IGNORED

What part of the swing do you or did you find the hardest to learn.

Note: This thread is 4079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What part of the swing do you or did you find the hardest to learn.

• Take away
    • Wrist hinge
    • Top of the back swing
    • Droping into the slot
    • Impact
    • Follow through

Well, here's the thing. If the impact position is good the rest doesn't really matter.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by VegasRenegade

For me this time around so far it is the impact position. So many things that

Can go wrong.

For me, the hardest part was, and still is, proper set up and alignment. It's much easier for my setup to get out of whack than anything else. Problems in my swing are almost always a direct result of improper ball position, posture, etc.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by VegasRenegade

True but you  have to do something to reach impact with some club head speed.

I think his point was that if your impact position is correct, then everything else has to work. It's about like asking what the most important step in a recipe is getting a reply of "the way it tastes".

Tyler Martin

For me it was learning to do the takeaway by moving only my shoulders while keeping my head still and not swaying to the sides. It took me two years to teach my body to do it. Doing swings in front of a mirror and filming my swing helped a lot,

This has allowed me to stay on plane and make solid and consistent contact every time.

I think his point was that if your impact position is correct, then everything else has to work. It's about like asking what the most important step in a recipe is getting a reply of "the way it tastes".

Yes. That was my point, I didn't mean it to come off as snarky. I chose impact because everything else is working towards impact. Kinda hard to say,"I found follow through gave me a lot of trouble but getting into impact properly was a breeze"

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Quote:

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Yes. That was my point, I didn't mean it to come off as snarky. I chose impact because everything else is working towards impact. Kinda hard to say,"I found follow through gave me a lot of trouble but getting into impact properly was a breeze"

I knew what your were getting at I was just yanking your chain. That being said I find it quite simple to get a good impact position if I go super slow but at even half speed some part of it always falls apart. If the hip turn is good hands are late etc.

I knew what your were getting at I was just yanking your chain. That being said I find it quite simple to get a good impact position if I go super slow but at even half speed some part of it always falls apart. If the hip turn is good hands are late etc.

Sorry, took it as a given that we were talking about getting into a good impact position at "speed". Obviously it is fairly easy to 'place' yourself in a good position provided you know what a good impact position looks like. A lot of people still believe impact looks very much like A1 (address)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

For me it was follow through.  I struggled with a chicken wing and blocks for a long time.  Heck, sometimes I still do...

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

For me its the impact position, i my upper center is really bad at not falling back,

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

For me its the impact position, i my upper center is really bad at not falling back,

I have the same problem...my upper center goes forward with my hips, causing me to cast the club in an effort to make decent contact.

Colin P.

I need to think smooth, sweeping motion with the club in the takeaway, especially with long irons to driver, if i don't, i have a tendency to smother hook my shots. My "feel" move on the downswing (to keep from casting) is to drop my arms behind me.

For me, it's getting the swing into the slot.  Various people can have a different take away, grip, wrist hinge, position at the top, etc, however ALL good golfers regardless of the differences I mentioned drop the club beautifully into the slot WHICH results in the impact position that we all desire to consistently have.

When I was at a recent Tour event on the range, I saw a collection of different swings but man, do they ALL drop it into the slot and THAT is what I think is the hardest part of the swing to get right.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I don't have problems with any of the swing parts per se, but when I have tempo issues, any one or all of those swing parts can go awry. My worst problem is when the confidence meter is low, my transition from backswing to downswing is really quick or actually non-existent.

dak4n6

I couldn't agree with you more.  After toiling for 4 years on endless impact, wrist hinge, drop-it-in-the-slot, take away and follow-though drills with minimal results.  I finally realized that no matter how many drills I do if my biomechanical geometries (proper setup, posture, alignment, grip and ball position) aren't correct to begin with, I'll always have a helluva time hitting the ball consistently.  For me I needed to "stack" or keep inline my shoulder sockets with my knee caps with the balls of my feet.  Also, it's important that my arms are relaxed so that when I let my bottom hand (closest to club head) go it falls naturally perpendicular to the grip directly across from where I gripped it.  What did this mean for me?  It meant that I needed to move away from the ball with my irons and toward the ball with my driver.  I've also found that coordinating my aim line, eye line, ball position and swing path for the specific shot shape I want to produce is absolutely key to consistency.  In other words, if I want to hit a draw I need to aim my body, eyeline and clubface right of my target, place ball position farther back and swing out to the right even farther.  This way the geometry makes sense.  By aiming and swing out to "right field" you're clubface will come in more shallow and bottom out sooner so you need to play the ball back.  Even if you're doing you're best to move your weight forward the club is still going to bottom out sooner.  You can't expect to produce a consistent draw if you aim and swing right but play the ball forward.  You'll chunk it every time and no drill will fix that.  It's geometry and physics.  The problem I've found with trying to hit it straight is that you've absolutely got to nail your ball position or you'll end up going one way or the other.  I've found you can be off a bit with your ball position if you're deliberately trying to hit a draw of fade.  Why?  Because when you're hitting a draw or fade everything in your swing is focused on producing it whereas with a straight shot you've basically got to have a single plane.  Most people have a tendency to come too far inside (draw) or too far outside (fade) so you may be aimed straight, have perfect ball position, but if you're tendency gets in the way it could be hook or slice city.  Just my 2...well a lot more than 2 cents:)

None of the above.  For me, as silly stupid as this seems, I still have a hard time with having my weight/pressure on the front foot at impact.  Maybe I could check "impact", but the real problem always comes back to not getting my weight transferred.

Note: This thread is 4079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!