IGNORED

Grip pressure?

Blitz28179
Note: This thread is 4121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the next 2-3 weeks I am gonna focus on good golf grip pressure.Not just the way I hold the club but the pressure I apply to the club when coming down to impact.Ive had a few playing partners say I grip the club to tight.

I wonder if that is the reason why tour players and lower handicaps all use the interlock/overlap grips?Less fingers on club = means less pressure you put on the club, right?

Is it also why the majority of golfers use a golf glove?seems this would help you grip the club a little less.Since I started playing a year and half ago ive never used a golf glove.I think I might reconsider if i knew it would help me grip the club a little lighter.

Would love to hear some feedback as I am still a 19 handicap.

• Administrator

Professional golfers grip the club far more firmly than most people can imagine.

They also have strong hands. 3/10 to them is like 9/10 to most average golfers.

The trick is simply to have a firm grip but not to let that muscle tension go above your wrists (or even, really, to your wrists). Strong grip, soft forearms and wrists.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also make sure you clean your grips and if change your grips at least once a year. I change them twice a year, once before the golfing season, and once halfway through. For me this gives me the most consistent feel with the golf club.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by iacas

Professional golfers grip the club far more firmly than most people can imagine.

They also have strong hands. 3/10 to them is like 9/10 to most average golfers.

The trick is simply to have a firm grip but not to let that muscle tension go above your wrists (or even, really, to your wrists). Strong grip, soft forearms and wrists.

Yes, I was introduced to this "firm" concept by Pat O'Brien (Zach Johnson's Putting Instructor), who dared me to grab the putter head and pull a putter from his fingers. "Do it!"

I could not.

And he was holding that putter without his thumbs on the grip

Yet his hands, wrists, and elbows, etc., were relaxed.

I think it's similar with your muscle intensity on a full swing.

And as Clement says, it depends on the shot, and he has something there... nice vid, thanks to dozu.

I've been experimenting with slightly more finger pressure in the last 3 fingers of my left hand, right lifeline over left thumb pressure, and right index finger.

Good discussion. Thank you.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

My understanding is that the last three fingers of the left hand must apply a firm pressure (firmer than the rest of the fingers) to prevent the left hand from "letting go" at the top of the back swing and to prevent the club from turning at impact.

I even read that Arnold Palmer when driving his car would frequently tighten these three fingers over the steering wheel as hard as possible for ten seconds, and then repeat, in order to strengthen these fingers. (I have tried it and it's a good exercise.)

I will try it out this weekend at the golf course.

Too much pressure causes tension in the arms. You want to be fluid with good tempo, for me gripping the club too hard inhibits that. I was once told you grip the club with as much pressure as you would apply if you were holding a baby bird. Now, that may be an exaggeration but you get the point. I'm not sure a glove has anythiing to do with it. I sometimes play with and sometimes without a glove, the grip pressure is always the same. I'm interested in the opinion of others though, good thread.

Grip pressure is an area that can not be easily understood.  As often as is tried, no words can convey what you feel.  They can try to describe what you should feel, but what you yourself feel is on a very objective level no words can convey.

Coincidently, Golfnow.com today is promoting a gadget called "grip-solid" that is supposed to help with this subject.  It is inexpensive enough so that I ordered one.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by cooke119

Too much pressure causes tension in the arms.

It doesn't have to.

That's the trick to it all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have practiced this during warm ups.  Try gripping very hard with the top three fingers of the left hand and two middle fingers of the right hand as you gently swing the club back and forth.  Concentrate of keeping everything else relaxed.  Slowing increase your swing speed.  You will find you can separate the tension of the fingers from the rest of the hand and wrists.

Your friends may be seeing tension in your arms and wrists and assuming that the grip is the issue.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Well, today I played a round of golf and I made an effort to have a firm grip on the last three fingers of the left hand every time I hit the ball. Findings:

1- My wrists did not become stiff.

2- I noticed considerably more accuracy on my shots, (driver and irons), and a little more distance.

Note: This thread is 4121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!