IGNORED

How much time do you devote to practice?

MJK3122
Note: This thread is 4098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm wondering how much practice time you guys devote per week. If you do practice, how do you break it down. Do you have a certain routine? I currently practice about an hour a day. It is almost all devoted to putting as it is by far my weakest area. I also play about 2 rounds a week. I'm looking for ideas from other players so I can maximize my results.

Taylormade 425 R7 Driver- Tour stiff Cobra AMP 3 wood- Stiff Titleist 704 CB irons 2-PW Cleveland 588 wedges- 56 and 60 Ping Pick Em Up- belly putter Taylormade Penta 5 balls

Track your game, and you'll know where you are losing strokes. How many Fairways do you hit per round? How many GIR's. How many putts per GIR? What's your up-and-down percentage?  Answer those questions, and you will have the answer.

Personally, I play 2-3 times a week. I'll go to the range if there is something specific I want to work on, but no more than a couple times a week.  My bones can't take too many range balls.

In the winter I usually play once a week and go to the range 3 times.  In the summer I play about 4-5 times a week and am at the course each day practicing.  My routine never changes though.  I only go on days where I have enough time for my whole routine, I don't like rushing things.  My handicap doesn't show my ball striking though.  I lose a lot of strokes on the putting green, so my routine focuses on putting mostly.

I get there and spend 10 minutes on stretching before hitting a basket (50 balls) and progress through my clubs from Wedge to driver obviously. Then I head to the practice green and putt until i'm satisfied.  I start from 3 feet with 3 balls.  I move back all the way to 10 feet at 1 foot intervels only moving when I sink 3 in a row from each spot.  Then I work on break putts and longer putts and so forth.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

In the winter, I hit balls either into a net or at a heated range about once per week.  But I also practice set up and swings without a ball in front of a mirror about 5 days per week.  I have the Orange Whip now to work with as well.

I have a putting mat in my basement and try to putts some every other day.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm in Canada. I can't play or practise in the winters. I do make swings infront of a mirror during the winter days, to keep a feel that i work on during the season, but thats all.

During the golf season i play 2-3 times a week,and i practise 6-7 days a week. I'm not set to a routine at the practise range. I always work toward my weaknesses when i practise. Which are long irons and driver. My 125 and in game is my strength, so i generally wouldn't hit more then 1-2 balls with wedges, but spent the majority of the bucket hitting 3 iron.

Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18

In the winter I usually play once a week and go to the range 3 times.  In the summer I play about 4-5 times a week and am at the course each day practicing.  My routine never changes though.  I only go on days where I have enough time for my whole routine, I don't like rushing things.  My handicap doesn't show my ball striking though.  I lose a lot of strokes on the putting green, so my routine focuses on putting mostly.

I get there and spend 10 minutes on stretching before hitting a basket (50 balls) and progress through my clubs from Wedge to driver obviously. Then I head to the practice green and putt until i'm satisfied.  I start from 3 feet with 3 balls.  I move back all the way to 10 feet at 1 foot intervels only moving when I sink 3 in a row from each spot.  Then I work on break putts and longer putts and so forth.

I have tried this drill.  It's a great drill for bringing pressure to the practice green.  Once I get to the 7 foot range, I get nervous about missing.

Taylormade 425 R7 Driver- Tour stiff Cobra AMP 3 wood- Stiff Titleist 704 CB irons 2-PW Cleveland 588 wedges- 56 and 60 Ping Pick Em Up- belly putter Taylormade Penta 5 balls

2-4 hours minimum on weekends; I like to dedicate an afternoon on saturday. If I can play competition golf or a course it's sunday.

depending on work (agency locations change) I go to practice for lunch, that 5 hours of practice per week.

the thing is I love practicing, especially my short game shots around a green with friends we play closest to the flag, hitting range boards etc.

One thing I've learned : a big volume of practice is of very little help. i progress really when i take lessons. practice is really for the touch, confidence and fun part but not much more.

At present, roughly 3 hours a week practice with 2+ rounds total during the week and/or weekend.

Currently getting used to a new putter so im in constant putt putt mode, indoor and out lol.

With winter here I spend most of my practice time hitting into nets, swinging in front of mirrors and cameras and putting on my 18' birdieball mat. How much varies on my schedule but it's at least 30 minutes a day. Typically in the morning following my workout. Usually hit about 80 balls, half with a wedge into a chipping net and half with different club each day.  If I am home at night I'll hit more balls into the net with a mid iron. My goal this winter is to increase my flexibility so I may mix some of that into practice, just bought a golf specific flexibility training book.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most single digit handicaps practice/play a lot while a few just warm up before a round? (according to the postings so far) Interesting as I am trying to be a single digit handicap someday. I've heard a lot about putting practice so far. Hmmm.

During golf season I hit balls at least once a week and spend a coupe of hours chipping/pitching. I play 27 holes a week on average, 18 and 9. I also practice putting on my indoor mat while I watch tv throughout the week. When I chip/pitch I always putt out each ball as if I am playing a real round.

I putt on my living room carpet at least 5 minutes every day and I try to go to the range twice a week.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I'm no doubt atypical since I am in the process of getting back into the game after quite a few year layoff. At this point I am spending 8 to 10 hours a week on the range and pitching green. I too putt out when chipping/pitching assuming I have the green to myself. Recently I have also been trying to spend at least another half hour a day on the putting green, so another 2 - 3 hours a week there. So far as a routine, I always start on the range hitting a pitching wedge sorta working up to full swings. From there, it's usually whatever I'm working on after the latest lesson. Right now the course is staying pretty busy so I'm not playing that much, trying for nine in the afternoon once or twice a week when it looks like I can get around without too much waiting. I am hoping by the spring to spend more time on the course than on the range...

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I know this is the reason for my lack of game but i never practice in the winter, its just too cold for me to care. I have a trip coming in early feb to florida so i'll probably hit a few buckets the week before but thats it. I tend to go to the range a little more in the spring but not very often at all.

Well I work about 60 hours a week so my playing / practice time is limited. During the winter I try to play if the temp is 45* or above. If not I go to the heated range. At the range I usually hit 120 to 150 balls (I know the number of balls because the machine feeds the balls one at a time via an underground feeding system and keeps track of your usage).  I try to hit the range twice a week.

During the spring/summer/fall I play ~27 holes a week (18 & 9) and hit the range once a week.

I'm still working on getting a consistent swing.  I have a membership to a golf practice area and get between 30-90 minutes per day (depending on how crowded it is).  I also work a bit on my putting stroke at home, maybe 10 minutes per day.

I just started a few months ago and only played par-3 courses last summer.  I'm looking to make the jump to full length courses so I hope to be more comfortable with my woods by April time.

Note: This thread is 4098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!