Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShortOffTheTee

40% with one club and thirteen for the other 60%

21 posts in this topic

Having taken part in another similar post, the fact that we play 40% of the game with the putter and we feel we need 13 for the other 60% just seems wrong. If we can apply feel to the use of the putter then why can't we be more versatile with the other clubs in the bag instead of trying to emulate the pros who dedicate much more time to finessing distance and tragectory etc???

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Having taken part in another similar post, the fact that we play 40% of the game with the putter and we feel we need 13 for the other 60% just seems wrong. If we can apply feel to the use of the putter then why can't we be more versatile with the other clubs in the bag instead of trying to emulate the pros who dedicate much more time to finessing distance and tragectory etc???

I think you have it backwards. Top players, including the pros are capable of manufacturing different shots with the same club. They can hit a 9 iron 140 yds or 75. They can flight it high with a cut, or low with a draw. Less skilled players would be much better served spending LESS time trying to hit shots that they don't have the skill or experience to play, and just learn to hit a simple, repeatable, stock shot with the right club for the job. Get that down pat, and then learn to get creative. Simplicity and consistency are the keys.....especially for newer or less accomplished players who want to improve their scores. Even if they don't look like a tour pro doing it.....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last I looked there was no minimum number of clubs required.  If you can play at a level that makes you happy with just a 5 iron, or whatever your favorite club is, have at it.  Sounds kind of nice actually.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by ShortOffTheTee

Having taken part in another similar post, the fact that we play 40% of the game with the putter and we feel we need 13 for the other 60% just seems wrong. If we can apply feel to the use of the putter then why can't we be more versatile with the other clubs in the bag instead of trying to emulate the pros who dedicate much more time to finessing distance and tragectory etc???

The putter is not very versatile it is just that 40% of our shots take place on the green. The other 13 clubs are there as a result of the diversity of shots that make up the other 60% which require various lofts and lengths to accommodate the variability of the shots that a golfer will face before they reach the green.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by David in FL

I think you have it backwards.

Top players, including the pros are capable of manufacturing different shots with the same club. They can hit a 9 iron 140 yds or 75. They can flight it high with a cut, or low with a draw.

Less skilled players would be much better served spending LESS time trying to hit shots that they don't have the skill or experience to play, and just learn to hit a simple, repeatable, stock shot with the right club for the job. Get that down pat, and then learn to get creative.

Simplicity and consistency are the keys.....especially for newer or less accomplished players who want to improve their scores. Even if they don't look like a tour pro doing it.....

Exactly.  The sentence "If we can apply feel to the use of the putter then why can't we be more versatile with the other clubs in the bag instead of trying to emulate the pros who dedicate much more time to finessing distance and tragectory etc???" boggles my mind.

"Why can't we be more versatile" INSTEAD of "trying to emulate pros who finesse distance and trajectory."  What exactly do you think you are doing if you try to hit one club over 20 or 30 yards worth of distances?  You are trying to finesse distance and trajectory!

This reminded me of another very similar thread with an OP who shall remain nameless (unless you want to click on the link ) who had a similar thought process.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/56318/should-rule-4-4-maximum-of-14-clubs-be-altered/0_30

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the short answer is that hitting greens drops your score like crazy.

Being able to hit a 5 iron 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, or 200 yards on command is very difficult. If we had to do this we would miss greens. So, we put in a club for each one of these yardages, and hit more greens. It's as simple as that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I overhit a putt by 20% (let's say a 10 footer), it goes 12 foot. That leaves me a 2 footer coming back, I'd consider that a decent putt.

If I overhit a 100 yard wedge by 20% I've hit a 120 yard shot and am probably over the back somewhere in trouble, I'd consider that a bad shot.

Different objectives, different ways of achieving them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly.  The sentence "If we can apply feel to the use of the putter then why can't we be more versatile with the other clubs in the bag instead of trying to emulate the pros who dedicate much more time to finessing distance and tragectory etc???" boggles my mind. "Why can't we be more versatile" INSTEAD of "trying to emulate pros who finesse distance and trajectory."  What exactly do you think you are doing if you try to hit one club over 20 or 30 yards worth of distances?  You are trying to finesse distance and trajectory! This reminded me of another very similar thread with an OP who shall remain nameless (unless you want to click on the link :-P ) who had a similar thought process. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/56318/should-rule-4-4-maximum-of-14-clubs-be-altered/0_30]http://thesandtrap.com/t/56318/should-rule-4-4-maximum-of-14-clubs-be-altered/0_30[/URL]

For the love of all that is Holy, don't click the link and DON'T say that name! Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!!!!!! I gotta go get my Holy Water just in case.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Exactly.  The sentence "If we can apply feel to the use of the putter then why can't we be more versatile with the other clubs in the bag instead of trying to emulate the pros who dedicate much more time to finessing distance and tragectory etc???" boggles my mind.

"Why can't we be more versatile" INSTEAD of "trying to emulate pros who finesse distance and trajectory."  What exactly do you think you are doing if you try to hit one club over 20 or 30 yards worth of distances?  You are trying to finesse distance and trajectory!

This reminded me of another very similar thread with an OP who shall remain nameless (unless you want to click on the link ) who had a similar thought process.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/56318/should-rule-4-4-maximum-of-14-clubs-be-altered/0_30

For the love of all that is Holy, don't click the link and DON'T say that name!

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!!!!!!

I gotta go get my Holy Water just in case.

Too late, I clicked it and got sucked into the netherworld and popped out on the other side of the universe and have spent the last 5 billion years trying to get back home...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Too late, I clicked it and got sucked into the netherworld and popped out on the other side of the universe and have spent the last 5 billion years trying to get back home...

Click your heels together 3 times repeatiing "There's no place like TST, there's no place like TST, there's no place like TST......"

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Click your heels together 3 times repeatiing "There's no place like TST, there's no place like TST, there's no place like TST......"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Oz references seem particularly appropriate here, as I think the premise of this thread is about as grounded in reality as flying monkeys, talking scarecrows, and houses landing on witches.

Quite simply, the putter is asked to make only one type of shot, from a perfect lie every time and for a pretty short distance with no hazards or obstacles - simply roll the ball.  And that "40%" of shots with the putter is kind of a misnomer, because roughly only half of them are shots of any length and the others could be tapped in the last few inches with a shovel.

But somehow, we only have 13 other clubs to have to deal with distances from 5-300 yards, from short grass, short rough, medium rough, deep rough, different types of grasses, hardpan, mud, sand, gravel, behind rocks, under trees, over trees, between trees, downhill, uphill, into the wind, with the wind, sideways in the wind,  high shots, low shots, bending left, bending right, over water, out of water.    And all those shots are just my yesterday's round!

The fact is that little creativity of feel is really needed with the putter, and the everyday golfer is already challenged extremely with having to apply finesse and creativity with only 13 other clubs in the bag.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

This reminded me of another very similar thread with an OP who shall remain nameless (unless you want to click on the link ) who had a similar thought process.

Same OP, actually.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Clambake

The Oz references seem particularly appropriate here, as I think the premise of this thread is about as grounded in reality as flying monkeys, talking scarecrows, and houses landing on witches.

Quite simply, the putter is asked to make only one type of shot, from a perfect lie every time and for a pretty short distance with no hazards or obstacles - simply roll the ball.  And that "40%" of shots with the putter is kind of a misnomer, because roughly only half of them are shots of any length and the others could be tapped in the last few inches with a shovel.

But somehow, we only have 13 other clubs to have to deal with distances from 5-300 yards, from short grass, short rough, medium rough, deep rough, different types of grasses, hardpan, mud, sand, gravel, behind rocks, under trees, over trees, between trees, downhill, uphill, into the wind, with the wind, sideways in the wind,  high shots, low shots, bending left, bending right, over water, out of water.    And all those shots are just my yesterday's round!

The fact is that little creativity of feel is really needed with the putter, and the everyday golfer is already challenged extremely with having to apply finesse and creativity with only 13 other clubs in the bag.


So why is it then, that it's the player who can putt well, who will always sort the men out from the boys?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by ShortOffTheTee

So why is it then, that it's the player who can putt well, who will always sort the men out from the boys?

That's not even close to true. The best putters on the PGA Tour miss cuts just like everyone else, and don't win every tournament. Sorry Patrick, that's a BIG reach.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Th3R00st3r

Why do we get sucked in??

That is a fantastic question, said the dummy who just spent 10 minutes posting in the other Patrick related thread for no apparent reason.

I have no idea why.

Argh!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Patrick picked a better avatar this time.  No matter how good his new avatar and user name are, the old Patrick always shows himself.

Originally Posted by Th3R00st3r

Why do we get sucked in??

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • He started off playing the first hole exactly how he should: fairway, 20-footer for birdie to the fat side of the green, tap-in par.
    • @iacas-Tho it is nice to be able to take your time and type out what you mean to say this is one of the downsides to a forum too-You have to respond to a whole bunch of crap and a person can get all of their thoughts out uninterrupted. If you were been sitting in a room with @natureboy and he started drawing that entirely stupid picture with the lines you could have cut him off and spared all of us the pain of having to watch him so badly miss the point. I bet @natureboy is still going to look at the response-And I bet he is still not going to see where he went wrong. But that is because he is just that way and he is unable to see how stupid his own posts are and how little they actually deal with golf swings. His stick drawing is exactly why you asked for a video-Even though he posted it after you asked. His errors and flaws and stupid thoughts would have been even more evident if he had actually tried to make a vid.
    • Or… golf is hard, and he got hot for awhile. Wouldn't be the first flash in the pan. We'll have to wait to see what the true version is. He could be quiet for ten years and then win a few majors.
    • That makes a great third bullet point. Or a first bullet point, bumping my two down.
    • This photo and the text above illustrate pretty well exactly why I and the entire moderation team is now done with you. The image fails on two levels: The center image is not representative of an actual good golf swing. The right hip is closer to the right foot in the center image, yet you maintain that it's farther away. Whether the second thing is done intentionally or accidentally I don't know. I don't care to know. But it's very representative of how you argue, and why you're now going to be prevented from arguing. You pervert arguments to the point where we're no longer discussing the golf swing. You get basic facts or concepts wrong (like when arguing about course rating, misunderstanding the radius vs. diameter in faulting the rating process for higher handicappers). You focus on some small thing - which often isn't even something anyone else has said - and lose sight of the forest or the big picture. You're not here to help golfers. You're here to "win" an argument, a goal that as yet is unmet, and you have to post absolute crap like the above to try to do it. I had a bit of free time this morning. So I responded to your last post in some detail. It, as one would expect, contains a number of typical @natureboy traits: cherry picking a photo while ignoring the concept, failure to understand basic points, perversion of the statements of others, putting words in the mouths of others, use of vague words like "a lot" (often in combination with the "putting words in the mouths of others), and hyper-focus on some small largely negligible point. Nobody else should waste their time to read the below, or open the spoiler and read that. It will not shed light on anything, it will not help you with your golf swing, and you will not glean any useful information. It exists simply as my last effort at illustrating to @natureboy a small part of the reason why we're tired of him… even though as I post it I know with certainty it too will fail. I gave you twenty warning points last night. It was made clear to you what you had to do, and you failed to do so, flaunting the requirement in several posts. The entire moderation team - @mvmac, @RandallT, @boogielicious, @jamo, @billchao, @nevets88, @mchepp, others - and myself have simply gotten sick and tired of your entire persona here. You're constantly and never-endingly arguing stuff to the point where you bastardize things so much you're no longer even talking about the golf swing, and you fail to comprehend or respond to what's written to you in response. You have two real choices once your current suspension is over: You can ignore these warnings, continue to be a belligerent arguer, and receive a final 50-point warning that will result in your permanent ban. You can avoid behaving in the manner that infuriates the entire moderation team. That will likely mean limiting the topics in which you post quite a bit, because though you fancy yourself to be capable of discussing the golf swing from a theoretical perspective, you've proven that you are not. Now, I want to be very clear about something. You're not being warned or "handled" because you disagree. You're being handled here because you contribute nothing positive. You're belligerent. You don't help people. You don't demonstrate anything. You pervert and distort topics in order to make a point that often has little or nothing to do with how people actually play golf. You're on a mission to "win" an argument, not to further the understanding. You speak as if you know and fail to ask questions, despite the holes in your logic and posts being constantly exposed as gaping. You quite often fail to read what's written, take a beat, and try to understand it. P.S. This requirement is anything but arbitrary. The list of reasons are long, the surface of which was only scratched in this post. Arbitrary would have been to say something like "to continue posting here you must dress up in a purple outfit and post a photo of yourself diving from a diving board into a pool of jello." Asking you to post a video illustrating your point is the opposite of arbitrary.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Catcher20
      Catcher20
      (27 years old)
    2. JD15
      JD15
      (52 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon