IGNORED

Most Annoying People On The...........Practice Green?

Tom Shanks
Note: This thread is 4120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

To be honest, this guy doesn't bother me much if he's a good player who is just focused and keeping to himself.  However, a version of this guy with the huge staff bag and latest..say... brand new Taylormade equipment that is also decked out in the matching clothing who then proceeds to destroy the grass with fat shots and shanks a couple......that guy bothers me.

yea, the guy i'm speaking of... his game was definitely good... which didn't bother me at all. but like i tried to explain to others, it was the whole scene (apart from his game) that i found amusing... almost as if he was deliberately trying to reenact something he'd watched on tv.

on a bothersome scale of 1-10, it was about a 3 for me... but amusing enough to mention it here in this thread.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by divot dave

yea, the guy i'm speaking of... his game was definitely good... which didn't bother me at all. but like i tried to explain to others, it was the whole scene (apart from his game) that i found amusing... almost as if he was deliberately trying to reenact something he'd watched on tv.

on a bothersome scale of 1-10, it was about a 3 for me... but amusing enough to mention it here in this thread.

And I think you only got crap for it because of your wording. I'm picturing that guy in my head right now ... who wouldn't find that amusing.

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

To be honest, this guy doesn't bother me much if he's a good player who is just focused and keeping to himself.  However, a version of this guy with the huge staff bag and latest..say... brand new Taylormade equipment that is also decked out in the matching clothing who then proceeds to destroy the grass with fat shots and shanks a couple......that guy bothers me.

So only golfers who meet a certain standard of play that you set should be allowed to have nice clubs/bags/clothes???

Sounds like jealousy to me.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I like to stand close the hole a guy is practicing 30 footers with and when it looks like it is just about to go in, I smack it back at him and say "it's good". Then go back to what I was doing like he is not there....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I like to stand close the hole a guy is practicing 30 footers with and when it looks like it is just about to go in, I smack it back at him and say "it's good". Then go back to what I was doing like he is not there....

That would be hilarious.

Originally Posted by turtleback

So only golfers who meet a certain standard of play that you set should be allowed to have nice clubs/bags/clothes???

Definitely not jealous.

The part I missed to add was the attitude that usually comes along with which is the biggest issue really....

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

And I think you only got crap for it because of your wording.   I'm picturing that guy in my head right now ... who wouldn't find that amusing.

all due respect, i think i only got crap for it because of your misreading. unless of course you're referring to my choice of word: "douchey"... in which case i would argue i got crap for it due to a differing opinion of the harshness of that word. To me, "douchey" is equivalent to silly or goofy in a poser kind of way... with just a tad bit more of insulting bite to it... either way, cheers its under the bridge.

Originally Posted by turtleback

give it a rest already

IN MY BAG

all due respect, i think i only got crap for it because of your misreading. unless of course you're referring to my choice of word: "douchey"... in which case i would argue i got crap for it due to a differing opinion of the harshness of that word. To me, "douchey" is equivalent to silly or goofy in a poser kind of way... with just a tad bit more of insulting bite to it... either way, cheers :beer:  its under the bridge. give it a rest already:doh:

Yup, the second one. :). Differing opinions of the severity of the word "douche." That's all. PS ... When posting in mobile, it shows all formatting, and its kinda funny that smiley you used at the very end is called "doh" :) Cheers!

all due respect, i think i only got crap for it because of your misreading. unless of course you're referring to my choice of word: "douchey"... in which case i would argue i got crap for it due to a differing opinion of the harshness of that word. To me, "douchey" is equivalent to silly or goofy in a poser kind of way... with just a tad bit more of insulting bite to it... either way, cheers  its under the bridge.

give it a rest already

Sorry, but I just do not understand why something that doesn't affect someone else would be bothersome or douchey.  If someone 'is playing slow in front of you, fine.  If someone is hitting into you, fine.  But disapproving of their clothing or club choices to the point of calling names or it bothering you?  Just weird.

Rich - in name only

Quote:

all due respect, i think i only got crap for it because of your misreading. unless of course you're referring to my choice of word: "douchey"... in which case i would argue i got crap for it due to a differing opinion of the harshness of that word. To me, "douchey" is equivalent to silly or goofy in a poser kind of way... with just a tad bit more of insulting bite to it... either way, cheers  its under the bridge.

give it a rest already

Sorry, but I just do not understand why something that doesn't affect someone else would be bothersome or douchey.  If someone 'is playing slow in front of you, fine.  If someone is hitting into you, fine.  But disapproving of their clothing or club choices to the point of calling names or it bothering you?  Just weird.

I believe he is saying that he thinks it is overkill to dress up and take the range so seriously. This thread is about opinions understand there are different ones. Some tracks do not have driving ranges and before you play you have to use a facility. That may be the case for your buddy all dolled up in Ricky wear but there is also a component of looking the part of being successful to achieve success. If this is his idea of a successful golfer and if he is not yet, he is just faking it till he makes it.

Too me it sounds like a sand trap kind of guy...lol. Go talk to him and if he isn't "douchey" like Erik (J/k!!) tell him about the website...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I believe he is saying that he thinks it is overkill to dress up and take the range so seriously. This thread is about opinions understand there are different ones. Some tracks do not have driving ranges and before you play you have to use a facility. That may be the case for your buddy all dolled up in Ricky wear ...

that's a good point, hadn't thought of that.

IN MY BAG

vesQuote:

I believe he is saying that he thinks it is overkill to dress up and take the range so seriously. This thread is about opinions understand there are different ones. Some tracks do not have driving ranges and before you play you have to use a facility. That may be the case for your buddy all dolled up in Ricky wear but there is also a component of looking the part of being successful to achieve success. If this is his idea of a successful golfer and if he is not yet, he is just faking it till he makes it.

Too me it sounds like a sand trap kind of guy...lol. Go talk to him and if he isn't "douchey" like Erik (J/k!!) tell him about the website...

I understand and I don't really disagree.  It well MIGHT be overkill.  My point is why would something bother someone when it doesn't affect them.  Why would you call someone a name when they aren't doing anything that affects you?  I just do not get that at all.  It is like people who get all bent out of shape when playing a casual round with someone they were just paired with because they do not play by the letter of the rules.  It doesn't affect me so I don't care if they tee it up in the fairway, take drops for OBs, concede themselves 5 foot putts, move loose impediments and ground their club in a bunker, etc.  I don't really even care if afterwards they claim to have shot 85 even though I know that by the rules they were well over 100.  I might chuckle a bit inside, but that is it.  What WILL irritate me is if they knock my approach putt back to me saying "that's good" because I putt everything out.  But that is because they have done something that affects me.

I just wonder at the motivation of those who get upset or call names because other people do things that does not affect them.  And in my experience it is usually envy, insecurity, or they are just a jerk.

Rich - in name only

I understand and I don't really disagree.  It well MIGHT be overkill.  My point is why would something bother someone when it doesn't affect them.  Why would you call someone a name when they aren't doing anything that affects you?  I just do not get that at all.  It is like people who get all bent out of shape when playing a casual round with someone they were just paired with because they do not play by the letter of the rules.  It doesn't affect me so I don't care if they tee it up in the fairway, take drops for OBs, concede themselves 5 foot putts, move loose impediments and ground their club in a bunker, etc.  I don't really even care if afterwards they claim to have shot 85 even though I know that by the rules they were well over 100.  I might chuckle a bit inside, but that is it.  What WILL irritate me is if they knock my approach putt back to me saying "that's good" because I putt everything out.  But that is because they have done something that affects me.

I just wonder at the motivation of those who get upset or call names because other people do things that does not affect them.  And in my experience it is usually envy, insecurity, or they are just a jerk.

He clarified his definition of douchey as being "silly or goofy."  So all he's doing is telling us on here that he finds those (of us ;)) who dress nice at junky driving ranges to be a little silly or goofy.  It's not like he walked up to the guy and TOLD him he was douchey.

You and I agree that it's silly (douchey by Dave's definition ) to have an opinion on somebody else who's not affecting you, but to be fair, we do it too.  After your round with the 100 shooter who claims to have shot 85, you chuckle inside to yourself, and think "he's silly."  Dave would chuckle inside to himself "what a douche" but you are both thinking the same thing, really.  No big whoop.

Like he said a bit back, water under the bridge.  Let's move on.

Back on topic ... the thing that bothers me the most (today) at the practice facility:

When there is a sign up at the gate saying the range is closed!

Jackasses!  (Probably weather related, but still, booooooooooooo!)

Quote:

He clarified his definition of douchey as being "silly or goofy."  So all he's doing is telling us on here that he finds those (of us ;)) who dress nice at junky driving ranges to be a little silly or goofy.  It's not like he walked up to the guy and TOLD him he was douchey.

You and I agree that it's silly (douchey by Dave's definition ) to have an opinion on somebody else who's not affecting you, but to be fair, we do it too.  After your round with the 100 shooter who claims to have shot 85, you chuckle inside to yourself, and think "he's silly."  Dave would chuckle inside to himself "what a douche" but you are both thinking the same thing, really.  No big whoop.

Like he said a bit back, water under the bridge.  Let's move on.

Back on topic ... the thing that bothers me the most (today) at the practice facility:

When there is a sign up at the gate saying the range is closed!

Jackasses!  (Probably weather related, but still, booooooooooooo!)

The range at my home course closes for a couple of reasons.  One is in the early and late season, if the weather is too cold they will close the grass tees and require that players hit from the mats.  The other one is in the winter, if there is too much snow to pick balls, then they close when  all of the balls have been used, and stays closed until the snow melts back enough to pick balls.  I have seen the head pro out there picking by hand when they can't use the tractor so that they can open the range.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The range at my home course closes for a couple of reasons.  One is in the early and late season, if the weather is too cold they will close the grass tees and require that players hit from the mats.  The other one is in the winter, if there is too much snow to pick balls, then they close when  all of the balls have been used, and stays closed until the snow melts back enough to pick balls.  I have seen the head pro out there picking by hand when they can't use the tractor so that they can open the range.

No snow here, and its always mats at this range unfortunately.  I'm guessing that it was either a) a little too soggy everywhere, or b) there was a chance of rain this morning so they anticipated soggy, or just as likely c) the attendant called in sick or something. :)

i'm usually not annoyed by anything except really loud people, but there are a lot of people who don't use the right part of the range. we have the normal grass in front, which is good quality grass for a range. but behind those they have the tournament range grass, the real expensive stuff they reseed the next day. people that use that irritate me because i know better.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

He clarified his definition of douchey as being "silly or goofy."

Awfully convenient for him, but he doesn't get to make up his own definitions of words retroactively.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Douchey

And the thread was about what bothers us, not what we think is silly.

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 4120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!