IGNORED

Shortening Iron Shafts

dsc123
Note: This thread is 4059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went to a fitting at a local shop with the intention of figuring out what models and specs fit me, then buying a used set online.  I found a set that's almost exactly what I was fit for.  The only difference is that the clubs are an inch long and the lie angle is off by .75* (they're pings and I was fitted for green dot, found yellow dot).  Its about $200 less than new, and I can probably trade in my current clubs for $130 or so.

I'm thinking about buying them, and sending them into PING to have them cut and bent.  But I think I have read on here that shortening shafts can increase the stiffness and the balance of the club.  Is an inch small enough that it wouldn't make any difference?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You will be charged for shipping, new grips, cutting shafts, and lie adjustment. Seems to me this will add up to close to the $200 you would be saving over new. Custom fitting and length should be free if you buy brand new Pings. I have heard some fast delivery times for special orders on new irons so will likely get the brand new set in your hands a bit sooner and be certain of the shaft flex, swing weight and club head integrity.

You could have your local golf shop fit you, and order you irons from the factory to your specs. The shop hopefully will do a loft and lie check when they arrive to make sure they're in spec .

Unless you get upcharge shafts or grips, this set shouldn't cost any more than new off-the-rack.

And, your custom fit set would probably cost the same as the {used set + tweaking costs}.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I'm looking for a set of i20's with KBS Stiff shafts about a 1/4 inch short of Pings standard.  I got fitted at golftec, and if I go new, I'll just order through them.  They told me it will cost $863 plus tax and shipping.  I've got to guess that will be about $930-950 when all is said and done.

My goal was to get fit and then buy a set online, thinking that this would save me money.  The set I described is listed at $650, plus $15 shipping (but no tax).  I imagine that will cost about $80-100, getting me home in $730-750, compared to $950.

I was hoping to get home for about $500, but that looks too optimistic.  At the same time, I don't want to settle for something that is close but not exactly the right fit.  So the chances of me finding something with the shafts I want, and lie and length I want are slim.

Also, this might sound ridiculous, but buying online via my private paypal account would allow me to tell SWMBO that I only spent $300.  Most brick and mortar stores don't accept paypay.

Anyway, say I find a set that's an inch long, will cutting them down effect the performance of the shaft?  Trying to figure out whether this is even really an option.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Damn it.  All I can think about now is getting new clubs.  I am probably going to pull the trigger just so I stop wasting time looking for deals online and thinking about getting them.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Think of it this way. Spending $950 for the custom fit clubs is a better value than spending $750 to get clubs online - clubs you haven't seen - and go through a realignment process.

The $200 difference in the short run will save you in the long run if you get clubs that fit you and that you really like, and will serve you for several seasons. If you use them for four years, that's about $50 a year -  the cost of a round of golf.

You're on the verge of being a single-digit HDCP player. Go ahead and get the tools that fit you; you'll regret it if you don't, and end up retooling in two years.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Think of it this way. Spending $950 for the custom fit clubs is a better value than spending $750 to get clubs online - clubs you haven't seen - and go through a realignment process.

The $200 difference in the short run will save you in the long run if you get clubs that fit you and that you really like, and will serve you for several seasons. If you use them for four years, that's about $50 a year -  the cost of a round of golf.

You're on the verge of being a single-digit HDCP player. Go ahead and get the tools that fit you; you'll regret it if you don't, and end up retooling in two years.

That's the problem--that IS how I'm thinking about it, rather than "DO NOT SPEND $950 ON GOLF CLUBS." I could branch out and get a used set of something else..... Aw, hell.  I'll probably order them today.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I20 sets are starting to turn up more frequently at 2nd Swing and Three Balls but you could be waiting a long time to find a green dot set with a shorter length shaft since the it is more common for the upright lie angles to be lengthened. That being said it would be problematic to have a set 1/4 inch too short but 1/4 inch too long you probably would never notice the difference if you got standard length and choke down 1/4 inch. If you haven't ordered already is there another Ping fitter in your area that you could go to and recheck your result?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by WUTiger

and the price drop to $699 for new i20s might force my hand..

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I was fit on a iN fLIGHT Ping system. Got my specs and ordered from TGW.com I have not regretted it for a second. Got exactly what I wanted and needed and TGW and Ping were great. Call TGW. They can get you exactly what you want. Start off with 5 or 6 clubs in the set. Then get a new addition every month til you have what you want. Ping will even put the same serial numbers on them for you so your set matches.:-D

Driver      -  K15 10.5 w/ Ping TFC149D Shaft in stiff

4 Wood   -  Rapture V2 17.5* Aldila S-75

Hybrid    -   Super Hybrid SS 19* w/ Matrix Program

Irons      -   i20's 3-W, UW, SW & LW w/ KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" White Dot

Putter    -   White Ice #9 33"

Ball       -   B330-S & B330-RXS

D2 Feel

Bragging about a 200 yard 7 iron is not golf.

The i20`s price will hold til 2014 when the i25`s come out which I think will be a disappointment like the i15`s were.

D2 Feel

Originally Posted by Na5carr3

The i20`s price will hold til 2014 when the i25`s come out which I think will be a disappointment like the i15`s were.

Yeah, what I saw was 4-PW, which is why i thought the price dropped.  Didn't include the U

I was fit on a iN fLIGHT Ping system. Got my specs and ordered from TGW.com I have not regretted it for a second. Got exactly what I wanted and needed and TGW and Ping were great. Call TGW. They can get you exactly what you want. Start off with 5 or 6 clubs in the set. Then get a new addition every month til you have what you want. Ping will even put the same serial numbers on them for you so your set matches.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

A bit off topic, but I was wondering if anyone had any input on this...

If I trade in my old irons and some other clubs I can get a new i20 Hybrid for free.  My current hybrid is out of date and has regular flex shaft that doesn't fit me.  Since I want to go the trade-in route, that means buying online, and no opportunity for a good free fitting.  But I was fit for the RIP Phenom 60 Stiff shaft for my R11s and when I was fit for i20 irons, the mizuno shaft optimizer recommended PX 5.5, KBS Stiff, or DGS300.

Would I be safe going with the PX 5.5?  I can get the Aldila RIP shaft too, but that's an extra $40.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Yeah, what I saw was 4-PW, which is why i thought the price dropped.  Didn't include the U

TGW and Ping have a great relationship. I saw my new irons in 13 days. They are quick (ping). I think they tell us that in case they run into any shortages from other vendors beyond their control ie; shaft and grip companies. Ping sends them well packed with every head covered by a single use foam headcover. Keep the yellow card that comes with them. All of the clubmakers signatures are on it along with all the particulars about your clubs...swing weights and such, kind of a kool touch. Trash to some, but I thought it was kinda kool. ENJOY!!!

D2 Feel

• 2 weeks later...

Fedex tells me they will arrive on Valentine's Day.  Can't wait.  that's 2 weeks to the day that I placed the order.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

TGW and Ping have a great relationship. I saw my new irons in 13 days. They are quick (ping). I think they tell us that in case they run into any shortages from other vendors beyond their control ie; shaft and grip companies. Ping sends them well packed with every head covered by a single use foam headcover. Keep the yellow card that comes with them. All of the clubmakers signatures are on it along with all the particulars about your clubs...swing weights and such, kind of a kool touch. Trash to some, but I thought it was kinda kool. ENJOY!!!

Got mine today, 13 days after I placed the order on TGW.  Can't wait to use them.  Thanks to all for the advice.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Hey dsc123, Have you hit those new sticks yet?

D2 Feel

Note: This thread is 4059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!