IGNORED

Stage 2's?

Note: This thread is 4121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been reading up on the new Taylor Made Stage 2's coming out specifically the 3 wood & hybrids.  I dont doubt they've figured out a way to gain additional yds however I find my RB's hybrids Tour clubs I bought last summer not all that "easy" to hit.  I almost am thinking of going back to a Callaway.  Has anyone else found this?  I think they said the new Stage 2's are going to be easier off the fairways than the RB's now?  Maybe I should demo the regulars and not the Tour versions?  Just curious.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/63555/new-pics-added-taylormades-2013-line-r1-driver-rocketballz-stage-2-driver-fairway-and-tour-rescue

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah thanks I saw that.  I guess I have to wait until Feb to just demo these new clubs to see what the ball does.  Its actually pretty funny the things sport manufacturers do every year to try to sell their products.  Whether its golf, skiing, tennis.  Amazing...

Originally Posted by mtnbiker5

I've been reading up on the new Taylor Made Stage 2's coming out specifically the 3 wood & hybrids.  I dont doubt they've figured out a way to gain additional yds however I find my RB's hybrids Tour clubs I bought last summer not all that "easy" to hit.  I almost am thinking of going back to a Callaway.  Has anyone else found this?  I think they said the new Stage 2's are going to be easier off the fairways than the RB's now?  Maybe I should demo the regulars and not the Tour versions?  Just curious.

The non-tour versions are easier and more forgiving - I'm also using a RBZ 25 Hybrid that gets me 4i distance. I had a clubmaker also install an aftermarket shaft that is shorter in length - that makes the club easier for contact and consistency. I didn't want to keep buying clubs - I wanted clubs that fit me and I would use for 4-5 years or more.

The new RBZ fairways look a lot easier from the fairway with the shallower face. Still, the longer shaft length is concerning - I like my longest fairway at 42.5 inches.

Although if you want a good deal on something long - the R11 Titanium fairways are still out there and available at a deal - you get high COR and a long heel to toe, shallow face, and big club head.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I'll check that out.  I knew there was something up.  When I bought these clubs, I think it was back in July, the guy was telling me the Tour versions were easier to hit off the fairways.  After a couple of rounds with them I wasnt hitting them as solid as my old Callaway 3 wood and hybrid.  Yes, WHEN you hit these clubs the ball does appear to at least roll farther but the consistancy at least for me wasnt as good with the Callaways I had.  I'm not giving up on these.  Definately going to check out the new Stage 2's in Feb when they hit the shelves.  Worst case I just trade in my RBZ from last season and just go with the regular Stage 2's over the Tour versions.  I had a couple of friends hit these as well and everyone said the same thing.  Not the easiest to hit off the fairways and the 3 wood has a wicked draw.

I recently demoed the RBZ 3 wood (non-tour) and a Callaway Razr fit fairway and for fun I grabbed an R11s and I ended up buying the R11s. It was easier to hit and had more control than the RBZ. The Callaway was a great club as well but the R11s was $40.00 cheaper which appealed to my frugal side.

...  I dont doubt they've figured out a way to gain additional yds however I find my RB's hybrids Tour clubs I bought last summer not all that "easy" to hit.  ...

...  Maybe I should demo the regulars and not the Tour versions?  Just curious.

...  Worst case I just trade in my RBZ from last season and just go with the regular Stage 2's over the Tour versions.  I had a couple of friends hit these as well and everyone said the same thing.  Not the easiest to hit off the fairways and the 3 wood has a wicked draw.

I got fitted this past summer for a RBZ 3W.HL (really a 4W), a 7W and a 4H. Then, some swing tweaks boosted my driver and iron shots, but the RBZ family turned into hook machines.

I had the RBZ regripped this fall, going from standard to midsize (a bit larger), and this seems to have tamed the hooks somewhat. Also, note that regular RBZ FWs have a light 45 gr. shaft. As a 10 HDCP, you might overpower this shaft (more hooks for a new reason).

For a stopgap, you might try gripping down an inch or so on shots off the fairway to get more control. Or, you might try Mr. Desmond's advice and get shaft shortened, maybe a new shaft.

Also, check out this Second Swing review of shaft flex on RBZ woods and hybrids. Points out some design issues that would be nice to know before buying RBZ:

http://thesandtrap.com/a/rocketballz-shaft-flex-a-case-study

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Not the easiest to hit off the fairways and the 3 wood has a wicked draw.

Wicked draw - TM does not put the greatest shafts in these clubs - shaft may be too long and therefore, soft - one could cut from the butt to slightly stiffen as long as swingweight is left alone; or the shaft may be a bad fit.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

You guys are dead on with this.  Nice.  To say I was pulling the ball is an understatement.  I never pulled my shots with my old Callaways.  End of last season it got to the point where if I were around 215/220 away from the green, grabbed the hybrid to land on in 2, I was nervous.  I think some serious re evaluation needs to be done on these clubs.  I'm not disputing the extra distance when you really hit the ball square but the whole issue with pulling, ease off fairway, I'm not sold anymore.  I would happy going back to Callaway or even just get a Ping/Adams/Titleist hybrid/3 wood and stick it on the green in 2 any time.  I dont need this aggrevation.  Golf can be hard enough.   Ahhhhhhhh!

Notice how the TM website says the RBZ 2.0 woods are 10 yards longer than the original RBZ 3 wood?

I couldn't believe it, so i did some digging and found that TM tested the new RBZ 2.0 at 150MPH ball speed with the 3 wood. Most people cant even generate that kind of ball speed with a pured drive! Therefor, only players with tour caliber swing speed will see a increase of distance with the 3 wood. That also explains why the majority of people dint see the 15+ yards increase of distance over their current 3 wood. That kind of disappointed me, i really thought that since the RBZ line is for us mortals that play the game, that they would of used swing speeds that mid caps can generate, not Dustin Johnsons swing speed...

Also, I picked up distance with last years RBZ 3 wood (old 3 wood 226 carry vs rbz 238 carry off the deck). My old club was a 08 burner 3 wood. I going to head right to the golf shop when the new line of RBZ 2.0 hit the shelf's to compare the RBZ vs RBZ 2.0. I have a sinking suspicion that i wont pick up any distance. Lame

Pardon my vent...

I think Shooter's points are accurate.  I have a good friend who works at Golf Galaxy.  Once these hit the shelves I'm gonna pick these apart with Trackman.  As I mentioned earlier, I get it, the manufacturers need to do everything they can every year to move product.  I'm not saying these clubs don't "work," I'm just saying I really want to sink my teeth into these this year and just compare apples to apples.  Something doesnt smell right...

Note: This thread is 4121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!