IGNORED

Best way to dial in distances

onephenom
Note: This thread is 4094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

how do you "dial in your distance"?

Everytime I see something write their distances I don't understand how they got it down to 7i = 175, no about. like it's exactly that distance. How can i get this exact number (and by exact I mean a standard full length swing and my normal tempo) without buying a 400 dollar bushnell? The distance markers at the courses around here are not very consistently marked from hole to hole.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

You're a 4 hcp and don't know how far you hit each club......?

I think when asked, most people will tend to round (up )  to the closest 5 yard increment they feel matches their average shot under average conditions.  For most that comes from having hit a bunch of shots from known distances and observing the results.  Whether that known distance comes from a rangefinder of some sort, from markings on the course, or pacing, makes no difference. A lot of us grew up in the game with nothing more than an occasional 150 marker or a couple of sprinkler heads painted with someones paced off yardage to the center of the green.  Hit a lot of shots, see where they go, and be honest with yourself as to how well that shot compares to your "average" in terms of quality of strike.  That's all there is to it......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think in general when people post things like 7i = 175, that is just an estimation.  I know for me, I would say something like that, 7i = 180.  That's just pretty much my average, and what I aim for.  I can swing harder, and do by accident on occasion, and I can miss-hit it and hit it shorter.  I don't hit it EXACTLY 180 every time, but if the center of the green is 180 yards out, I'm hitting my 7 iron because it goes approximately that far.

Also, do you go to Purdue?

srixon.png.c29104d99ab6ca6ecb927e9dd97b26f1.png    Z785 Driver 10.5° Tour AD BB 7x    |    F65 4W Tour AD TP 7x    |    Z765 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 AMT    |     Z-Star Ball

TM.png.36c3c24d72a4ac809b0def631452f3ba.png    M3 4H HZRDUS Black    |    Spider Tour Putter

titleist.png.c92d01bf6404c1675a5e518a7447f2c6.png  Vokey SM7 50° 55° 60° Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue Black

Originally Posted by Unforgiven93

I think in general when people post things like 7i = 175, that is just an estimation.  I know for me, I would say something like that, 7i = 180.  That's just pretty much my average, and what I aim for.  I can swing harder, and do by accident on occasion, and I can miss-hit it and hit it shorter.  I don't hit it EXACTLY 180 every time, but if the center of the green is 180 yards out, I'm hitting my 7 iron because it goes approximately that far.

Also, do you go to Purdue?

I did, I dropped out this past semester because of $$ reasons. But hey, maybe I can fine tune my game enough to get a golf scholarship... :)

Originally Posted by David in FL

You're a 4 hcp and don't know how far you hit each club......?

I think when asked, most people will tend to round (up )  to the closest 5 yard increment they feel matches their average shot under average conditions.  For most that comes from having hit a bunch of shots from known distances and observing the results.  Whether that known distance comes from a rangefinder of some sort, from markings on the course, or pacing, makes no difference. A lot of us grew up in the game with nothing more than an occasional 150 marker or a couple of sprinkler heads painted with someones paced off yardage to the center of the green.  Hit a lot of shots, see where they go, and be honest with yourself as to how well that shot compares to your "average" in terms of quality of strike.  That's all there is to it......

Good putter. I hit my 7i 177-183, i guess it's just pedantic, I take things very literally because I'm a perfectionist. I guess that's part of what separates me from the pros, I hit my 180 clubs give or take a few yards, they hit their 180 club give or take a few feet. Lot easier birdie putt!

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

Oh I see, I go to Purdue, small world. It's insanely difficult to get on the golf team, just so you know. I averaged 74.2 in this past summer in tourneys, won a couple decently sized junior tournaments, and came top 10 in big events like the Indiana Junior PGA championship, and I didn't even get a second glance from the coach. I wasn't asking for a scholarship either, I just wanted to keep playing. The biggest golf scholarships they give are 50% tuition, so like $5000 a year, and very few actually get that. If you notice, my picture is me at the Purdue driving range :-)

srixon.png.c29104d99ab6ca6ecb927e9dd97b26f1.png    Z785 Driver 10.5° Tour AD BB 7x    |    F65 4W Tour AD TP 7x    |    Z765 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 AMT    |     Z-Star Ball

TM.png.36c3c24d72a4ac809b0def631452f3ba.png    M3 4H HZRDUS Black    |    Spider Tour Putter

titleist.png.c92d01bf6404c1675a5e518a7447f2c6.png  Vokey SM7 50° 55° 60° Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue Black

Originally Posted by Unforgiven93

Oh I see, I go to Purdue, small world. It's insanely difficult to get on the golf team, just so you know. I averaged 74.2 in this past summer in tourneys, won a couple decently sized junior tournaments, and came top 10 in big events like the Indiana Junior PGA championship, and I didn't even get a second glance from the coach. I wasn't asking for a scholarship either, I just wanted to keep playing. The biggest golf scholarships they give are 50% tuition, so like $5000 a year, and very few actually get that.

If you notice, my picture is me at the Purdue driving range

that explains why we have a non competitive team, no scholarships! still hard to get on though. I was mostly kidding but was still going to try.

If you notice, one of my pics is from ackerman, the 8th i think, eagle putt!

Like what David said, just going out and hitting ball after ball and becoming more familiar and confident with your swing will develop distance consistency.  I feel confident enough now that I know I can take a few yards off or add a few yards if I think I need it.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

that explains why we have a non competitive team, no scholarships! still hard to get on though. I was mostly kidding but was still going to try.  If you notice, one of my pics is from ackerman, the 8th i think, eagle putt!

WAY off the original topic, but I am a Purdue grad and play at the Elks most often. Compared to you guys, I am a short knocker (7i - 150ish). We should play a friendly round this summer. You good holders can give me a bunch of strokes :)

Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r

WAY off the original topic, but I am a Purdue grad and play at the Elks most often. Compared to you guys, I am a short knocker (7i - 150ish). We should play a friendly round this summer. You good holders can give me a bunch of strokes :)

wholeheartedly agree!

I'm kind of a numbers guy, but saying my 7i is 160 is a complete guess. I bet I hit it anywhere from 145-170 depending on conditions. My rule of thumb is if I am just behind the 150 pole, I hit the 7. If I am right beside it or in front, I hit an 8. I don't use a GPS but pretty much always hit pin high or just short, even if I miss the GIR. I think in my life I have only hit too much club on 2 occasions over the green. In my experience estimating you hit longer than you really do is generally a safer play as long as it is a reasonable lie, and I mean lie as in fib.

Originally Posted by onephenom

wholeheartedly agree!

I'm in!  haha

In his book The Elements of Scoring Raymond Floyd says that the #1 mistake amateurs make that pros don't is underclubbing.  Personally I think it is because our distances have a much wider variance than the distances of a pro and we optimistically assume (hope?) we will hit it the distance at the top of the range.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

That is awesome that you mention that because I just had that book delivered to my house (love amazon) and I'm going to start reading it tomorrow. That sounds like what a lot of people do

Originally Posted by onephenom

That is awesome that you mention that because I just had that book delivered to my house (love amazon) and I'm going to start reading it tomorrow. That sounds like what a lot of people do

It is a great read.  You will find a thread about it over in the Reading Room forum, if you haven't already found and read it.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

How?

I get out to a course around dusk with no one around, put down about 10 gamer balls starting with Gap Wedge, hit 10, get the distance, and move back 15 yards, do it again with the PW, do it again with the 9i, etc. It takes several rounds to get the averages.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by turtleback

In his book The Elements of Scoring Raymond Floyd says that the #1 mistake amateurs make that pros don't is underclubbing.  Personally I think it is because our distances have a much wider variance than the distances of a pro and we optimistically assume (hope?) we will hit it the distance at the top of the range.

I'd agree with that considering most amateurs that are guilty of this aren't hitting the sweetspot on all their shots. The ones that do hit the sweetspot but underclub, let their ego get in the way.

For Pros, I assume they don't do this because their livelyhood is on the line. They could care less whether or not  they use a 8 iron when Tiger/Rory just hit the green with a PW.

• Upvote 1

Learn how to pace off yardages,

Get a tape measure, 50' is a good one, get some chalk, mark zero and 50'. Now what you do is, walk the distance with a good even step, try to keep say distance each step. Once you get use to this its pretty normal. Take that 50' and divide by the number of steps you taken. So lets say your pace is 2.5' per step, ok that means ever 2 steps is 5', ever 12 steps is 30', so every 12 steps is 10 yards. So you hit an iron shot, walk off the distance and do the math. For me, i learned to take a large step that is 3' per step, and i've come close to 50 yards, i think i taken average 49 steps per 50 yards, that's pretty good. So, i can easily pace off yardages. I know, we don't trust the yardage markers. I've googled mapped the yardage markers on the courses i play, there pretty good, so i don't know were people get all out of shape about it. If you have trouble, google map the back of the tee boxes, and other land markers, and just create a small note book, then you can pace of distances better.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Learn how to pace off yardages,

Get a tape measure, 50' is a good one, get some chalk, mark zero and 50'. Now what you do is, walk the distance with a good even step, try to keep say distance each step. Once you get use to this its pretty normal. Take that 50' and divide by the number of steps you taken. So lets say your pace is 2.5' per step, ok that means ever 2 steps is 5', ever 12 steps is 30', so every 12 steps is 10 yards. So you hit an iron shot, walk off the distance and do the math. For me, i learned to take a large step that is 3' per step, and i've come close to 50 yards, i think i taken average 49 steps per 50 yards, that's pretty good. So, i can easily pace off yardages. I know, we don't trust the yardage markers. I've googled mapped the yardage markers on the courses i play, there pretty good, so i don't know were people get all out of shape about it. If you have trouble, google map the back of the tee boxes, and other land markers, and just create a small note book, then you can pace of distances better.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

How?

I get out to a course around dusk with no one around, put down about 10 gamer balls starting with Gap Wedge, hit 10, get the distance, and move back 15 yards, do it again with the PW, do it again with the 9i, etc. It takes several rounds to get the averages.

i just think there are too many factors that are common (uphill, downhill, sideways lie, hitting in rough, etc.) that contribute to shots not going near an average distance that you achieve in these practice scenarios.

though like i said, i'm a guy that finds a marker and says "oh that's about a 6i" and go from there.  i'm pretty good at it, but there are a bunch of guys that would just go home if they didn't have their scope GPS...

Note: This thread is 4094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!