IGNORED

Marijuana use among PGA pros

KiawahConnor
Note:Β This thread is 3604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I was just wondering how many golfers on Tour partake in "herbal extracurriculars" Personally my friends and I might light one up on the course if there's nobody else out there and sometimes it'll calm my nerves enough to play better or relax after a missed 2 footer lol I'm sure rickie fowler blazes up every once in a while haha

My guess is few if any of the top 50, only because I'm not familiar with the sub 50 guys,Β and despite the looks Rickie is pretty straight-laced. I wouldn't doubt if he's never tried pot. Most of those guys are conservative, family oriented types.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by KiawahConnor

I was just wondering how many golfers on Tour partake in "herbal extracurriculars"

Personally my friends and I might light one up on the course if there's nobody else out there and sometimes it'll calm my nerves enough to play better or relax after a missed 2 footer lol

I'm sure rickie fowler blazes up every once in a while haha

They are subject to drug testing so they'd be stupid to do so.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Hooker80

Has a Tour player ever been suspended for illegal drug use?

I think that while players are tested the relationship between the tour and the players would make it difficult for them to suspend a player. From what I understand, pros do not work for the PGA Tour as an NFL player works for the NFL (albeit represented by the player's union), they are more like independent contractors. While I am sure the PGA Tour has the ability/authority to suspend players from their events, I think that the relationships between certain players (top players) and some of the sponsors might make that more difficult than it is on paper.

Maybe I am way off but I am willing to bet that if it ever came to that it would not be made public, especially if it involved a top 50 player and it would be negotiated between the PGA Tour, the sponsors for the events and the player.

Well I heard something about Matt Every getting suspended for it but I've also heard that the USGA doesn't test for THC, they only test for performance enhancers and beta blockers. I don't know any of that to be fact, it's just stuff I read online and they can't put anytging that's not true on the Internet as I'm sure we all know. But I do remember in a golf digest Robert Garrigus was quoted saying he and a "bunch of guys" were lighting up in the port-o-John during nationwide tour events.

Good point KConner. Can we find a copy of the PGA drug testing protocol and substances tested for? Β I know the PGA likes to keep as much as possible under cover and secret but the drug testing ought to be fully out in the open and disclosed for positive social benefits..

And just because any particular activity may indeed be 'stupid', Β that alone will not change any one's use/habit. Β Just look at the intelligent folks using cigarettes. And to label any action or belief as 'stupid' is usually highly subjective: just consider the various religions of the world.

I agree with you completely, especially the cigarette comment. And I'm sure there's a ton of very intelligent professionals in other non-athletic careers that smoke marijuana. I only started this thread because of what I read about the players in the port-o-johns. And I go to university of South Carolina and a few years ago after the Beijing Olympics, Michael phelps got photographed here in Columbia smoking from a bong. And he has a million gold medals!!!

Good point KConner. Can we find a copy of the PGA drug testing protocol and substances tested for? Β I know the PGA likes to keep as much as possible under cover and secret but the drug testing ought to be fully out in the open and disclosed for positive social benefits.. And just because any particular activity may indeed be 'stupid', Β that alone will not change any one's use/habit. Β Just look at the intelligent folks using cigarettes. And to label any action or belief as 'stupid' is usually highly subjective: just consider the various religions of the world.

Regardless of whether you are ok with marijuana use, it seems "stupid" to jeopardize millions for a brief high.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Regardless of whether you are ok with marijuana use, it seems "stupid" to jeopardize millions for a brief high.

But what if it's not tested for and a player tokes up in his car before the round or even has THC infused foods on the course? They make granola bars and cookies nowadays with THC in them. All I'm wondering is, do they include THC in their drug testing, and if not, how many players might actually smoke or consume THC during rounds today? And when you say "jeopardizing millions of dollars" are they jeopardizing because weed is illegal or because in your opinion it's more of a performance inhibitor rather than an enhancer? Because when I play and I start getting the yips or getting frustrated, I swear it calms me down like cigarettes do for my friends.

Good point KConner. Can we find a copy of the PGA drug testing protocol and substances tested for? Β I know the PGA likes to keep as much as possible under cover and secret but the drug testing ought to be fully out in the open and disclosed for positive social benefits.. And just because any particular activity may indeed be 'stupid', Β that alone will not change any one's use/habit. Β Just look at the intelligent folks using cigarettes. And to label any action or belief as 'stupid' is usually highly subjective: just consider the various religions of the world.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Marijuana is on the list of banned substances but the PGA Tour uses it's own discretion when determining the penalty for failing a drug test due to marijuana use.Β  Finchem has been criticized for the PGA Tour's drug policy especially given the new stricter testing andΒ stiffer penalties the LPGA recently announced.

Joe Paradiso

what i think is funny is that any of you guys think that they would get caught in a drug test, only an idiot would get caught.Β  I work in nuclear power plants, and oil refineries, all of which have rediculously strict drug policies, and i know guys that smoke more dope in a week than most have ever seen their whole lives, they always pass the tests, theres ways around them.Β  personally i dont smoke anything, but i've got no problem with anyone that wants to smoke a little weed, id rather have a liberal pothead, than a conservative alchoholic in a nuke containment with me.Β  That being said, i live in illinois and have been to the john deer and cog hill, and have been at a few of the local night spots after the rounds were done and there are a few well known pros that party like frat boys on spring break... weed included.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Shit, just listen to Dustin Johnson talk. Dude blazes.

LMAO. Just listening to him makes me wanna burn one down!

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

Haha I live in Columbia SC where DJ is from and I work with a guy that went to high school with him and he said he didn't smoke in high school but I'm sure when he got to Coastal Carolina he started. If not, he has stronger will power than I do.

Note:Β This thread is 3604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!