IGNORED

How to handle slow players?

schalk
Note: This thread is 4101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My regular 4-some usually plays in 3:15-3:30...............the only true way to combat slow play is by choosing when to play.  If you don't like slow play.....PLAY EARLY!!  Just don't take the first tee time at my home course because that time is MINE!!  You don't want my group following you......if we see empty green space in front of you, we'll skip ahead of you if you don't wave us through.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

My regular 4-some usually plays in 3:15-3:30...............the only true way to combat slow play is by choosing when to play.  If you don't like slow play.....PLAY EARLY!!  Just don't take the first tee time at my home course because that time is MINE!!  You don't want my group following you......if we see empty green space in front of you, we'll skip ahead of you if you don't wave us through.

I really wish this was an option. Id be thrilled if I could book the first tee-time of the morning, play at my pace, and finish before 11am to have the rest of the day free. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that when almost every course in the area "double tee's" in the morning and afternoon. If I tee off at 7am, I have no option but to take my time and play slowly through the front 9. There are groups starting off #10 every 8 minutes from 7am until 9:30. If I get to the turn before 9:30, I'll just have to sit and wait until all the groups tee off before I can continue off #10 around 9:40. I guess it's the price I pay for having 100 courses within 30 minutes from my house. :(

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really wish this was an option. Id be thrilled if I could book the first tee-time of the morning, play at my pace, and finish before 11am to have the rest of the day free. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that when almost every course in the area "double tee's" in the morning and afternoon. If I tee off at 7am, I have no option but to take my time and play slowly through the front 9. There are groups starting off #10 every 8 minutes from 7am until 9:30. If I get to the turn before 9:30, I'll just have to sit and wait until all the groups tee off before I can continue off #10 around 9:40. I guess it's the price I pay for having 100 courses within 30 minutes from my house. :(

I'm playing tomorrow at a course nicknamed "Five Hour Farmstead". It's Farmstead Golf Links in Calabash, NC. I've never played the track, but have a 9:22am tee-time and hope the course doesn't live up to its nickname. It's finishing hole is a 767 yard par 6 that starts in SC and finishes in NC. It's the 4th longest hole in the country. I would blame it for the slow play, but it's their 18th hole. I guess we will see in the morning.

Ohhhh MY....I'd never play a course named "Five Hour"!! Yikes!  I can't remember that last time I played that late without a frost delay.

What's in Paul's Bag:

I used to play a very, very busy muni course and remember a round that was going to be about 7-1/2 hours.  On the 17th tee, with 2 groups waiting ahead of us to tee off, I packed it up and walked in.  Did not play that course again for maybe 5 years or so.

I have played in tournament rounds where it was extremely wet and we were playing cart path only that have taken almost 6 hours.  Several factors led to that however...first it was the CPO, second it was the fact that there were 108 players in the field and with shotgun start there were 9 holes that had 2 groups staring there.  It got backed up so quickly that the round just took forever.  When everyone is putting everything out, most are playing a course they have never played before...the round just drug on and on.  But, when it is a 4 day tournament and this is the first day having paid the entry fee...not going to WD and not get to play the next 3 days.

What I have found is that if you start b!tching and complaining to yourself or everyone else around you...it just makes you more miserable and will takes it toll on your play.  Best to sit back, entertain yourself or others around you while you wait and make the best of it.  Life is way too short already.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

I'm playing tomorrow at a course nicknamed "Five Hour Farmstead". It's Farmstead Golf Links in Calabash, NC. I've never played the track, but have a 9:22am tee-time and hope the course doesn't live up to its nickname. It's finishing hole is a 767 yard par 6 that starts in SC and finishes in NC. It's the 4th longest hole in the country. I would blame it for the slow play, but it's their 18th hole. I guess we will see in the morning.

Have played Farmstead in tournaments a few times and also some just fun practice rounds.  I love the speech they used to give about 18.  "You can land a plane in the fairway", and they tell you how long the hole is.   Let me tell you...I don't care what kind of plane they can land in that fairway...it slopes right to left to begin with, there is water on the left and when you tend to draw (sometime hook), you are going to aim way the heck right.  Now the hole becomes about 800 yards long.  You kill a drive, kill a 3 wood and you are still over 300 yards out.

Have played Farmstead in tournaments a few times and also some just fun practice rounds.  I love the speech they used to give about 18.  "You can land a plane in the fairway", and they tell you how long the hole is.   Let me tell you...I don't care what kind of plane they can land in that fairway...it slopes right to left to begin with, there is water on the left and when you tend to draw (sometime hook), you are going to aim way the heck right.  Now the hole becomes about 800 yards long.  You kill a drive, kill a 3 wood and you are still over 300 yards out.

It's not that bad. It is a par 6 after all. I hit Driver, 4i, 4i, and 7i and was on in regulation. Unfortunately I 3 putted for a bogey 7. The round took 4 hours and 40 minutes. The course was quite full with a large group of guys and we were forced to wait on every shot.

It's not that bad. It is a par 6 after all. I hit Driver, 4i, 4i, and 7i and was on in regulation. Unfortunately I 3 putted for a bogey 7.

The round took 4 hours and 40 minutes. The course was quite full with a large group of guys and we were forced to wait on every shot.

I know.  It is just wierd when you hit to solid shots and you are still 300 yards out.  I just hit 6 iron on the 3rd shot, 9 or wedge on 4th and hope to make a 5, no worse than 6.

Too bad Mac Hood left Farmstead for Florida.  I really like him.

4 hours and 40 minutes is not bad for a non-private golf course.  I play with a group of guys and we can play in less than 3 hours normally during the week in the afternoons.  But, on weekends, we expect rounds to be in the 4-1/2 hour range.  As I said before, no need to get upset.  It will screw with your game and it is not worth it.

I know.  It is just wierd when you hit to solid shots and you are still 300 yards out.  I just hit 6 iron on the 3rd shot, 9 or wedge on 4th and hope to make a 5, no worse than 6.  Too bad Mac Hood left Farmstead for Florida.  I really like him.  4 hours and 40 minutes is not bad for a non-private golf course.  I play with a group of guys and we can play in less than 3 hours normally during the week in the afternoons.  But, on weekends, we expect rounds to be in the 4-1/2 hour range.  As I said before, no need to get upset.  It will screw with your game and it is not worth it.

I'm prepared for 4 1/2 hour round of golf. It's the norm in this town. But most of the members of this forum seem to think anything over 4 hours is too long. I've rarely played a fourball round in under 4 hours. Just doesn't happen around here.

People often say "it's better than being at work" when talking about horrible and/or slow rounds of golf.  After seeing the OP spent over 7 hours (!) on his round--which is about what I spend in the office on a normal workday--I can comfortably say that I'd rather be at work than spend 7+ hours on a golf course.

That is, unless I'm playing 2 rounds of golf, of course.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I'm prepared for 4 1/2 hour round of golf. It's the norm in this town. But most of the members of this forum seem to think anything over 4 hours is too long. I've rarely played a fourball round in under 4 hours. Just doesn't happen around here.

The only time I played a fourball round in under 4 hours was on a private course with no group in front of us.  Even my NCGA tournament (with 10 minute starting times and no waiting) resulted in about a 4:10 round.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Also, considering this place is nicknamed Five Hour Farmstead, they seem to be attempting to educate players about ready golf.

Yes......but unfortunately those signs do no good.  I can appreciate that courses post those kinds of signs, but enforcement on the course is the only way to keep things moving. IMO....

What's in Paul's Bag:

I'm in the Chicago area and play public courses and this is what I'm prepared for too. Weekends a 5 hour round doesn't surprise me. It's not that I like it, but if I'm going to keep my costs lower and play less exclusive clubs, I try to set my expectations right.

Being the first on the course is optimal, but not necessary.    In general, if you just play before 8am...........your odds of completing the round in 4hrs or less go up exponentially.  It only takes one group to screw everything up so anything is possible if you aren't FIRST, but the slow hackers generally aren't the guys with 7am tee times if you know what I mean.

If you tee off at 9am-10am or 12noon, you should expect a 5hr round.  IMO

What's in Paul's Bag:

Being the first on the course is optimal, but not necessary.    In general, if you just play before 8am...........your odds of completing the round in 4hrs or less go up exponentially.  It only takes one group to screw everything up so anything is possible if you aren't FIRST, but the slow hackers generally aren't the guys with 7am tee times if you know what I mean.  If you tee off at 9am-10am or 12noon, you should expect a 5hr round.  IMO

I completely understand. I have no issue getting up at 5:45am for a 7:00am tee time. I also love being the first group out in the morning. But considering groups are going to be teeing off #10 up until 9:30am, playing quickly through the front 9 does me no good. I still have to wait until all groups have begun their round off #10, before I can make my turn and play the back 9. The only reward for teeing off first and playing the front in 2 hours gets you, is a longer break at the halfway house.

Note: This thread is 4101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!