IGNORED

Baseball HOF Vote; Nobody Gets In.

dsc123
Note: This thread is 4113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I get the steroid stuff.  Not so much the bacne.

But Biggio? Come on!

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Biggio was a compiler, he was 3-4 good seasons and a number of marginal seasons.  .281 career batting average.363 career on base Percentage is not HOF material imo.  Only guy that should have got in imo was Piazza, but even his stats are on the edge.

Clemons, Bonds, Bagwell aren't going to make it because of Steroids.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Biggio was a compiler, he was 3-4 good seasons and a number of marginal seasons.  .281 career batting average.363 career on base Percentage is not HOF material imo.  Only guy that should have got in imo was Piazza, but even his stats are on the edge.

Totally agree regarding Piazza.  But there is that stupid "rule" that a lot of writers follow for some odd reason about not electing guys on their first ballot.

And WTF Jack Morris?  (Yeah, I know, his ERA is high)  So what?  He's awesome!  He should get in based on his WS performances alone!

Was Bagwell ever linked to steroids?  I don't remember.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I am probably biased because he went to my high school (which is close to you, so shouldn't you be biased too?).  But a lot of people say he is one of the top 10 all time 2b.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Totally agree regarding Piazza.  But there is that stupid "rule" that a lot of writers follow for some odd reason about not electing guys on their first ballot.

And WTF Jack Morris?  (Yeah, I know, his ERA is high)  So what?  He's awesome!  He should get in based on his WS performances alone!

Was Bagwell ever linked to steroids?  I don't remember.

I think Piazza might have trouble because he is suspected of juicing based on his bacne.   I think Bagwell is suspected.

Jack Morris is one of the most divisive guys out there, for whatever reason.  Some people say he was never a guy that was feared or that you worried about facing.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Originally Posted by dsc123

I think Piazza might have trouble because he is suspected of juicing based on his bacne.   I think Bagwell is suspected.

Jack Morris is one of the most divisive guys out there, for whatever reason.  Some people say he was never a guy that was feared or that you worried about facing.

Bagwell probably suspected on his size alone.  lol.

Well, some consolation to Cooperstown, there are a few people getting in this year, just no modern players.  EDIT:  these guys ...

Three people will be inducted into the Hall of Fame on July 28. In December a special panel that looks at people no longer eligible for the regular ballot voted in Jacob Ruppert, the New York Yankees owner who bought Babe Ruth in 1919; former umpire Hank O'Day; and Deacon White, a catcher in the 19th century.

Hey, Aaron Sele got one vote!

Baseball writers and their holier than thou attitude really screwed it up today in my "humble" opinion. Im not a baseball purist or whatever you wanna call it but Bonds and Clemons were both 1st Ballot HOF'ers before the juice. For them to get 30 something % of the vote is just dumb. When Mcgwire and Sosa had that season that basically saved baseball, everyone knew something was up. But Baseball stood by and reaped the benefits of renewed interest in the sport. But now we're gonna take a stand?

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Is it any surprise the Juicers didn't get in? It shouldn't be if Pete Rose isn't in. His transgressions had nothing to do with his playing performance yet he's not in there, so as long as that blatant omission isn't rectified, the Juicers (or even suspect Juicers) should never be in.

No question there's a ton of hypocrisy in baseball and among the press.  Baseball after the strike couldn't get people into the stands until McGwire, Sosa and Bonds went after the single season HR records.  No one questioned their size, strength or steroid use then.  The newspapers and Selig presented them as MLB's saviors and did so for years.  It was only when Bonds closed in on Babe Ruth's HR record did anyone make a stink about the record setting pace of HR's that were being hit.

If baseball hasn't changed the record books it's not up to the baseball writers to impart their own justice.  Bonds, McGwire, Sosa and Clemons all have HOF worthy numbers so unless Selig removes their stats and accomplishments from MLB history the writers should vote them in imo.

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Baseball writers and their holier than thou attitude really screwed it up today in my "humble" opinion. Im not a baseball purist or whatever you wanna call it but Bonds and Clemons were both 1st Ballot HOF'ers before the juice. For them to get 30 something % of the vote is just dumb. When Mcgwire and Sosa had that season that basically saved baseball, everyone knew something was up. But Baseball stood by and reaped the benefits of renewed interest in the sport. But now we're gonna take a stand?

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Yet Bud Selig will keep his job as long as he chooses to.

Sorry I forgot, he is not the commissioner, just the owners mouthpiece.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

A couple of points that may or may not shape the discussion.

• The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum is a museum operated by private interests, not Major League Baseball.  So MLB does not control eligibility criteria.  MLB banned Pete Rose for life, and the HOF then made a rule that nobody on the MLB Ban list is eligible.

• None of the juicers have been banned by MLB.

• Since the HOF controls induction (MLB can only directly influence via the ban list), whether or not MLB changed its official record books is not determinative of whether writers (or players) should vote for a player.  The HOF instructs writers as follows:

Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

So regardless of what MLB does, writers are required to consider the integrity, sportsmanship, and character of the players. Personally, I think its hard to argue that someone who injected themselves with illegal drugs to enhance their performance demonstrated integrity, sportsmanship, or character.

Keeping juicers out is not vigilantism by the voters.  It would be vigilantism to vote them in.  I think if you are for letting the juicers in, your point should be that the HOF needs to change the eligibility criteria, not that MLB or the writers need to act differently.

• Upvote 1

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Is it any surprise the Juicers didn't get in? It shouldn't be if Pete Rose isn't in. His transgressions had nothing to do with his playing performance yet he's not in there, so as long as that blatant omission isn't rectified, the Juicers (or even suspect Juicers) should never be in.

I would rather see Rose get in before any of the "juicers".

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Rose should never get in.  He violated the #1 rule, gambling.  It is cheating just as much as steroids.

Guys like Schilling should get in.  He definitely didn't juice with that belly.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Rose should never get in.  He violated the #1 rule, gambling.  It is cheating just as much as steroids.

Guys like Schilling should get in.  He definitely didn't juice with that belly.

Schilling barely won 200 games. His claim to fame is a fake bloody sock. Not even close to a HOFer.

• Upvote 1

Follow me on twitter

Originally Posted by boogielicious

He didn't 'cheat' 4,256 hits.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

He didn't 'cheat' 4,256 hits.

There is definitely a strong case for Rose to get in as a player, just as Joe Torre belongs in as a manager - both had 2 separate careers and excelled in one of them.

Follow me on twitter

There is definitely a strong case for Rose to get in as a player, just as Joe Torre belongs in as a manager - both had 2 separate careers and excelled in one of them.

didnt torre win an mvp award? and there is no case for rose. he is barred by the rules.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

To my knowledge neither Bonds or Clemons were found guilty by a court of law to have used steroids nor has either ever failed a drug test.  Do I think they used steroids, yes of course, but the justice system in our country is innocent until PROVEN guilty.

On that basis I believe the juicers that did not fail a drug test or have evidence presented in court that proved they used steroids should be given the benefit of the doubt by those voting and their entry into the HOF should be based on their contributions to the game and their stats.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!