IGNORED

Releasing wrists problem

WillM
Note: This thread is 4101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I am left handed and play golf right handed which causes one large problem. I have trouble releasing my right wrist into the ball so I, 100% of the time without fail, hit a fade that sometimes turns into a slice with longer clubs. I am by no means a bad golfer but I want to start learning how to shape shots and as of right now I can only hit a fade. Does anyone have some tips or drills to help release the wrists/roll forearms? I think they would definitely help me hitter the ball straighter and begin to control a draw. As far as I have been told this is the only major flaw left in my swing but it is pretty big. Very much appreciated if you can help! I have been plagued by this for years!

:titleist::vokey::edel:

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

I have the same issue. Lefty playing right and I keep the club face open too long past impact. However, I would guess that swingpath is contributing to the ballflight you describe. I would recommend posting a video... Need to do the same myself. As for the release, I'm working on pointing the club at the target/extending arms to the target after impact. I start with short swings and get longer as I feel I have it down. As I said it's still a problem for me so I'm leaving this one wide open for others to weigh in.

Great drill here

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread#post_783068

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the same issue. Lefty playing right and I keep the club face open too long past impact. However, I would guess that swingpath is contributing to the ballflight you describe. I would recommend posting a video... Need to do the same myself. As for the release, I'm working on pointing the club at the target/extending arms to the target after impact. I start with short swings and get longer as I feel I have it down. As I said it's still a problem for me so I'm leaving this one wide open for others to weigh in.

Swing path could be an issue, I used to come very inside to "compensate" for my ball flight and try and hit a draw. It actually worked pretty well but my coach did not like the backswing path so we changed it to more on plane. I will try to get around to posting a video thanks.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

I developed the opposite in trying to promote a draw, which only lead to a slight hook and losing my lag at impact. Fortunately I worked on this today with my coach with the following drill to start to become conscious of club face angle in relation to path. These are partial swings mind you....almost like a really really strong hinge and hold pitch. Its called the army drill I guess. Hit one straight right Hit one straight left Hit one right that fades Hit one left that draws Hit one right that draws Hit one left that fades, etc. I did this for 45 minutes.....and saw immediate results when I stopped thinking and swung away after.

Is it a fade or a slice? A fade would start left and fade back to the target, a push slice would start right then curve to the right and a straight slice would start relatively straight then curve to the right.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's more of a fade and becomes more of a straight slice with longer clubs. I've been doing a few drills recommended by my coach and they seem to be helping

Note: This thread is 4101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!