IGNORED

how to hit draw/hook

tuffluck
Note: This thread is 4092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have i20s which offer some playability, but I cannot hit a draw. I am very good with the fade/slice and use it frequently, but I just don't know what to do in order to make a draw work. I had been rolling my wrists more through impact, which works, but its inconsistent and I am not so sure it is good technique. I've read to close the clubface at address, but that doesn't work for me (although ironically open club face at address works beautifully when it comes to hitting a fade). Thanks for the tips.

Don't think about rolling your wrists. Concentrate on your swing path being in to out. Picture a clock face on the ground. Swinging straight back and straight through would be 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock. You want to swing more like 7 to 1. Point your club face open to the target, but closed to the swing path. If your club face is closed to the swing path, the ball will draw. But you need to start the ball right of the target (by aiming club face) and then make sure your swing path is further right than that. Does any of that make sense? Did I just confuse the issue more?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also, I know there are a ton of threads on this exact topic that already exist and probably contain much better information and diagrams / photos. I would do a search here on the forums first. I'm sure one of the forum vets can point you in the right direction with a link to an existing thread.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Here's a few more

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61391/shaping-the-ball

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread#post_785397

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

Don't think about rolling your wrists. Concentrate on your swing path being in to out. Picture a clock face on the ground. Swinging straight back and straight through would be 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock. You want to swing more like 7 to 1. Point your club face open to the target, but closed to the swing path.

If your club face is closed to the swing path, the ball will draw. But you need to start the ball right of the target (by aiming club face) and then make sure your swing path is further right than that.

Does any of that make sense? Did I just confuse the issue more?

yeah but if you swing 7 to 1, wouldn't the ball want to right unless the clubface is on a more closed line than 6 to 12?  i don't know if that made sense, but basically swinging in to out seems like you would be pushing the ball, and the only way to make that swing draw would be to severely close the clubface to compensate for your in to out swing?

I think you don't have to close the club face 'severely' to get that effect. But the face would have to be closed, relative to the path, yes. In fact, the '7-1' swing path would make a very slightly closed face seem even less closed than one might think.

Originally Posted by tuffluck

yeah but if you swing 7 to 1, wouldn't the ball want to right unless the clubface is on a more closed line than 6 to 12?  i don't know if that made sense, but basically swinging in to out seems like you would be pushing the ball, and the only way to make that swing draw would be to severely close the clubface to compensate for your in to out swing?

If you want your ball to end at your target AND you want it do draw to get there ... there's really only one way to start the ball for that to work.  It has to be a push.  So if you swing from 7 to 1, and your clubface is closed to that (say 12:40 maybe?) then that would produce a push-draw that you are looking for.

Just like Sofingaw said, there's nothing "severe" about it.  You need your swingpath slightly to the right, and your clubface also to the right but less right than the swing path to get your push-draw.

Note: This thread is 4092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!