IGNORED

Poll on Range Finders

RobbyDuzak
Note: This thread is 2247 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

89 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own Range Finder?

• Have a range finder in the bag
    • Want one,but don't want to spend money on one
    • Do not need or want one

GPS app on my phone.  Like Stretch said, I feel blindfolded without it.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a Bushnell Yardage Pro XGC, As others have said it speeds up play, no looking for markers, just walk to the ball (no matter what fairway it's on) and know your distance to the front, middle and back of the green. Had a few lasers, to involved!

I have low end version of each type of "range finder" and I love the versatility.  The Bushnell Medalist laser device is accurate as anything and picks out the flag every time I've tried up to 250+.  I can't imagine any other feature (higher zoom, elevation) being that important enough to shell out basically double what the Medalist goes for today.

I also have the Izzo 3000, a simple "front/middle/back" GPS, for distances where laser isn't necessary, or if maybe I'm riding in a cart and forgot to get a laser measurement (since it fits in a belt clip and doesn't impede with my swing), or for giving a playing partner a little extra info for his/her shot.  They're both super handy and well worth the money.

If I could only have one though, I'd take the laser, hands down.

Nike SQ MachSpeed Driver 

Calloway RAZR Fit 3W  

Taylor Made R7 Irons 

White Ice #1 35" 

Mizuno F50 5-7W 

Bushnell Medalist Range Finder 

I would like to get one just have not broken down yet, but to know how far and what club to use would be nice. Even at the range i know they do not keep up with the flags so you never really know how far you are hitting, that in it self would be great. Looks like I need to beark down and get one.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I have a Garmin GPS watch, and have ordered a laser rangefinder. I am determined to get really comfortable with what my yardages actually are on the range and then know what I am faced with on the course...

I use FreeCaddie on my Android phone, if anything. Sometimes I play without it for the challenge/learning to guage, but I must say its nice to have it when I do use it.....

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

I also used to use freecaddie, and then bought a Bushnell Z6. Feel a little bit "naked" off the tee with distances to certain locations, but its amazing when you're going for the green!

Callaway Optiforce - 11.5 Degree

Callaway XHOT Pro - 4 Wood

Callaway XHOT Pro Hybrid - 19 Degree

Callaway Apex - 4, 5, 6

Mizuno MP 64 - 7, 8, 9, P

Mizuno MP R12 - 50, 54 Degree

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 - 58 Degree

Odyssey Versa #7

I have Golfshot GPS on my iPhone and a Bushnell V2. Love the golfshot for blind turns and keeping score/hdcp but for greens, the V2 can't be beat. My GIR has gone up significantly over the last month since I bought it.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

I grew up playing without a GPS/rangefinder, playing for 20 years and finally purchasing the Nikon LR550.

Using the laser rangefinder has sped up the pace of play for me, and helped me better understand my distances.  I typically do not use the rangefinder within 60 yards, but find it very useful when playing new courses and avoiding trouble, and fine-tuning things on the range.  Highly recommend!

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I use both a GPS and a rangefinder. My GPS is a golfbuddy world and the Rangefinder is a Leupold. I use the GPS more often as it is just quicker. I usually only use the rangefinder when I have a question about a yardage to a specific spot on the course. I played many years just pacing off my yardage, its overrated and considerably slower.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I've got neither at this point. Because of money, not because I have some odd distaste for technology.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Fourputt

To anyone who is interested, they are all "rangefinders".  A golf GPS is a rangefinder.  A laser is a rangefinder.  That is what they do - they measure the distance or "range" from where you are to whatever the target is that you have in mind.  Some do it better than others.  I personally prefer a graphics based GPS.  My Garmin G5 will do virtually anything a laser will do, and it will do things that a laser can't do (like get accurate distance through trees and over hills when I can't see the target).  I used to have both a laser and GPS, but when I got the Garmin, I found that I didn't need the laser any more.

So yes, I use a rangefinder, but I don't use a laser.

+1.

I tinkered with lasers and GPSs and I found that I'm more comfortable with GPS-type rangefinders.  Either system will give you distance, so that's neither here nor there.  However, I like GPS because it provides me with a topographical view of the hole.  With that information, I can quickly determine where the safe areas are on layups and where the "fat" part of the greens really are.  So, for me, the GPS gives me not just distance, but equally important, an idea of where I should aim.  I just bought a Garmin G6 and I really like it.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I have used both at one time or another but prefer the GPS.  It is easier to use, has all the information you need, is accurate enough for 99% of the golfers out there, and I don't have to worry about pointing it.  I presently have a Sky Caddie SGX.

Butch

I love my Ranger Finder and will never stop using one. I also have Golf Logix GPS which I enjoy as well.  Between the two, I tend to pull out the Range Finder first as it's fast and more accurate when say grabbing the distance of the pin on a par 3.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

• 2 months later...

Though I own a laser rangefinder I can see the reason why others would feel GPS is a more simpler way to go, Other than getting a precise yardage to a pin I think the gps may have an advantage on giving carry distances over hazards and traps and obviously on ones at an elevation. More than once I have accidentally shot a tree or hillside behind a flag because you have to hold the thing so darn steady at times ( it does take a little practice to get the hang of these things). Ultimately I think a gps will be with me in the near future but I still want to have a laser as well just to get a precise measurement once in a while when needed.

I use the Golflogix app on my android phone.   It can be set up to suggest a club based upon your distance to any object on the hole.   It can measure to any hazard and with it I can measure the distances of each shot.    I was thinking about buying a laser range finder but I believe, for me, this is sufficient.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I've got a Leupold GX-1 and a Golf Buddy Voice. I love the GBP. Probably the reason I like it so much is no longer having to spend $$ on Sky Caddy subscriptions.

The Leupold GX-1 has been my constant golfing companion for the past 3 to 4 years. It has started to begin being a little flaky so I see a new GX-2i in my future.

Joezilla

Originally Posted by slodsm

I have Golfshot GPS on my iPhone and a Bushnell V2. Love the golfshot for blind turns and keeping score/hdcp but for greens, the V2 can't be beat. My GIR has gone up significantly over the last month since I bought it.

+1 cept Golfshot on droid

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 2247 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!