IGNORED

Most Annoying People On The...........Practice Green?

Tom Shanks
Note: This thread is 4094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There's been many threads(on this site and others) about the most annoying people on the course, but what about on the practice facilities? I seem to be most annoyed on the practice greens. How about the guy who brings a large bucket of range balls and seems to be only working on getting it within 30 feet of the pin? Or the guy that's using 20 balls to work on 4 footers and after the third putt, builds a wall in front of the cup and proceeds to just ricochet balls off one another?

People who chew tobacco. Use your imagination.

In Oklahoma, a local TV sports announcer was bad about this.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Before I joined my club, I used to spend several hours a week at my university's practice facility. By far the most annoying person ever was the guy who kept his ringer on and took a half-dozen calls during my large bucket one night. It wasn't just the ringer; when he took the calls, he'd only step back four or five feet and then yell into the phone for a minute or so, hang up, and jump back in.

Second worst were the drunken frat boys who would come out with a case of beer and a radio, sharing one bag of clubs between four guys. I ran into them a few times. That was about when I started practicing with my iPod on.

A distant third was one poor newbie who kept chunking balls so badly he was spraying dirt on the backs of my legs. I can't really be mad at that; he wasn't trying to do it. Just was annoying.

I'm not going left or right of those trees, ok? I'm going over those trees...with a little draw.

I can't stand the guys who get really pissed off on the range. Slam their clubs down. Cus. Talk to themselves. I'll give a little on the course if you hit a bad shot and slam a club down (within reason) but on the range? If its that bad just go home or go sit down a while.

Another one I love is the guy practicing long range lags on a crowded putting green. I understand you want to work on this but C'MON Man!

Finally, at my club we have mats at the back and they use them a couple times a week to give the turf a break. Some guys want to hit driver and can't put a tee in the mat so they step out in front. Its one thing if there is no one there or you go down to the end, but when you are right in front of me I can't focus because I am afraid I am going to shank one up your @ss.

That's usually my last stop before hitting the 1st tee and I'm doing my best to not notice what others are doing. The driving range is a different thing because people aren't as quiet. Still it takes a lot to annoy me. The only thing that gets old is the guy that comments to his buddy after every shot about how far he's hitting it. That guy is usually overswing guy and I hope that I'm not near him on the course as he chases his ball around.

Dave :-)

At the facility I used to go to - there is one big practice green and it can be used for chipping and putting.  It's usually pretty crowded but there is always one guy there who is apparently vision impared because he can't see the rest of us.  He sets up near the fringe and practices long chips - basically flying them knee to waist high past other people practicing putting.  As long as he doesn't miss, he's not going to hit anybody . . but it's really distracting having to keep a constant eye on him while you're putting and/or having the occassional ball roll into your feet.

I don't really go there anymore - there always seems to be a dozen or more people on the practice green at once.  I found range nearby that far fewer people seem to know about so now I go there.  Shhhh.

I have to agree, a little respect for others on the practice greens would be nice. For me, i tend to use 3-5 golf balls, max. Unless i am chipping, then i will hit more, but i will only chip if there isn't that many people around.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by airguard

The guy that practices putting on the chipping green!

Just wanted to add that we have 2 greens, one for putting and one for chipping.

I don't like the guys who putt out in one hole, and then putt from 2 feet away from that hole towards their next hole.  They occupy 2 holes at once.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Near the place I live in is a practice facility with a huge driving range, dedicated greens for chipping, putting and bunkers + a pitch n putt 9 holes course.

Rules posters are everywhere, with the correct behaviour the player is supposed to have on the differrent practice situations. And it works!

Because it's a training center ( not a course practice area) people seem more concerned with the rules of use.

In any event there are much less annoyances ( wich all of you describe well, and are cast in the same mould here in France!) than on the "warming" zones of the 18 holes course I use to play in.

Originally Posted by turtleback

I don't like the guys who putt out in one hole, and then putt from 2 feet away from that hole towards their next hole.  They occupy 2 holes at once.

had the same experience. I never finish my game because I was pissed off.

People who think they own the practice green and give you dirty looks even though theres plenty of room.  Oh, you wanted to practice 50' putts?  How about you work on sinking a 4' putt first!

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

People who bring a full bucket of range balls and hit them all over the place.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by airguard

The guy that practices putting on the chipping green!

And the opposite as well - practicing chipping on a putting green. I mean, it's pretty easy not to stab a 20-foot putt across the green & into another person practicing their putting. But chipping?

Another annoying thing, which doesn't count if the putting green is crowded - When someone putts at the same cup you're putting at...when there's five other unused cups to putt at. Then you have to go thru the 'Is this your ball or mine?' thing. (Cuz I don't use range balls to practice putting with)

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by turtleback

Sorry about that!

I always mark my golf ball(s) with my initials, and only play a certain brand.  I don't find it annoying as much as a little comical... When I practice at one facility here in Orange County - they have a chipping green.  And usually there are 3 to 4 people using it simultaneously.

One day I was chipping, and another older gentlemen was chipping near the hole I was hitting at.  And he had maybe 6 balls, and I had a similar count.  He kept picking up my balls - would look at them with a blank stare, see my initials/marking, and still ask me if that was my ball. Happened 3 or four separate occasions...  Finally, I closed up shop and went over to the putting green to avoid this character.

At another facility - they have a practice bunker, beside the chipping/pitching green.  There was a younger kid - probably 13 or so??  He was hitting shots from the bunker.  After the 3rd shot or so that I saw him fly across the green - one sailed my head.  I let him know he might want to aim away from people - and hit in a different direction.  The kid apologized, but continued to hit shots at or near me.

Note: This thread is 4094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!