right leg flexed and not letting it get locked is my feeling. It's just how I was taught. Since the leg will stay flexed on the downswing why purposely straighten it in the backswing.

Originally Posted by BenGolf19

I more or less try to restrict my hips in the backswing and keeping the right leg flexed and not letting it get locked is my feeling. It's just how I was taught.

did you bother asking why you should do that?  your instructor should tell you why he wants you to do one thing and not another.

Colin P.

Bubba is also 6'3 with a ridiculous arc. Corey is only 5'9 so that is irrelevant and yes I know why I restrict my hips in the backswing because it is part of coiling and power. If you watch the video it's not like my hips dont turn a degree or my leg stays perfectly flexed. That is my feeling. I dont want the "feeling of my hips turning in the backswing. It's power. Dustin johnson has a shoulder turn of 119 degrees with a 45 degree hip turn. That is power. And like I said it is all "feelings"

Note: This thread is 4139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!