IGNORED

2013 Sony Open at Waialae Country Club Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Waialae Country Club, site of this week's Sony Open in Hawaii, isn't all palm trees and ocean-side swimming pools. Spectators and television viewers may see paradise, but make no mistake, the first full-field event of 2013 sets up for grinders.  Hope the weather is better than last week.  Want to make sure I started this thread or Golfingdad will get mad at me

Power Rankings from http://www.pgatour.com

Rank Player Comment
Tim Clark Perfect track for a sharpshooter off the tee. Recovery from elbow surgery precluded his appearance last year. Co-runner-up in 2011 when he led the field in both proximity to the hole and scrambling. Also co-led in greens in regulation.
Carl Pettersson In eight starts, he's alternated top 25s with missed cuts. Last year's personal-best T2 set the stage for a huge year that he polished off with four consecutive top 20s. Ranked T3 at Waialae in 2010 in greens in regulation and T5 in bogey avoidance.
Charles Howell III Sits third in all-time earnings at this event but has yet to win. He's made the cut in all 11 starts, six of which have resulted in a top five, including last year's co-runner-up. Climbed out of a slump late in 2012 to post three top 15s.
Dustin Johnson Making his third appearance. Tied for 10th in 2008 and logged a T16 in 2010. He's already crafted a reputation as one of the best wind players in the game. Also validated at TPC Southwind last year that he can harness his length on short tracks.
Brendon de Jonge First start anywhere since capping off a torrid Fall Series and trip to Malaysia. Tied for 10th at Waialae last year. Carded a field-low bogey-free 62 in the second round. Ranked sixth in par breakers (19). Finished eighth on TOUR in GIR in 2012.
Matt Every In his debut at Waialae last year, held the outright lead at the midpoint and shared it after 54 holes. Went on to tie for sixth place, ranking T17 in greens hit and T4 in par breakers. Led the PGA TOUR in birdies or better on par 4s in 2012.
David Hearn His tee-to-green proficiency is a superb fit for Waialae. He proved it en route to a T10 last year, ranking T7 in fairways hit, T17 in greens and sixth in proximity. He also led the field in strokes gained-putting and would close out the year ranked 44th overall.
Matt Kuchar Returns after a one-year hiatus since finishing T5 in 2011. Despite his size, he's more ball-striker than masher. His flat swing also works well in the wind. His short game and putting stand among the best on the PGA TOUR.
Graham DeLaet In both previous appearances (2010, 2012), he's posted 5-under 275 to secure a pair of top 30s. Held the 18-hole lead last year following a 63. Played the par 5s in 9-under with an eagle and seven birdies. Ranked third in proximity to the hole.
Billy Horschel Hasn't played Waialae since missing the cut in his debut in 2010, but the q-school grad is ripe to parlay a strong finish last year into early success this season. Ranked eighth in 2012 in ball-striking, including 21st in fairways hit and 11th in GIR.
Zach Johnson The 2009 champion has scored under par in only four of 10 rounds since his title, including a bogey-free 65 in the second round last year, but he's coming off one of his best seasons. Ranked 14th in fairways hit and sixth in strokes gained-putting.
Keegan Bradley As the TOUR's leader in the all-around ranking in 2012, he can't be dismissed anywhere especially as he gathers experience at host venues. En route to last year's T13, tied for third in greens hit (55) but only T33 in par breakers (15).
Scott Piercy Tied for 23rd a year ago at Waialae. Also tied for second that week in par breakers (21) and 10th in strokes gained-putting. Played holes 12-18 in bogey-free 13-under; added an eagle and two birdies on the par-5 ninth. Also finished T12 here in 2009.
Webb Simpson Teeing it up for the fifth consecutive year at Waialae. He's the last rookie to post a top 10 at this event (T9, 2009), which is also his only top 35 here, but he ranked 34th on TOUR last year in greens hit and second in par breakers.
Davis Love III Owns the course record -- a 60 in 1994 -- and has registered seven top 10 in 13 starts, including most recently a T5 in 2010 and a T9 in 2011. Now free of Ryder Cup duties, the 48-year-old can focus on tasks inside the ropes. Three top 10s in 2012.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like this courses layout, look forward to seeing how the players are of the tee.  I think we may see a lot of 3 Woods.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Lol mike! I wasn't gonna get mad at you ... Everybody else was gonna get mad at me if I started it and it got rained out again! :) Best group tomorrow: Zach Johnson Dustin Johnson Wagner, Johnson Ha!

Originally Posted by Acooper1983

I like dustin johnson in this simply due to him having rediculous confidence coming off the hyundai.  He'll probably be hitting a lot of 3i off the tee haha.

I honestly don't know, but I think DJ will have a tough go after difficult tournament conditions last week, and a very short week as well.  I'd almost be more inclined to go with someone who didn't compete at the ToC if I was to try and make a pick.  With golf, I just don't bother.... too many variables, and too much parity in most fields.  I just watch it occasionally and enjoy the play when I do.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I honestly don't know, but I think DJ will have a tough go after difficult tournament conditions last week, and a very short week as well.  I'd almost be more inclined to go with someone who didn't compete at the ToC if I was to try and make a pick.  With golf, I just don't bother.... too many variables, and too much parity in most fields.  I just watch it occasionally and enjoy the play when I do.

Booo! ... where's the fun in that?  ;)

I'm going with Patrick Reed!  They profiled him last night on "On The Range" and I think he's technically a rookie, but he Monday qualified some record amount of times last season, made a bunch of cuts, and made over 300k.  Talk about a grinder!

(Oh, and his wife is caddying for him and more TV time for her would not be a bad thing)

Weather is dependent on which side of the island.  Last week at the Hyundai it was blowing like stink at Kapalua, but much more calm on the north side.  Kapalua is on the northwest side of Maui and Waialae is on the southeast side of Oahu.  Still, I would love to see wind.  Makes it fun to watch.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I really like Zach Johnson as a winner this week. I think he is proven on the track and his game suits the course. Keegan Bradley can play well here as well. Obviously a lot will like Dustin off of last week but I do not like him to go back-to-back. I broke it down here http://sportsunbiased.com/2013/01/pga-tour-2013-sony-open-winner-is-zach-johnson/ if anyone wants to go check it out and let me know what you think.

Originally Posted by MiseryBusiness

KJ with a bad break on the 17th. His ball lands on Webb Simpsons' ball on the fly, and it ricochets into a bunker. Expect that to make the highlight reel :p

Weird ... I watched it happen on TV as I was reading this.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

He took it well and parred the hole anyway.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by MiseryBusiness

KJ with a bad break on the 17th. His ball lands on Webb Simpsons' ball on the fly, and it ricochets into a bunker. Expect that to make the highlight reel :p

Yeah, a true "rub of the green" (and the correct usage of the phrase).  I know guys who would have had a tantrum over a bad break like that.  Choi just went about his business.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by pottsshotscp

Is it a done deal that one of them is going to win this thing tomorrow?

Sure ... no one ever chokes on a Sunday.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Congrats to Henley, but also to Tim Clark...back from injuries finishing with a 63 as well.

Great golf.

Incredibly entertaining as well.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Note: This thread is 4090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!