IGNORED

Using AimPoint to read greens from fairways.

MattM
Note: This thread is 4126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I read in one of the threads the other day that Iacas could read the greens from the fairway. I was wondering not just from him but from other OLDER aimpoint users how exactly that's done.

I started aimpoint right after they created the midpoint read and one of the things that was drilled into me was NOT to use my eyes because the eyes could be deceptive.

I know what the terms anchor refers to etc, but I didn't really practice finding that as much because of the emphasis on the midpoint read.

I have tons of pitch shots that if I could read the green pretty well from the fairway I would have stuck it close, but I always get "fooled," by my eyes.

Anyway, is there some distinct routine to take to begin to read from the fairway?

BTW....Iacas if I should post this on the aimpoint forum instead let me know, but I figured since mostly aimpoint users would know the terms it wouldn't be a big deal to talk about it here.....

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by MattM

Anyway, is there some distinct routine to take to begin to read from the fairway?

That's all it is - beginning the read. You can look at the high and low anchors. You can begin to approximate slope %. You can get all of the numbers pretty close, then quickly fine-tune them when you get onto the green.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's what gets me is the anchor stuff.  Before I started aimpoint I was always trying to look for the highpoint of the green but I frequently screwed that up because as I was told in my class the eyes will decieve you.

The definitions of anchor on the aimpoint website aren't very good.  From what I understand of the anchor it is just the highest point of the green and the lowest point right?

I am fine with the mid reads on the green what kills me is that I frequently never put the ball where it should be from the fairway because I dont know what to look for on the green to read it.....

It's kind of a catch 22 because I was told not to use my eyes but to read it from the fairway you have too....

• Administrator
Originally Posted by MattM

It's kind of a catch 22 because I was told not to use my eyes but to read it from the fairway you have too....

I disagree.

The point is not to RELY on your eyes for 100% of everything. You still use them to give you a general idea, to get you "in the neighborhood." Then you refine.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The anchors are not just the highest and lowest parts of the green but the highest and lowest relative to the pin location. Sometimes, high anchors can be in the middle of the green. Use your eyes to estimate slope direction and amount for approach shots. Then use midpoint once on the green to refine the read. Estimate then refine.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by John Graham

The anchors are not just the highest and lowest parts of the green but the highest and lowest relative to the pin location. Sometimes, high anchors can be in the middle of the green. Use your eyes to estimate slope direction and amount for approach shots. Then use midpoint once on the green to refine the read. Estimate then refine.

Right. And thanks for further clarifying on the anchors. :)

Note: This thread is 4126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!