IGNORED

Schwartzel...

colin007
Note: This thread is 4117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by colin007

So Chucky Schwartzel wins his last 2 tournaments by 11 and 12 strokes...are you kidding me?

Against whom?

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Against whom?

i dont think it matters does it, he still won. yeah obviously the better the field then theres more great players able to win but he won against people that are professionals.

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

• Administrator
Originally Posted by garush34

i dont think it matters does it, he still won. yeah obviously the better the field then theres more great players able to win but he won against people that are professionals.

I think both the quantity and quality of his competition matters.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

This is true, yes, but he has been playing really, REALLY well lately.  Prior to the last 2 wins, he has a 3rd and 5th place finish, and in the last 16 or so rounds, it looks like he's averaging something like 67!

He did what he was expected to do this past weekend against inferior competition (other than Oosthuizen who withdrew), and it really didn't move the needle much for me.  The fact he won the past two weeks and only moved from 29th to 14th in the World Rankings tells the story, but congrats to Schwartzel nonetheless.  A win is a win, and I'm sure it was satisfying to him all the same.  I'm interested to see how he does in the big events in 2013.

Originally Posted by JBradshaw

Bubba, Sergio, Westwood, Colsaerts, Oosthuizen, Mahan, Grace, Rock, Ishikawa etc etc etc

An impressive win in Thailand. The Dunhill tournament, impressive margin of victory, terrible field.

Originally Posted by MSchott

An impressive win in Thailand. The Dunhill tournament, impressive margin of victory, terrible field.

I'd be curious to see how you and I would get on against this supposedly "terrible field"

Dozens upon dozens of recognisable names in that field for me. Stronger field than 3 of the Fall series events if you look at the stats.

He's a pro, he entered a tournament and did what he set out to do. And that was winning. By ur logic any tournament that is won means nothing unless all the greats play. It means just as much to the guy who just kept his tour card for the next two years or the guy who's won 50 times. I'm sure if you asked tiger if he'd take that win to pass sam snead in all time wins I'm sure he'd take it. So I don't really think it matters a wins a win.

WITB

Adams 18 DHY

Nike VR 56*

My Swing

• Administrator

He's a pro, he entered a tournament and did what he set out to do. And that was winning. By ur logic any tournament that is won means nothing unless all the greats play. It means just as much to the guy who just kept his tour card for the next two years or the guy who's won 50 times. I'm sure if you asked tiger if he'd take that win to pass sam snead in all time wins I'm sure he'd take it.

So I don't really think it matters a wins a win.

I think you're in the minority on that one.

You can find threads everywhere downplaying, for example, Tiger's wins or Lee Westwood's wins in things like the World Challenge or that Sun City event (small fields) or the wins of players in lower-tier events or Fall Series events or alternate-field events.

In fact, Augusta National places importance on these types of things in choosing who they will send an invitation to for The Masters.

He's a pro, he entered a tournament and did what he set out to do. And that was winning. By ur logic any tournament that is won means nothing unless all the greats play. It means just as much to the guy who just kept his tour card for the next two years or the guy who's won 50 times. I'm sure if you asked tiger if he'd take that win to pass sam snead in all time wins I'm sure he'd take it.

So I don't really think it matters a wins a win.

If a win is a win, than his win this week or last means just as much as his victory at Augusta? I don't think so. There is something to be said for what tournament it is and who is playing. That is why a major means more than a regular tour event and why a regular tour event means more than something in the "silly season." It's great that he won and all but keep it in perspective.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

My .02...

I agree that these wins aren't as meaningful or important as regular PGA tour wins. The fields are not as strong. Though I would also say that they aren't 'terrible', either.

And shooting 67's on a regular basis will have you winning or contending in strong fields as well.

However, Charl has shown that he can win 'regular' events, (and a major, to boot).

I think this recent run of performance is obviously most important to Charl himself, and to his confidence, specifically. I see him contending often early on in this season due in part to this momentum and confidence he has built. Be damned what we think of it.

The true tests will indeed be seen when the top pros all go compete 'for real'. But I won't be surprised to see him contending a lot early.

Also, speaking of South African golfers...  Watch out for Louis Oosthuizen next year!  He's one of my favorite players to watch, and he may have a true breakout year next year.

He has quite quietly climbed to #4 in the OWGR and I think his game is deserving of top-5 status, and wouldn't be surprised to see him prove it this year. He probably won't have a Rory or Tiger year, but I wouldn't be completely shocked to see him have a multi-win season, and at least contend for another Major himself. When he's on, he's scary good.

I'm just glad he's healthy again and playing good golf. Can we at least agree that 3-2-1-1 and 73 under in his last four tournaments constitutes good golf?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I'm just glad he's healthy again and playing good golf. Can we at least agree that 3-2-1-1 and 73 under in his last four tournaments constitutes good golf? ;-)

I'll agree with that.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by JBradshaw

I'd be curious to see how you and I would get on against this supposedly "terrible field"

Dozens upon dozens of recognisable names in that field for me. Stronger field than 3 of the Fall series events if you look at the stats.

I don't see what this has to do with this thread. Terrible in relation to the PGA Tour talent he normally competes with. They were all second class players on even the European Tour. I thought I saw a familiar name in Peter Lawrie then I remembered the famous Lawrie is Paul

I think people are trying to take away the value of the win to him tho. Yeah a major is worth more over all but thats beacuse only select people can get into them. Its not his fault that it is a weaker field. Should he just not enter for that reason, no. he's entitled to enter whatever tournament he wants regardless of the field.

WITB

Adams 18 DHY

Nike VR 56*

My Swing

4 top 50 players in the last tournament. Still, a weak event, he has a very good record of bashing up poor fields at home in SA. He needs more wins outside SA to consolidate the Masters - I think he and Oosthuizen have some big years coming.

The "i'd like to see you do better" argument is something that really gets my goat. I haven't and will never get to run a country does this mean I'm disqualified from complaining about my taxes?

Note: This thread is 4117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!