IGNORED

wow golf is crazy hard :(

golf55
Note: This thread is 4081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

man I'm thinking about just giving up golf and my dreams. The more I practice and get lesson the worse I'm getting. I was playing a lot better 2yrs ago. I feel like my chances of going to D1 school and making pro is impossible. I been spending months on the range daily and no progress. I'm also having hard time with school, family and relationship.

Originally Posted by golf55

man I'm thinking about just giving up golf and my dreams. The more I practice and get lesson the worse I'm getting. I was playing a lot better 2yrs ago. I feel like my chances of going to D1 school and making pro is impossible. I been spending months on the range daily and no progress. I'm also having hard time with school, family and relationship.

Golf's just a game ,mate. Just about everything else is more important. Dreams change, Life changes. Don't get so wound up in the a game .Don't be afraid to talk to people about how you feel

• Upvote 2

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Well, to be honest - your chances are going pro are next to impossible.

But it looks like, with your current mindset, that your biggest problem is the space between your ears. If you are having too many problems with outside forces, it will make it difficult to get any better.

I was laid off a couple of months ago, and as much as I try to tune everything else out - my golf game has suffered immensely.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf's just a game ,mate. Just about everything else is more important. Dreams change, Life changes. Don't get so wound up in the a game .Don't be afraid to talk to people about how you feel

I second this. If you have to sacrifice everything else in your life, is it worth it? I don't really like discouraging people from pursuing their dreams, but IMO family and school is more important. Golf can still be part of your life, but maybe it shouldn't be the focus of it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Originally Posted by logman

Golf is more than a game to me. I want this more than anything and I'm putting insane amount of work but not having any progress. It sucks.

I don't care if making it pro to is impossible, I'm going to try and try. fail some more and try again.

I don't really understand how you guys can tell me I should just give up my passion.... I wish it was that easy but it's not. I'm going to take my mind of golf for 2-3days and practice some more. I will shoot under par this year! I been saying that for last couple yrs :(

If I really don't improve this year I really need a back up plan. My parents and I discuss this as my "final" year. pray for me. I want to believe I can make it one day but my lack of self esteem just kills it sometimes.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Are you currently taking any lessons? If so, have you thought about trying a different teacher? Many times a teacher only has one way of explaining something and possibly it just isn't clicking with your learning style, a different instructor that teaches in a different way may be a better fit for you. It's nothing against a specific teacher, but much of learning is teaming up the right student to the right teacher and if a teacher doesn't know how to adapt their teaching to the way a student learns, it can be a struggle.

In regards to the backup option if you need it, there are lots of careers within golf that are not just based around playing. If you love the sport so much maybe that would be a direction for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by logman

Golf is more than a game to me. I want this more than anything and I'm putting insane amount of work but not having any progress. It sucks.

I don't care if making it pro to is impossible, I'm going to try and try. fail some more and try again.

I don't really understand how you guys can tell me I should just give up my passion.... I wish it was that easy but it's not. I'm going to take my mind of golf for 2-3days and practice some more. I will shoot under par this year! I been saying that for last couple yrs :(

If I really don't improve this year I really need a back up plan. My parents and I discuss this as my "final" year. pray for me. I want to believe I can make it one day but my lack of self esteem just kills it sometimes.

Nobody is telling you to give up, but they are telling you that your dream may be unrealistic.  Lots of us had those thoughts at one time, found out that it wasn't in the cards for us, but we still play and love the game.  You seem to have the wrong attitude.  You seem to see golf as a bridge to fame and fortune (or at least a college scholarship), rather than as a game which may or may not lead to better things.

Just taking lessons means very little.  It's taking the right lessons from someone who can really analyze your swing and needs.  If your instructor isn't capable of meeting those needs, then all the practice in the world won't get you where you want to be, because you are aimed in the wrong direction from the start.  All instructors are not equal, and not all instructors are fit to wear the title.

One more point... at a 10 handicap, you are at the level where progress becomes more difficult.  Improvement comes in smaller steps, and with greater effort.  If your long game is decent, then short game and putting becomes crucial to improving.  You need to be hitting greens at a 40%-50%, clip, but you also need to be getting up and down at even a higher rate than that when you miss the green by a small margin.  Bunker play is equally important.

You say that you practice a lot, but you never mention what or how you practice.  Maybe you are already doing all of these things, without success.  If so, then maybe it is time to rethink your life plan.  But that doesn't mean that you have to give up golf, just play it for what it is - a great game.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It would seem that after 2 years of getting lessons and practicing daily, but still shooting in the 80's, you might consider that golf at the college of professional level just isn't in the cards.  Perhaps you should look elsewhere for your dream. Reality steps in every now and then and slaps us all in the face.

man I'm thinking about just giving up golf and my dreams. The more I practice and get lesson the worse I'm getting. I was playing a lot better 2yrs ago. I feel like my chances of going to D1 school and making pro is impossible. I been spending months on the range daily and no progress. I 'm also having hard time with school, family and relationship.

To be brutally honest, if you're also having that much trouble with the rest of your life, maybe you should quit for a while. Priorities, man. The game will always be there.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Let me get this straight.  Your only interest in golf is as an avenue into the world of professional athletics.  So if you can't go pro, then you cannot play and enjoy the game for what it is and your parents will only let you invest time into sports for which you have a real opportunity to go pro.  That's a pretty high bar.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by Topper

Let me get this straight.  Your only interest in golf is as an avenue into the world of professional athletics.  So if you can't go pro, then you cannot play and enjoy the game for what it is and your parents will only let you invest time into sports for which you have a real opportunity to go pro.  That's a pretty high bar.

he said nothing of the sort.

the kid is bummed. we've all had those days (or weeks/months etc). I'm guessing he's a teenager... mole hills can seem like mountains some times. cut him some slack. He'll learn to sort all that out over time.

My advice, take a breather... listen to the some of the positive advice already offered. While you're taking a breather, think thru some things, do u need a coaching switch? Do u need to adjust how you're practicing? Aiming for the pros is an awful large chunk to chew on... try setting incremental goals: make the varsity team, win a local tourney, then a regional. If you're short on time, shoot for junior college instead of D1, then as you prove yourself there, think about a D1 transfer. There's multiple routes, don't get bogged down by a single formula to success. Don't ignore your priorities either, but you don't have to sacrifice one for the other... you can do both (pursue dreams and manage priorities).

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Nobody is telling you to give up, but they are telling you that your dream may be unrealistic.  Lots of us had those thoughts at one time, found out that it wasn't in the cards for us, but we still play and love the game.  You seem to have the wrong attitude.  You seem to see golf as a bridge to fame and fortune (or at least a college scholarship), rather than as a game which may or may not lead to better things.   Just taking lessons means very little.  It's taking the right lessons from someone who can really analyze your swing and needs.  If your instructor isn't capable of meeting those needs, then all the practice in the world won't get you where you want to be, because you are aimed in the wrong direction from the start.  All instructors are not equal, and not all instructors are fit to wear the title. One more point... at a 10 handicap, you are at the level where progress becomes more difficult.  Improvement comes in smaller steps, and with greater effort.  If your long game is decent, then short game and putting becomes crucial to improving.  You need to be hitting greens at a 40%-50%, clip, but you also need to be getting up and down at even a higher rate than that when you miss the green by a small margin.  Bunker play is equally important.   You say that you practice a lot, but you never mention what or how you practice.  Maybe you are already doing all of these things, without success.  If so, then maybe it is time to rethink your life plan.  But that doesn't mean that you have to give up golf, just play it for what it is - a great game. a1_smile.gif

Good post here. Lots of really good nuggets. I particularly agree with the idea of having the wrong instructor having a negative affect on your improvement. Once you start working on something and are no longer seeing improvement you need to find another direction. You are now developing habits in your swing that will take years to remove. Practicing the wrong things are only going to make you better at the wrong things. You are forced to make compensations and it will take years once you get older to get them out.

Michael

I think you need a dose of reality. You need to reset your priorities. You will never succeed at a game that demands the required focus of golf if you have all those other things going on in your life.

I woud suggest that you try and solve those other (more important) issues before you engulf your life in golf. The game will always be there, and you will have a much better chance to succeed with a clear mind.

Bill M

I quit for 11 years after playing competitive junior golf since I was 11. I really wanted to play at a high level and I played with guys that were very good, two of which went on scholarship for golf and I realized that I frankly did not have the raw talent to get to that level (not saying you don't). At that time for me being successful in golf consumed me and I decided I would rather not play if I couldn't be a tour pro. It affected my grades (went from straight A's to barely passing), ruined a long term relationship and just made me generally unhappy.

My clubs sat in the basement, I even sold my scotty putter I had because I was convinced I was done. After working on other things and finding new goals I came back to the game and I couldn't be happier. Do not let your school suffer because of golf, that is not a good trade and good grades are just as important as your golf skills in getting in to a good school even on a golf scholarship.  As has been stated work on being happier and enjoying life, golf is just a game and if you do happen to give it up it will always be around. Look at James from the The Big Break , he was an All-American and quit golf for a bit because he had enough. Do not measure your success by your golf scores, there is a lot more to life than just golf.

Originally Posted by awmgolfer

Are you currently taking any lessons? If so, have you thought about trying a different teacher? Many times a teacher only has one way of explaining something and possibly it just isn't clicking with your learning style, a different instructor that teaches in a different way may be a better fit for you. It's nothing against a specific teacher, but much of learning is teaming up the right student to the right teacher and if a teacher doesn't know how to adapt their teaching to the way a student learns, it can be a struggle.

In regards to the backup option if you need it, there are lots of careers within golf that are not just based around playing. If you love the sport so much maybe that would be a direction for you.

Agree AWM. Golf 55, maybe an alternative route into the golf business arena could be the way to go. There's plenty of guys on this site who might be able to expand your horizons into a different path to travel.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Oh, and self esteem issues are things that can be dealt with by professionals. Go see someone if you feel you need to. Sorry if I sound all serious and preachy. Just sayin.

Note: This thread is 4081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!