IGNORED

Adjusting stance width for fades and draws

Note: This thread is 4124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tell me if this sounds right or at least plausible:

Draw :  a wider stance (slightly closed, right foot behind left foot, combined with a strong left hand grip) will minimize hip turn and allow you to make more of an arm swing which could make it easier to draw the ball. I was experimenting on the course yesterday with my 6 iron and found this to be true. With a narrow stance (while trying to draw the ball) the hips might clear too early on the downswing and you could get "stuck" and just hit a big push with no draw. Or maybe even a shank with the irons?

Fade : a more narrow stance (slightly open and weakening my left hand grip) will allow the hips to clear earlier. When I narrowed my stance I felt like I could really rotate my hips faster and this helped me hit a fade. I felt like I could aggressively rotate my hips (clear my left hip) and still really fade the ball.

Is this just random tweak# 8,678 or has anyone else experienced this effect?  Has anyone else ever adjusted their stance width to manipulate ball flight?  I know some folks just flip their wrists over aggressively to hit a draw but that requires perfect timing---I don't like to use any aggressive hand manipulation. My arms and hands (on the downswing) are just along for the ride.

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Note: This thread is 4124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!