IGNORED

36+ handicapper ball

Note: This thread is 3411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Agree, go to one of the many used ball sites, you can get great deals. Buying new, high end balls doesn't make sense if you aren't keeping the ball in play (golf is expensive enough!!). I've bought plenty of used balls in mint condition and they are excellent, and far less expensive than buying new.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

golfballsunlimited.com is a great website to order used & recycled balls from. Cheap and it gets to me usually in 2 business days.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on golfballsunlimited. great deals, fast shipping and high quality product. Buying recycled golf balls allows me to experiment with different brands without breaking the bank. I don't think you could go wrong with Bridgestone E6; long, straight and performs OK around the green.

I can't hit a Pro V1 worth a darn off the tee...way too much side spin for my game.

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker

Just keep in mind the following:

A new ProV1 will never carry the pond.

A used range ball will always make it over.

good god that's so true!

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged Wedge 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

• 2 weeks later...

I use any  Callaway ball that I can get that meets my standards. It has to be scuff free, the logo legible, and cheap. That makes it good enough for me.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

I go with Craigslist and lastgolfballs.com. Also, if there are any golf expos around you (I'm in St. Louis and they have one every year in Feb.), you can usually find vendors that will let you hand pick your balls and will negotiate on price.

Originally Posted by cwaldo5252

Am I wasting my money by thinking I have to use a pro v1 when I play because that is what the pros use? For my skill level is the ball even relevant? Should I be OK going to one of these websites that sell recycled golf balls and buy a bucket of 100 for $30 of lightly used balls.

As a 36+ handicapper, stay with a bucket of balls for $30. Just make sure these balls didn't sit underwater for a long, long time before being fished out. I've heard that a ball can lose 10 yards distance for every 3 months it sits underwater. You want to give yourself a chance at improving your golf so playing with some decent balls would help.

your game isn't ready or built for a tour ball. stick with the recycled balls because your just going to lose them anyway. when you improve then switch to a better ball. there are many facets of your game that you still need to work on before going with an expensive ball.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a similar question except my father lives next to a golf course and collects balls on his walks. I told him to give me pro v1s. Should I tell him to bring me a different ball? My handicap is also in the 30s.

Originally Posted by skins

I have a similar question except my father lives next to a golf course and collects balls on his walks. I told him to give me pro v1s. Should I tell him to bring me a different ball? My handicap is also in the 30s.

if you're getting proV1s for free (that's what it sounds like to me), then knock yourself out brotha!!

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged Wedge 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

Am I wasting my money by thinking I have to use a pro v1 when I play because that is what the pros use? For my skill level is the ball even relevant? Should I be OK going to one of these websites that sell recycled golf balls and buy a bucket of 100 for $30 of lightly used balls.

I'd highly advise not getting used balls. These are generally taken out of lakes. A golf balls cover is porous and can become easily waterlogged. Pros play Pro V1/x because of the control they get around the greens. Every golfer needs greenside control, no matter what there handicap is. The only reason not to play these balls is if they are out of your price range.

I definitely wouldn't use Pro V1's or any other "top end" ball. The balls that other users recommended (e6, DT solo, etc) are all good options. Check out some websites like rockbottomgolf.com where they sell bulk, used balls, for a good price. As a poster above me mentioned, lessons, and the driving range are a better place to spend the $$.

Why wouldn't you go for a top end ball?

You're wasting money and possibly hurting your game.  Even if you're not hurting your game, you're definitely wasting money.

Originally Posted by cwaldo5252

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This is a great question. A 36 handicapper is pretty high. Let me share with you my personal experience regarding Golf Balls.

High handicap balls to consider are

- Noodle (long and straight)

- TopFlight

- BridgeStone E6 or E7

- Callaway Warbird

- Taylormade Burner

Balls to NOT consider if you are a high handicap player

- Titleist Pro V1 or Pro V1x

- Callaway Hex Black

- Bridgestone 330 series

- Taylormade Penta TP5

Just my $0.02

If you're not paying for them, use the Pro V1's your buddy finds for you.  You might get a little more distance out of other balls but not enough to be worth paying for them if you get others for free.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!