• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cutshot878

Adjusting stance width for fades and draws

1 post in this topic

Tell me if this sounds right or at least plausible:

Draw :  a wider stance (slightly closed, right foot behind left foot, combined with a strong left hand grip) will minimize hip turn and allow you to make more of an arm swing which could make it easier to draw the ball. I was experimenting on the course yesterday with my 6 iron and found this to be true. With a narrow stance (while trying to draw the ball) the hips might clear too early on the downswing and you could get "stuck" and just hit a big push with no draw. Or maybe even a shank with the irons?

Fade : a more narrow stance (slightly open and weakening my left hand grip) will allow the hips to clear earlier. When I narrowed my stance I felt like I could really rotate my hips faster and this helped me hit a fade. I felt like I could aggressively rotate my hips (clear my left hip) and still really fade the ball.

Is this just random tweak# 8,678 or has anyone else experienced this effect?  Has anyone else ever adjusted their stance width to manipulate ball flight?  I know some folks just flip their wrists over aggressively to hit a draw but that requires perfect timing---I don't like to use any aggressive hand manipulation. My arms and hands (on the downswing) are just along for the ride.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Final chapter - mystery solved......and boy am I a "dufus".......like "DUH".... The hosel adapter for Tour Edge Exotics has a short 1.75 inch sleeve that slips over the attachment screw to hold the screw straight (and prevent cross threading I presume).  Somehow when the shaft was removed, the sleeve had slid up into the shaft, hidden from view. The shaft (with hidden sleeve) was then installed into another standard head and during installation, had gotten loose and was free to slide up and down the shaft. When I bonded the shaft to the head, I had given it a small tap on the grip end to seat the shaft which is recommended practice by some fitters. This action would have presumably forced the sleeve up in the shaft and due to larger diameter of the shaft, was free to slide. I don't feel too bad however, as I had made a telephone call to a local fitter, and he was dumfounded as well. 
    • I think a qualified fitter should be able to provide that info! Of course, I have to allow for the fact that, like a medical diagnosis, @Spring1 is simply looking for a second opinion, albeit from complete and total strangers who have never seen him swing a club. Look, @Spring1, I'm not trying to be rude here, nor is anyone else. It's just that your question confuses us a bit. And don't let this "grilling" scare you away. We're honestly curious and would like to help. FWIW, graphite shafts are lighter than steel. So, if you stick the same length graphite into a formerly steel shafted iron, it's going to monkey with the swingweight. It will make it lighter! To compensate, most manufacturers will make the graphite shafted clubs slightly longer to get the swingweight back up. The question is whether or not you can hit those longer irons as accurately as the originals. You should be allowed to hit both models and make a decision from that. And, I notice that you're a 39, and you mentioned the Ping brand in particular. So, I'm guessing this was a "golf store" fitting, and not a "custom clubmaker" fitting. Then another possibility presents itself. Maybe @Spring1 is wondering whether the store "fitter" is trying to upsell him into something more expensive, or something they need to move! All that matters is performance. Do the clubs work for you? And, of course, I could be entirely wrong about everything I've typed above and made a complete fool of myself! But then, I (and we) could use a bit more info.
    • Saw something intresting during my round the other day.my home club here in new zealand has a pretty relaxed dress code.and I was in my normal sort of outfit for a warm day.plain shorts,and a plain blue Nike t-shirt with no graphics or logos on it.no knee length white socks thou lol.and saw a visitor to our club dressed in golf pants and a polo. But his polo had a big skull and crossbones on it with the skull smoking.just playing devils advocate here,but it would be intresting to see what happened if he turned up at the only course in our area that stipulates a collar.ild argue that a plain t-shirt looks a lot better.(all thou as i said in the original post i always stick a polo on when i play at that club)
    • He's still young too thou,is it a case of just needing to mature a bit.and get a bit more experience.(how old is he exactly i know his early 20s?) I know he's not the same type of players but i seem to remember sergio garcia having a lot of blow up holes when he was younger,and losing his temper a lot more over it.and he seems to have matured into a much more composed player these days. That said ild take Jordan's game over mine in a heartbeat 
    • Could be the greens you play.  There is one course I play ocassionally that has greens that are not too fast but are hard.  It's hard to make a ball mark, it's hard to stop the ball.  You have to try to adjust to the roll.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. bigtosh90
      bigtosh90
      (27 years old)
    2. dopplegvnger
      dopplegvnger
      (25 years old)
    3. Frank62
      Frank62
      (55 years old)