IGNORED

Mrs. Kanwars minimalist golf swing

logman
Note: This thread is 3741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by logman

Anyway, Iacas you say the only way to hit it out of my shadow is to use my wrists. Front 9 today my drives were 240 meters, 200(into the scrub!!), 260(drove to 15 meters of the front of the green) then 287 meters(wind assisted, good bounce).  So my front wrist in these swings is as firm as I can make it without losing the ability to hinge at the elbow.

I think you are cocking your wrists, even if you don't think so. A video would be nice.

As to how instructors should teach and maybe use MGS for those who don't want to put in as much effort... I don't buy it. I think that the average person can learn to play decent golf with a "traditional" swing, even if they don't have tons of time.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry, I think we may be at crossed purposes, I'm pretty sure Mrs. Kanwar says some wrist cock is OK but not to make it extreme

And the guy on the video isn't a demonsrator, he's a guy who's been using the swing and is convinced that the important thing about MGS is the setup. So the video is about the setup. It's not about whether his wrist is cocked(which Mrs. Kanwar says is OK, just not too much) or not,  it's about, as the guy says in the video"the meat and potatoes" of the swing is in the setup

That's pretty much it.

So he swings one with no wrist cock, and about half a swing and gets 128 mph......then he swings a bit longer with a bit of wrist cock, again not too much ,and makes 140......good, this is still MGS as he says, .......then he has some full swings with full on lag, big shoulder turn etc etc and gets 150. Thats it.

Anyway, Iacas you say the only way to hit it out of my shadow is to use my wrists. Front 9 today my drives were 240 meters, 200(into the scrub!!), 260(drove to 15 meters of the front of the green) then 287 meters(wind assisted, good bounce).  So my front wrist in these swings is as firm as I can make it without losing the ability to hinge at the elbow.

Why not shoot us non-believers a video of your swing so we can see it with our own eyes? Have you ever seen your swing on video? You might be surprised at what is really going on, then again, I might be the one surprised but until you show us we'll never know.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

Feel.

Ain't.

Real.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yep, well what makes me kind of confident in the whole wrist thing is I know when I start using my wrist when I get a bit tired and start to loose my technique. What tends to happen is my distances start to drop and my accuracy gets sketchy. If I re-concentrate my mind on the task and give my body a good talking to then the accuracy and power gets better.......yeah, yeah, I know FEEL AINT REAL

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

• Administrator

Yep, well what makes me kind of confident in the whole wrist thing is I know when I start using my wrist when I get a bit tired and start to loose my technique. What tends to happen is my distances start to drop and my accuracy gets sketchy. If I re-concentrate my mind on the task and give my body a good talking to then the accuracy and power gets better.......yeah, yeah, I know FEEL AINT REAL

I'd wager a good sum of money on the fact that you're using your wrists in the swing you say doesn't use your wrists.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And now we can see for ourselves: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/64565/my-swing-logman/0_30]http://thesandtrap.com/t/64565/my-swing-logman/0_30[/URL]

Hey, which one of you guys dropped this gauntlet I just found on the ground???? :-p

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is old but wanted to bump it because I've been trying out this MGS swing recently and IT WORKS.

Couple of things about the swing as it has been discussed here that I think leads to confusion:

Pre-set/pre-turn:  There is a false conception that MGS has no backswing because of the pre-turn of the torso to the right at address.  Of course there is a backswing, you are raising the arms up (specifically the lead arm up along the chest).

Wrist cock: I think there is naturally a degree of wrist cock simply because the weight of the club naturally causes the wrists to cock near the top of the backswing.  However the idea is to not add any wrist cock or do it excessively.  The only thought should be raising the club up along the chest and letting it fall back down.

Power: There is absolutely nothing in this swing that would or should limit power or club head speed.  There is definitely a weight shift in the swing but it is solely due to the weight of the club.  I get much more distance with this swing, it feels free-flowing and promotes a natural draw.

Only for beginners/seniors/etc: I don't see why this would be the case although it is clearly a good swing for beginners as well since there is less to think about.  However on Kiran's web site/Youtube she demonstrates improvement with all levels of golfers including some professionals.

Anyway just thought I'd throw it out there that I was using this swing and finding it great so far.  I had been using the Heard Super Swing which was also very effective however I wanted something with even less moving parts and I was fighting the hooks with HSS due to the super-strong grip.  The MGS works with a standard grip which makes it feel more natural to me.

Post back in two months when your handicap is the same and tell us how well it is working then. The weight shift is solely because of the weight of the club give me a break.[quote name="stoverny" url="/t/64249/mrs-kanwars-minimalist-golf-swing/90#post_872005"]I know this thread is old but wanted to bump it because I've been trying out this MGS swing recently and IT WORKS. Couple of things about the swing as it has been discussed here that I think leads to confusion: Pre-set/pre-turn:  There is a false conception that MGS has no backswing because of the pre-turn of the torso to the right at address.  Of course there is a backswing, you are raising the arms up (specifically the lead arm up along the chest). Wrist cock: I think there is naturally a degree of wrist cock simply because the weight of the club naturally causes the wrists to cock near the top of the backswing.  However the idea is to not add any wrist cock or do it excessively.  The only thought should be raising the club up along the chest and letting it fall back down. Power: There is absolutely nothing in this swing that would or should limit power or club head speed.  There is definitely a weight shift in the swing but it is solely due to the weight of the club.  I get much more distance with this swing, it feels free-flowing and promotes a natural draw. Only for beginners/seniors/etc: I don't see why this would be the case although it is clearly a good swing for beginners as well since there is less to think about.  However on Kiran's web site/Youtube she demonstrates improvement with all levels of golfers including some professionals. Anyway just thought I'd throw it out there that I was using this swing and finding it great so far.  I had been using the Heard Super Swing which was also very effective however I wanted something with even less moving parts and I was fighting the hooks with HSS due to the super-strong grip.  The MGS works with a standard grip which makes it feel more natural to me. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Originally Posted by billchao

If we could preset all our positions and just swing at the ball and have only a minimal loss of power, we'd all be playing with a no backswing swing. After all, if you can preset your shoulder turn, why not go the whole 9? Just take all of the bad moving parts of the backswing out completely.

interesting idea!

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

Post back in two months when your handicap is the same and tell us how well it is working then. The weight shift is solely because of the weight of the club give me a break.

Apologies Phil I am not understanding your point.  Or maybe I am not explaining the swing correctly?  What I mean regarding the weight shift is that there is no thought of pivoting the lower body or shifting weight in the swing, you simply raise the lead arm up along the chest.  Then when the arms falls back down, weight of the arms/club transfers the weight to the front side along with it.  So there is a weight shift but there is no rotation or conscious turning of the hips.

I cannot guarantee that my hc will be better in 2 months (I only play once a week!) - but I shot an 81 with this swing last time out which is my best score ever (I am about a 17-18hc). But regardless of score I was hitting the ball great and my drives were clearing fairway bunkers I had previously not even been reaching.  I am pretty sure if I can get my short game in order this swing will have me breaking 80 finally.

• 5 months later...

Apologies Phil I am not understanding your point.  Or maybe I am not explaining the swing correctly?  What I mean regarding the weight shift is that there is no thought of pivoting the lower body or shifting weight in the swing, you simply raise the lead arm up along the chest.  Then when the arms falls back down, weight of the arms/club transfers the weight to the front side along with it.  So there is a weight shift but there is no rotation or conscious turning of the hips.

I cannot guarantee that my hc will be better in 2 months (I only play once a week!) - but I shot an 81 with this swing last time out which is my best score ever (I am about a 17-18hc). But regardless of score I was hitting the ball great and my drives were clearing fairway bunkers I had previously not even been reaching.  I am pretty sure if I can get my short game in order this swing will have me breaking 80 finally.

How is the MGS treating you now in 2014- does this still remain as part of your golf identity?

Note: This thread is 3741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!