IGNORED

Nike Vr Covert Driver - What do you think?

Casey
Note: This thread is 3935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So today Nike released the concept of its new line for 2013, the Vr Covert line. You  have probably seen the advertisements around TST and elsewhere. Obviously the the most interesting thing about this line is the "Cavity back" driver. What do you think of this design? Supposedly the purpose is to redistribute weight away from the center of the face towards the sides to make it more forgiving. However in my opinion the added material in the club head due to the cavity back means that the COG will be higher and further back, making it harder to get the ball airborne unless you use a higher loft. In that case, you lose distance because of the higher trajectory and added spin. What am I missing here? Of course I am not an expert and don't know much about clubhead design, but this just seems way too novel and takes the term "gimmick" to a whole new level. What do y'all think?

Interesting concept.....maybe if Nike gave some away, they could generate positive responses and stimulate sales.

Otherwise this will be a hard sell...like the "Burrows Mac" driver that had a hole in the back as well.

Originally Posted by colin007

Gimmick? Have you seen the new TM drivers??

I will withhold my opinion until i see it in person...

Well obviously TM's method of rolling out a new line of "revolutionary" new technology every year is quite gimmicky and I'm not denying that. But i mean, a CB driver? Thats way more out there than adding weighting ports and face angle options and springy faces.

I like the look of the Nike driver, I'm really curious how the driver feels with a hole in the back!?!  I'm going to try it as soon as it comes to my neck of the woods, and I do like it more than TM's (terrible)offerings of this year. That's coming from a guy who played TM drivers since the R9 came out, but i have to say that new R1 looks like a lolly pop, and i cant believe pro's use it...

Originally Posted by shooter

who played TM drivers since the R9 came out, but i have to say that new R1 looks like a lolly pop, and i cant believe pro's use it...

Money talks !!!

Put millions in my bank account I'll game a Warrior Driver on Tour (oh wait, that is John Daly)

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Originally Posted by erock9174

Money talks !!!

Put millions in my bank account I'll game a Warrior Driver on Tour (oh wait, that is John Daly)

This is true.

I'm almost certain that if your sponsored by TM you are obligated to play the latest equipment, no ifs, ands, or buts!

I'm interested to see how this driver performs.  There was a very favorable review posted on WRX about this club, which was fun to read.

The technology makes sense to me... we may be talking incremental improvements in MOI and forgiveness, but I'd imagine the shaping and wall thickness of the cavity also allows them to do different things with the clubs center of gravity that wouldn't be possible with a 'traditional' head.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I think it looks great and a really interesting concept. Can't wait to try it out.

Driver - 10.5° Callaway RAZR Fit 

3 Wood - 15° Callaway Diablo Octane

Hybrid - 18.25° & 21° Titleist 913H 

Irons 5-PW - Cleveland CG16 Satin Chrome

Gap Wedge - 50° MD Golf NV Drew Standard Bounce 

Sand Wedge - 56° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Lob Wedge - 60° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Putter - Cleveland Classic Black Platinum 6

Yes, interesting concept. I'm sure the performance will be quite good but I'm not a fan of the red top or the Nike Swoosh on the crown, too distracting.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Best looking Nike driver EVER and the technology makes sense too. Wasn't sure about the red, but it looks good. Much better than the TMAG and ADAMS billboards imo.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

• 1 month later...

When I first saw it, I thought it was ugly... I thought the big swoosh on the crown would be distracting and that the cavity on the sole would look weird. I've come around on it though. I think it has a really nice shape, especially the tour version, and the swoosh actually looks cool and I don't find distracting while using it (I hit it a little at the store). The cavity is kind of odd, but you don't see it at address and if it works, then it really doesn't matter.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by christhegolfer

what paint can you use?

good question - im not sure but i doubt it could be too difficult.  tape it off, scuff the paint where you want to paint, and then hit it with some good quality spray paint?

i hit the Covert the other week, i didnt like it.  i didnt like the shape of the head and i didnt like the feel of the face.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tried the 460 clubhead and compared it to the 913D2, both with Mitsubishi shafts, 9.5* loft and neutral settings this past weekend. I really wanted to like the Covert but I wasn't hitting it as well as the 913. I was getting about 10-15 yards more out of the 913.

Aesthetically, I like the look of the Covert. The swoosh on the bottom had zero distractions and I like the red finish. It's not too bright or too dark. That and the color scheme on the Kuro Kage shaft made it look really sexy. I didn't have too much time to try out the tour head, but I want to compare that and the 913D3 as well to see if I can get better results compared to the larger ones.

The only gripe I have is I wish they kept the sole colors consistent. It's really not that big a deal since you don't look at the sole at address, but in the bag, I think the all black and red looks better than the chrome on the 460 head. Just like Titleist, the only thing different besides the clubhead is the ending number - D2 or D3.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I hit the 460 and even though you can't really judge distance on a LM, you can judge accuracy......and it was right down the Pike.

I also hit the new Cobra Amp Cell.....and it was right down the pike, but a little longer.

Note: This thread is 3935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!