IGNORED

Distance separation between clubs...

matluther
Note: This thread is 3295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I live in the northeastern part of the country, so cold weather hangs around here for a while. However, the weather has been relatively nice lately, so I hit the course and played a rather decent round given how often I play (or don't play) this time of the year. My club played true to their distances this time of the year.

I went to the range today (a rather foggy day), and my club distances were very inconsistent despite what seems like clean hits. The alarming part was the lack of separation between my 7 and 8 irons. Regardless of ball trajectory, the distances were just consistently short and identical between those clubs

PW: ~120

8I: ~130 Typically 150+

7i ~ 135  (Between 160 and 170)

6i ~ 155 (typically 175+)

Any insights

Originally Posted by matluther

I live in the northeastern part of the country, so cold weather hangs around here for a while. However, the weather has been relatively nice lately, so I hit the course and played a rather decent round given how often I play (or don't play) this time of the year. My club played true to their distances this time of the year.

I went to the range today (a rather foggy day), and my club distances were very inconsistent despite what seems like clean hits. The alarming part was the lack of separation between my 7 and 8 irons. Regardless of ball trajectory, the distances were just consistently short and identical between those clubs

PW: ~120

8I: ~130 Typically 150+

7i ~ 135  (Between 160 and 170)

6i ~ 155 (typically 175+)

Any insights

I wouldn't worry about it. It's January 12th. I played in the Philly area today and the ball just wasn't carrying like in-season. I just took an extra club everywhere and it worked out fine.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phan52

I wouldn't worry about it. It's January 12th. I played in the Philly area today and the ball just wasn't carrying like in-season. I just took an extra club everywhere and it worked out fine.

It was just weird that I played on Monday and my numbers were accurate, but today's numbers were just off like crazy. Placement accuracy was consistently good. I wanna think fog had a lot to do with it, but I have no proof to back that up

P.S. I was thinking if playing either Raven's Claw or Club at Shannondell when next I end up around that area. I enjoyed my previous experiences at those courses

Originally Posted by matluther

It was just weird that I played on Monday and my numbers were accurate, but today's numbers were just off like crazy. Placement accuracy was consistently good. I wanna think fog had a lot to do with it, but I have no proof to back that up

P.S. I was thinking if playing either Raven's Claw or Club at Shannondell when next I end up around that area. I enjoyed my previous experiences at those courses

I was consistently 10 yards short with just about every club. It was damp and foggy so that could be the reason why. I don't hit the ball as far as you, so the conditions may not affect my ball as much either.

Never played Shannondell. I played Raven's Claw last winter and was impressed with the condition for that time of year. Nice track.

Bill M

I was consistently 10 yards short with just about every club. It was damp and foggy so that could be the reason why. I don't hit the ball as far as you, so the conditions may not affect my ball as much either.

Never played Shannondell. I played Raven's Claw last winter and was impressed with the condition for that time of year. Nice track.

Raven's Claw seems to have a good maintenance crew

I just think the cold weather is prohibiting your ball from carrying.  I know the temps have been warmer but it's still not June weather.  I have been taking one more club all winter and find it to be pretty accurate.

Taylormade 425 R7 Driver- Tour stiff Cobra AMP 3 wood- Stiff Titleist 704 CB irons 2-PW Cleveland 588 wedges- 56 and 60 Ping Pick Em Up- belly putter Taylormade Penta 5 balls

I play in cold weather all winter temps ranging from 28* to 45* and usually lose about one to two clubs in distance depending on how cold and if there is for or wind.  The other problem you faced is you are hitting range balls that more than likely have been kept out in the low temperatures all the time. I would not worry about the lack distance on very cold days at the range that is just normal.  The main thing with playing or hitting balls in the extreme cold is just worry about making good contact and keeping a nice temp. Distance is just a crap shoot in those conditions.  One more thing unless you are hitting in a heated bay you are probably dressed warm and that will curtail you swing as well as you will not be as flexible.

Originally Posted by shanksalot

I play in cold weather all winter temps ranging from 28* to 45* and usually lose about one to two clubs in distance depending on how cold and if there is for or wind.  The other problem you faced is you are hitting range balls that more than likely have been kept out in the low temperatures all the time. I would not worry about the lack distance on very cold days at the range that is just normal.  The main thing with playing or hitting balls in the extreme cold is just worry about making good contact and keeping a nice temp. Distance is just a crap shoot in those conditions.  One more thing unless you are hitting in a heated bay you are probably dressed warm and that will curtail you swing as well as you will not be as flexible.

Excellent points. I considered them all as well. All seems to be well again, I went out for a round today (Bad day with the putter, great day with the driver) and my distances were decent. Seeing as I make little changes to my swing every now and then, I was just afraid I've done ANOTHER damage to my game.

Played again yesterday and it was colder and damper and I lost a little more distance. There were some holes where I know I hit it more solid than the day before and it still fell short. Winter conditions are ridiculously unpredictable.

Bill M

I get the temp cold weather thing on my clubs and account for it but I am just beginning to realize t it seems to creep into your carry a lot more as you get to longer irons. So the ten yard per club concept gets out of wack for my 19degree hybred and three wood and 4 iron. Since I don't have flat driving range, I can't dial it in, but the way I figure out my other clubs is to use balls I find on the golf course for the driving range. When I have 20 or so I use them to check distance.  Since I am not counting on hitting more than an occasional shot that hits a green with the long clubs, I'm not looking for a  scientific distance, just a good guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Look at weather from where I live, and we can have it in the 10s one day and then 50s the next.  When we are below 40 i play 1.5 clubs and swing easy and smooth and then 1 club below 50.  cold air doesn't let the ball fly as far, the ball is cold and harder to compress ( try to keep them warm), your swing is shorter ( more clothes, colder and not loose), and last if the ground thaws just a little bit, the ball will hit and almost plug so no role.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

I currently have a gap issue - but it is with my 3W and 5Hy.  Off the deck, I hit my 3W about 235yds - unfortunately I can't control it at the moment so it could go 50yds left or 50yds right.  Then my 3Hy - I took out of the bag because I snap hook it pretty much ever time I hit it.  So that leaves me with my 5Hy which I love - and can hit 200yds reliably.  With a nice push draw ball flight.  The problem is that between my 3W, which is shotty dispersion at 235 and my 200 5Hy... I'm really in between clubs and stuck.  This is killing me with short Par 5's as I can hit my driver anywhere from 250 (poor drive) to 280 (solid drive) to 300 (bombed).  But can't take advantage of the distance off the tee.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I currently have a gap issue - but it is with my 3W and 5Hy.  Off the deck, I hit my 3W about 235yds - unfortunately I can't control it at the moment so it could go 50yds left or 50yds right.  Then my 3Hy - I took out of the bag because I snap hook it pretty much ever time I hit it.  So that leaves me with my 5Hy which I love - and can hit 200yds reliably.  With a nice push draw ball flight.  The problem is that between my 3W, which is shotty dispersion at 235 and my 200 5Hy... I'm really in between clubs and stuck.  This is killing me with short Par 5's as I can hit my driver anywhere from 250 (poor drive) to 280 (solid drive) to 300 (bombed).  But can't take advantage of the distance off the tee.

Have you considered a 5 wood?

I actually have a somewhat similar problem.  My 3 wood is 235-240 off the deck, and my 3 hybrid is 215-220.  But I don't hit either of them terribly well at the moment so unless it's wide open with no trouble, I'm just usually pulling my 4 iron and hitting it as far as I can (210-215 if I'm lucky) or laying back.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Have you considered a 5 wood?

I actually have a somewhat similar problem.  My 3 wood is 235-240 off the deck, and my 3 hybrid is 215-220.  But I don't hit either of them terribly well at the moment so unless it's wide open with no trouble, I'm just usually pulling my 4 iron and hitting it as far as I can (210-215 if I'm lucky) or laying back.

Yeah - my 5Hy is my money club - so I pretty much go to it if there is any trouble on a Par 5 where I have anything over 200 in.  And no, I haven't looked into a 5W.  But that is something I need to consider.  I need to find something because it is frustrating not having a club I can reliably depend on from 205+.  I need something that I can get up in the air reliably like that 5Hy.

New here,

but i went to the range today for the first time in two weeks and was hitting off an artificial surface, which i hate now.  but my 9,8,7 irons were all landing at exactly 110.  now im very new to the sport but i know there is supposed to be a difference ha. but how far am i looking at normally between irons?  and any particular reason that they would all end up in the same spot?

playing with a Walter Hagen XLR beginner set.

New here, but i went to the range today for the first time in two weeks and was hitting off an artificial surface, which i hate now.  but my 9,8,7 irons were all landing at exactly 110.  now im very new to the sport but i know there is supposed to be a difference ha. but how far am i looking at normally between irons?  and any particular reason that they would all end up in the same spot? playing with a Walter Hagen XLR beginner set.

I think 10 to 12 yards between irons is optimal. I would also guess the reason your irons are flying the same distance is because you are not strikimg them clean. You are probably hitting them "fat", hitting the mat first and then the ball.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 3295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!