IGNORED

grips that don't slip

Paradox
Note: This thread is 4073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been a Tour Velvet user for as long as I can remember but I've decided to try and find something thats a little less "slippy" after the newness wears off.  I've been thinking of VDR's, possibly BCT cords, or the Z-grip.  Do cords really provide a lot of grip as far as the grip moving around in the hand?

I've done some searches here on the site about pure grips(no air compressor available), Iomics(way to dang expensive for me to go for but they seem like they'd feel amazing)...are cords just the way to go?

FWIW, I play gloveless, have tough hands, and live in Kentucky so the humidity is off the charts during the summer.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Paradox

I've been a Tour Velvet user for as long as I can remember but I've decided to try and find something thats a little less "slippy" after the newness wears off.  I've been thinking of VDR's, possibly BCT cords, or the Z-grip.  Do cords really provide a lot of grip as far as the grip moving around in the hand?

I've done some searches here on the site about pure grips(no air compressor available), Iomics(way to dang expensive for me to go for but they seem like they'd feel amazing)...are cords just the way to go?

FWIW, I play gloveless, have tough hands, and live in Kentucky so the humidity is off the charts during the summer.

I am a big fan of cords. They are a little harder on the hands but for me they offer the best grip and last a long time. We have hot days here with a lot of humidity and I have never had a problem however I do wear a glove. I have demoed the VDR's at the store but I do not have any significant experience with any of the ones you mentioned but I think grips are so personal that you just have to pick one and see if you like it. The other day I re-gripped my driver and  my 60 degree with a multicompound to see if I like it before I go all in with every club (driver and wedge grip needed to be changed anyway).

I guess I'm gonna have to do that because my whole set needs re-gripped and I can't really decide on one.  I like that the VDR is pretty affordable but I'm worried about its "softness" and then with cords...the only corded grip I've ever touched was so slick it turned me off(just a demo grip on a stick)

Try the Lamkin REL 3GEN.

http://thesandtrap.com/products/lamkin-r-e-l-3gen-grips

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I too play without a glove and live in Kansas, where the humidity is off the charts in the summer.  I play the New Decade Multicompound and swear by them, they can be rough on your hands, are a little on the expensive side, but IMHO, worth it.  I can get 50-75 rounds of golf out of a set of them.  After 5-10 rounds or a hot, humid day, I will just use warm, soapy water and a soft bristle brush and scrub them and it will clean out the oils and salts from your skin and bring them back to almost new conditions.  Plus, you can get them in all kinds of colors, I prefer Kansas University blue!!!

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I'm a former die-hard cord guy (and I live in SW Ohio so I know about the humidity) and I switched to PURE Grips and haven't looked back.  I hit a LOT of balls at the range and the only issue I have is if I hit the same club during heat/humidity for an extended amount of time, but then a little cold water on the hands fixes that.  As colin007 said you can put PURE Grips on the traditional way with tape and solvent.  Not going to lie; I absolutely loved my cords but they got too expensive and just ripped my hands to shreds after all the balls I hit.

As for durability of the PURE: I average going to the range 3 times a week during the summer (approx), Thursday night league for 9 holes and usually at least 18 (if not 36) on the weekend.  My PURE's still looked brand new after a full season of use.  Amazed by the durability; the have a 1-yr warranty.

Grips are very personal and everyone has an opinion but I'd certainly recommend PURE.  Chances are if you contact them via their website they will even send you some samples.  They did me and that's what sold me on them.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo

I too play without a glove and live in Kansas, where the humidity is off the charts in the summer.  I play the New Decade Multicompound and swear by them, they can be rough on your hands, are a little on the expensive side, but IMHO, worth it.  I can get 50-75 rounds of golf out of a set of them.  After 5-10 rounds or a hot, humid day, I will just use warm, soapy water and a soft bristle brush and scrub them and it will clean out the oils and salts from your skin and bring them back to almost new conditions.  Plus, you can get them in all kinds of colors, I prefer Kansas University blue!!!

I second this including the cleaning.  I don't wear a glove and sweat a lot in the summer.  These are great for that.  They last longer than the Tour Velvet too.  I guess I am a Kansas fan, because I like the blue as well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I second this including the cleaning.  I don't wear a glove and sweat a lot in the summer.  These are great for that.  They last longer than the Tour Velvet too.  I guess I am a Kansas fan, because I like the blue as well.

+2 on the New Decade's. I was a tour-wrap, full cord guy forever, but these are better, and it gets a little warm and sweaty in FL......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

the NDMC are fantastic.  for a new grip i dont think theres anything better.  but for durability and cost, you cannot beat PURE.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo

that blue is Kentucky blue :D

you guys using the pure grips...you don't experience any kind of slipping after a few rounds using the grips?  I love the price and the color choice of the Pure grips..just thought that since the pattern was kind of the same thing as the Tour Velvet that it wouldn't give as much traction eventually and of course the air compressor thing..but if I can install them traditionally, I might still give them a go.  Right now I've got an order of several different grips from GP and also a grip from Pure to see how they all feel.

I've played 2 rounds with my Winn Dri-Tacs with no glove, and they're super comfortable and require very little grip pressure to avoid slipping.  I swapped because I'm starting to get a touch of arthritis in my fingers and smaller, firmer grips would make my hands/fingers ache after a full round.

yeah I have to either buy midsize or above or tape up grips to be midsize or else my fingers ache like crazy

Originally Posted by Paradox

you guys using the pure grips...you don't experience any kind of slipping after a few rounds using the grips?  I love the price and the color choice of the Pure grips..just thought that since the pattern was kind of the same thing as the Tour Velvet that it wouldn't give as much traction eventually and of course the air compressor thing..but if I can install them traditionally, I might still give them a go.  Right now I've got an order of several different grips from GP and also a grip from Pure to see how they all feel.

I'm a "sweater" (but I do wear a glove) and no.  Like I said previously, the only time I have any issues with slipping is when it's crazy hot, I'm at the range and hit the same club for maybe 30 balls or so.  Then yeah...it might get a little slick.  Other than that, I had the same set of PURE grips on the entire golf season last year and they were just as tacky at the end of the year as they were at the beginning.

Also of note: PURE just introduced a new line at the PGA Merchandise show made specifically for corded players (DTX).  Hoping to get some samples when they become available.

As for the "air compressor thing", like it's been said before you can always put them on with tape/solution, however I have also done the opposite; put other grips on (with the PURE air gun) with air instead of tape and solution.  The only grip I've found that you can't do that with is the Winn's (won't fit properly in the air gun).  Believe me, it's MUCH easier and quicker doing it with air.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

If your grips become slippery, just scrub them with washing-up liquid and warm water, being sure to rinse off the soap before drying---you'll find they quickly become tacky again, and often better than when newly installed.

I also play gloveless, and so thicken my grips beneath the left hand, and slightly less beneath the right.  I used Golf Pride Tour Velvet ribbed, but now find Black Widow, ribbed white grips become slippery less easily and give better traction and feel.  At the moment, they're also cheaper, so you can experiment at low cost.

I've tried cords, but playing gloveless, there is a nasty tendency to 'skin' the left thumb, especially when hitting irons from hard ground !

I am thinking of switching to corded grips, if they last a year, then they will match the price of of Tour Velvets, which i have played with for years.

Personally i will go with Golf Pride over any other brand, i hate Winn Grips, they always feel way to slick for me.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

winn grips suck ass.  golf pride is great, especially their Tour Wraps.  however, PURE has a version just like the Tour Wraps and they outlast them 3 to 1.

Colin P.

thinking that if I go with Pure grips, I'm gonna buy a tire inflator(cheap compressor with enough PSI to blow on a grip)

Note: This thread is 4073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!