IGNORED

Nike Vr Covert Driver - What do you think?

Casey
Note: This thread is 3954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I got to try out the tour driver and compared it to the 913D3 and the 910D2 (my current driver) all with their respective stock Mitsubishi shafts around the same relative weight. The smaller 430cc club head at address did give a more confident look and the black sole and face definitely looks a lot better than the 460cc. The same goes with the D3 model compared to the D2.

Here's the average distances I got between the 3 drivers:

910D2 - 273

913D3 - 275

Covert - 283

For all three drivers, I did have some mishits for all three drivers (mostly going towards the heel), but the Covert didn't lose much yardage compared to both Titleist - definitely more forgiving. Overall, I was more impressed by the Covert Tour than the regular model and was actually surprised how much better I hit the ball compared to the Titleist. After some thought, I decided to pull the trigger.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Tried it indoors at Golf Galaxy a couple of weeks ago. Nike rep, "Princess Nike" will be at shop throughout March. I guess Nike needs to sell more sticks to pay off Rory M.

I hit it several times, and actually did slightly better with stiff shaft than regular. (That's odd, I dumped stiff in 2009).

I got about 87 MPH on half the shots, about + 3 over my current driver. Trajectory was high, mid and low (pre-season swing wobble?) Had unusual sound.

I want to go back after some golf spring training -  hit a few buckets and play a couple of times to get my swing back in shape. This is one club I would want to hit outdoors on demo day to see how it really flies.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For all three drivers, I did have some mishits for all three drivers (mostly going towards the heel), but the Covert didn't lose much yardage compared to both Titleist - definitely more forgiving. Overall, I was more impressed by the Covert Tour than the regular model and was actually surprised how much better I hit the ball compared to the Titleist. After some thought, I decided to pull the trigger.  [/URL]

Did you notice the difference in sound? The Tour is definitely more "pingy," while the regular model has more of a muted "thwack" sound, backwards of what I was expecting. It does seem to be more apparent outdoors though.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jamo

Did you notice the difference in sound? The Tour is definitely more "pingy," while the regular model has more of a muted "thwack" sound, backwards of what I was expecting. It does seem to be more apparent outdoors though.

I didn't test both the tour and the regular model at the same time so unfortunately I wasn't able to tell the difference in sound. But when I tested the regular to the 913D2, the 913 performed better so I ruled out testing the regular Covert the second time around and just did a comparison with the tour version. I do like the pingy sound of the tour model though.

Also, even though I tested the 913 and covert with Mitsubishi shafts, the Kuro Kage silver made a huge difference in the coverts, especially in the tour model. Very impressed by them.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I love those Nike commercials. After watching the one that people were saying 'I'm sorry' on, made me think that more people are going to be hitting into me this year. I guess I have Nike to thank for that. Anyways, I'm curious to see how this driver hits. I would guess that the large cavity in the back would make this club sound hollow when you drive the ball. Let me know how it sounds.

I got fit yesterday for a new driver. With a swing speed that hovers right at 100 mph, I found the Nike to be the most consistent driver in the group. The callaway razr fit xtreme was longer but $100 more and was less consistent. I carried the Nike around 250 and had about 2500 rpm of back spin. My driver will be in in about 2-3 weeks is what they are telling me.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

• 2 months later...

I bought it a couple of months ago and was really struggling finding a comfort level with it, especially on the launch monitors indoors.  I can honestly say that a month ago I was really having buyers remorse.  Not sure what happened tho, but in the past couple of weeks everything has clicked after playing with the settings and setting it to 8.5* and neutral (swing speed averaged 115), i've never felt as confident stepping up to drive.  I have the tour version because I was a slicer, but I think a combination of lessons and this club has cured my ills greatly.  Id honestly say ive increaed my accuracy by about 50% (not slicing at all in my last 20+ plus drives), and when I miss I miss on the line I was starting the ball at, so I either hit it where I want or miss it where I would expect to miss it at.  Distance wise, on a no wind day, i averaged between 280-290 yards consistently.  Are there other clubs that are longer...yes, there are.  But im a believer in the covert and ill sacrifice a few yards for confidence any day, thats what i feel now with this driver in hand.  Very happy I stuck with it...

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

Note: This thread is 3954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!