IGNORED

Where's Anthony Kim? What ever happened to Anthony Kim?

uscfan
Note: This thread is 1330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is it that makes people think that there would be an insurance policy where he he could basically decide he doesn't want to play and get millions?

The policy would be about a career ending injury, not a loss of form or desire.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

He could make his money back with the PGA Pension alone if he puts in the years.  If he's able to play, he should go play.  I have no sympathy for insurance companies though.

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

Have to say I find the story of this 'friend' very hard to believe. Seems more like some kind of gossip story. I can't believe a high profile player will walk away voluntarely from the game for $ 10 million, an amount that this kind of player will easiliy gain with sponsonship and prize money combined in his career. Unless he really, really hates the world of professional sport...

I have to agree, this whole " story" is unlikely and full of hearsay. On another hand, someone with an injury such as his, if he is not in 110% golf rehab mode.......he won't ever be back, I don't care how gifted he is or was, there too much parity and talent for someone to drop out and come back to that level.

What is it that makes people think that there would be an insurance policy where he he could basically decide he doesn't want to play and get millions?

Certainly not desire, but form is the key. Football players get insurance all of the time, especially top college players. After they recover, they CAN play football, but they're nowhere near as quick,explosive, etc. Like someone wrote previously, he CAN play golf, but I can't see how a doctor or anyone can prove that he can perform as he once did. Only proof would be if he teed it up and played well.

For a site that consistently emphasizes the huge gap separating tour players from even the best amateurs, you guys certainly seem to think that golf is not like a typical sport in this case. Jason Day had a thumb injury and was shelved for weeks, played poorly, and had to change his swing. Seems like these small injuries can have a huge effect.

As for insurance fraud, I'm positive AK has had a lawyer review the policy and has discussed it with the insurance company. I'm not aware of anyone here actually reading the policy. While I'd probably be pissed if I wrote that policy, I'm sure the insurance company knows what it is doing. In the US, for better or worse, we execute to the letter of the law and not intent.

There could be an insurance policy, protecting a company like Nike for its investment, asset and property. When a player signs a contract for sponsorship that's essentially what they become is property, a vehicle to promote sales , marketing and or manufacturing. The manufacturer looks at this as a cost of doing business. If that property fails to deliver, be it injury, car crash, personal problem or simply violates the terms and conditions of the contract....there is an insurance policy to cover what could be otherwise be a devastating loss to the brand, or even a specific product. I don't know if you remember Len Bias, drafted by the celtics, as a nex gen to the Larry bird and Jordan era but I think it was reebok that had invested millions in advertising, manufacturing and 100s if not millions of product pieces were ready to be delivered. Everything was set to launch. He was dead before the ink dried on the contract, cocaine. Reebok lost millions. Now there is insurance riders on every contract signed to the manufacture by athletes. I m not convinced the player is listed as a benefactor though. Worse as a result of the death, celtics fell in to mediocrity for the next decade+. That's another story

That's not a simple yes/no type fact though.  What is a career ending injury?  One that makes him unable to walk?  Unable to hold a club?  Unable to swing a club?  Unable to hit a ball straight?  Unable to practice well enough to keep his tour card?  I don't know what the answer is, but its probably closer to the last one than the first one.  Lack of desire can mask lack of ability in the margins.

And there are all sorts of disability policies.  For example, I have a client who gets disability insurance.  He still works the same job, but he is not able to work as many hours, or do some of the same things, etc., so he can keep working, but makes about half of what he used to.  The insurance policy pays him the difference between what he used to make, and what he makes now.  I imagine that if he really didn't want to work, he could probably stop and collect more benefits.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting bit about his opinion of tour officials

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/9/17/mia-files-anthony-kim-wrestles-with-playingor-cashing-out.html

From his SI story previewing the Ryder Cup , where Kim was such a huge American figure in 2008.

In some circles, Kim has become golf's Voldemort -- a name that dare not be spoken. According to Knost, Kim played a casual round this spring with journeyman Casey Wittenberg. Approached at a Web.com event in July, Wittenberg recoiled at the mere mention of Kim's name. "I'm not going to comment," Wittenberg said. "He's a great friend of mine. Sorry, I know you're just doing your job."

Don't feel for him too much there Casey...

Regarding Kim's apparent dilemma...

The answer very well may lie in an insurance policy Kim has against a career-ending injury. An IMG source pegged its value at $10 million, tax-free. Kim's friend, who has had financial discussions with him, says, "It's significantly north of that. Not quite 20, but close. That is weighing on him, very much so. He's trying to weigh the risk of coming back. The way he's phrased it to me is, 'If I take one swing on Tour, the policy is voided.'"

He does still play golf...

Over the summer Kim hit balls a handful of times at TPC Craig Ranch. (No one there has seen him on the course itself, and Kim's friend in Dallas says, "I couldn't tell you the last time he played a full round of golf.") He recently got his hair cut for the first time in eight months, but it still falls a couple of inches below his shoulders, which may explain why after a visit to Craig Ranch in July one staffer described him as looking like "a hobo." He arrived with five friends, including a young woman who was not dressed for golf. "She wasn't wearing much of anything," says the TPC employee.

He's taking a stand against the PGA Tour! The same guy who got a sponsor's invite to play the Bob Hope in his hometown of La Quinta, but then passed on the event when he became successful. That tour!

"He doesn't like where the Tour is heading," says his friend in Dallas. "He feels like it's become even more corporate, that the fans and the Tour itself do not support his style. He has no love for the Tour officials. He was tired of them hassling him for every little thing and fining him for stupid stuff."

And this about sums it all up...

In April, Kim put his Xanadu in Dallas on the market for $2.2 million and has been staying with a girlfriend while he assesses his next move. He tools around town in a Rolls-Royce Ghost. It had been flossed out with custom rims, but recently he reinstalled the stock wheels. "He wants to be more incognito," his friend says, without irony.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Interesting bit about his opinion of tour officials [URL=http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/9/17/mia-files-anthony-kim-wrestles-with-playingor-cashing-out.html]http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/9/17/mia-files-anthony-kim-wrestles-with-playingor-cashing-out.html[/URL]

From his SI story previewing the Ryder Cup , where Kim was such a huge American figure in 2008.

In some circles, Kim has become golf's Voldemort -- a name that dare not be spoken. According to Knost, Kim played a casual round this spring with journeyman Casey Wittenberg. Approached at a Web.com event in July, Wittenberg recoiled at the mere mention of Kim's name. "I'm not going to comment," Wittenberg said. "He's a great friend of mine. Sorry, I know you're just doing your job."

Don't feel for him too much there Casey...

Regarding Kim's apparent dilemma...

The answer very well may lie in an insurance policy Kim has against a career-ending injury. An IMG source pegged its value at $10 million, tax-free. Kim's friend, who has had financial discussions with him, says, "It's significantly north of that. Not quite 20, but close. That is weighing on him, very much so. He's trying to weigh the risk of coming back. The way he's phrased it to me is, 'If I take one swing on Tour, the policy is voided.'"

He does still play golf...

Over the summer Kim hit balls a handful of times at TPC Craig Ranch. (No one there has seen him on the course itself, and Kim's friend in Dallas says, "I couldn't tell you the last time he played a full round of golf.") He recently got his hair cut for the first time in eight months, but it still falls a couple of inches below his shoulders, which may explain why after a visit to Craig Ranch in July one staffer described him as looking like "a hobo." He arrived with five friends, including a young woman who was not dressed for golf. "She wasn't wearing much of anything," says the TPC employee.

He's taking a stand against the PGA Tour! The same guy who got a sponsor's invite to play the Bob Hope in his hometown of La Quinta, but then passed on the event when he became successful. That tour!

"He doesn't like where the Tour is heading," says his friend in Dallas. "He feels like it's become even more corporate, that the fans and the Tour itself do not support his style. He has no love for the Tour officials. He was tired of them hassling him for every little thing and fining him for stupid stuff."

And this about sums it all up...

In April, Kim put his Xanadu in Dallas on the market for $2.2 million and has been staying with a girlfriend while he assesses his next move. He tools around town in a Rolls-Royce Ghost. It had been flossed out with custom rims, but recently he reinstalled the stock wheels. "He wants to be more incognito," his friend says, without irony.

AK is a real **** the police type of guy. What a rebel.

Riley

To be fair, a Ghost's stock rims probably still cost more than my entire car. He's not going to be that incognito. :-D

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

To be fair, a Ghost's stock rims probably still cost more than my entire car. He's not going to be that incognito.

True, if he wanted to be incognito he'd have bought a Prius.

Joe Paradiso

• 3 weeks later...
http://ncpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/ncpga14/event/ncpga1429/contest/1/leaderboard.htm Look who missed out on Monday qualifying for the Fry's.com by one stroke. Is it him?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Nope, different Anthony Kim. :-D He has starts from an exemption, why would he be monday qualifying?

maybe doesn't want to use them

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

whoever it is started out birdie, birdie, birdie...ace.  pretty decent stretch

WOW...and understatement of the year :-P

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Note: This thread is 1330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!