IGNORED

My Swing (Casey)

Casey
Note: This thread is 3961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: Started playing this summer

My current handicap index or average score is: Low/Mid 90's

My typical ball flight is: Usually slight draw on irons but was pushing them a little bit tonight, Really high fade on driver

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Skying the driver, occasional slice with driver, inconsistency with irons (fat/thin shots).

Not really sure what I should work on so let me know anything you see! I have a small knowledge of the golf swing and understand the new ball flight laws if that helps you decide what type of advice to give

I got the RBZ driver for christmas and I played a few rounds in florida, and was having huge problems hitting it basically straight up in the air with about a 5-10 yard fade. This was obviously robbing me of a lot of distance, so this is something I really would like to fix. Tonight at the range I had this problem again. For reference, its a 10.5* with stock matrix ozik stiff shaft.

Videos:

Sorry for the video being pretty crappy, was filmed with an iphone. Also the walls of the stall are pretty high so it was really hard to get a good caddie view.

Also, ignore the shaggy hair, us college students can't afford a decent hair cut!

• Upvote 1

Sorry for double posting, but here's a caddie view. You can't really see that much because the stalls were so small that it was hard to get a good camera angle. This view really shows how I struggle with pulling the club down with my left arm and the shaft is vertical when my left arm is parallel to target line on downswing (not sure what that is in s&t; lingo). Trying to keep my right arm underneath the left arm at start of downswing to get the club path more in to out and less steep.

I am not an expert by any stretch but from the lessons I am taking I might suggest that you try shortening your backswing and staying more in control on your follow through. For the follow through my teacher suggests I envision that I am trying to throw the club head to the target, keeping it low. This has helped me release my hand at impact and it ends up shortening my follow through. The end result is that my entire swing is more in control, leaving less to chance. I think you have a good swing, you're turning your body, driving your hips through, etc. It just appears to me that you are a little loose at the top of your back swing and during your follow through. Please take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm working on my swing as well, and I am not a teacher. There are more qualified persons on the TST.

• Upvote 1

Thank you cooke, I will definitely work on shortening my backswing as well as the follow through as you suggest. Do you think the flying wedge drill would help in controlling the follow through?

Same as Cooke I am not a teaching professional but there are a few things I noticed mostly with the set up, the swing is kind of choppy so its hard to say. First it looks like you are leaning back on your heels in your set up. You want a more athletic stance, knees flexed and very stable. Now my next tip take with a grain of salt it works very well for me but a lot of people will say otherwise. Try keeping you back knee (right) flexed all the way through the swing. It helps keep you from over rotating back to far and it gives you a good base to push off on with that back leg. The swing is hard to tell I only watched the driver since that is what you want to fix. I find it hard to believe you skying balls with a swing that is so flat, most of your swing balls with a driver is because you get to steep. You may want try teeing it a bit lower if its a big problem, that might be a simple solution. You are a bit over the top with the swing but nothing that looked horrible from that video. I did watch that 8i video and it seems like you are laying back through the shot and not getting your weight back to your front foot which could be why that ball shot right off the club face.

Just a few things I noticed.

Back swing is too long. Keep left arm straight at the top of swing

Left knee bends too much- keep straighter.

Don't sway as much.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To me, the reason you are occasionally skying your driver and hitting the occasional slice with it is because of your angle of attack into the ball.  It is very steep for your driver.  How is your ball flight with your long irons also?  Ball flight laws would suggest that you have a square club face so I would not think it has anything to do with the clubhead.  When you get steep on a driver the things you describe can occur.  A drill that I have found to be very useful for this is attached in the link below.  Let me know how you get on.

http://www.mytpi.com/mytpi05/exercises/exercise_detail.asp?exerciseid=997

Originally Posted by andycolluk

To me, the reason you are occasionally skying your driver and hitting the occasional slice with it is because of your angle of attack into the ball.  It is very steep for your driver.  How is your ball flight with your long irons also?  Ball flight laws would suggest that you have a square club face so I would not think it has anything to do with the clubhead.  When you get steep on a driver the things you describe can occur.  A drill that I have found to be very useful for this is attached in the link below.  Let me know how you get on.

http://www.mytpi.com/mytpi05/exercises/exercise_detail.asp?exerciseid=997

With my long irons I generally have somewhat of a high ballflight but not terrible, I'll occasionally balloon a 5 iron but usually get a decent flight with the 3 & 4 iron (if I get them off the ground, that is). Thank you for the drill, highly appreciate your input.

• 4 months later...

Here's a little update. Coming a lot more in to out now, usually between 3*-5* in to out according to this simulator. Worked on my setup standing a little further from the ball and weight more in the middle of my feet rather than out on the toes. My driver woes have been cured since I first posted with improvements and installing a heavier shaft and I am now working on maintaining consistency with both the driver and irons. Still working on shortening that backswing...I feel like it looks longer than it really is because I do this weird little wrist flip right before the transition which I'm really trying to get rid of. Old habits die hard. Well, anywho...

I like your swing, looks really athletic.  The main thing I see is that your swing looks a bit on the flat side of things.  I would recommend getting your shoulders stepper on the backswing.  Check out this video, it explains things well.

Thanks Chiral, do you think having the feeling of "hands higher" on the backswing could accomplish getting a steeper shoulder turn? I agree that I am much too flat and this is resulting in much bigger draws than I want. Right now my stock shot is producing about a 10-15 yard draw and I'd like to tighten that up and get it down to 5 yards if possible.

Note: This thread is 3961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!