Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Putting help (need to start taking it seriously)

3 posts in this topic

I've never had a putting lesson.  Everything I know about putting essentially comes from playing putt putt as a kid.  I've also never really practiced or worried about it too much, because my entire game sucked equally.  Now, it's becoming a serious liability.  Last round I played I hit three GIR that I then proceded to double bogey.  So assuming I'm starting from scratch (in terms of putting) how should I practice? I need a lot of help with distance control, starting the putt on the right line, etc.

Any tips would help, including stuff to do at home on a putting mat.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I too, have been working on putting consistency after a round where I opened up with a 41 (had a triple and double) then hit the first 5 greens in reg on the back nine but three putted them all. It of course ruined my mental game and I managed to only hit one more green that round and three putted it as well.

The one thing I found was that I wasn't maintaining constant grip pressure throughout the stroke and also had a little hip movement. I've been practicing on the steady grip pressure but found I needed to have a firmer grip throughout. When I tried to go with a light grip pressure, I started being inconsistent again. Put an emphasis on getting the clubface square at address as well as your alignment square. Then try to roll your putts over the first 3 feet of your intended line.

You could try putting a piece of masking tape on the flattest rug in your home (make sure the tape is straight) then try to keep the ball rolling on top of the tape.

Good luck.

I was watching a video on and one of the guys suggested using his putting practice metal yard stick that you could purchase for 35 bucks. His rationale was that by putting the ball on the stick and putting it, you'll see if your stroke was off because the ball would veer off to the left or right. I thought it was a great idea but instead of spending 35 bucks I went to Michaels and bought a metal ruler about 4ft and have been using that along with a new preputt routine and it is helping slowly but surely. Try that out to groove your stroke, it may help.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • I don't suggest doing that. Virtually every good player I've ever taught, myself, those I've talked to, etc. feel as though the "release" or the "squaring" of the clubface comes pretty naturally, not by something you're "making" happen. If you have to manually square the clubface, you've likely done something wrong earlier in the swing somewhere that's got you in a bad position. Also, most people who slice the ball already have the clubface pointed left of the target line at impact anyway. I don't know what the OP said since it's over a year old. And the OP hasn't been on the site since 2012.
    • A couple of things... I wonder if there's any chance of an anti-trust challenge, if the GS + {Dick's / GG} would give Dick's too large a share of the golf retail market. I'm not sure what % of total market share GS + GG would equal. Golf retailing currently floats in a condition of excess industrial capacity - more companies producing/selling a product category than the market can absorb. In such conditions, a shakeout usually occurs as weaker firms go bankrupt or voluntarily exit the market. What stronger firms often will do is buy up struggling firms to gain control of their capacity, and then have massive shutdowns of less profitable acquired sites. This is what Dick's is doing with their announced plan to  retain only 30 of 109 Golfsmith stores. The Golf Galaxy true superstores are superb, such as the Chesterfield Valley unit in St. Louis area. That said, the average Golfsmith store tends to have more hitting bays than Galaxy. And, a Golfsmith unit sometimes partners with a GolfTec lessons and fitting shop. As far as alternatives to golf superstores, I came across an article  a couple of weeks ago which says custom club-fitting shops are becoming more popular with golfers. I'll post the link if I can find it. Note: GolfTec and PGA of America struck a partnership for golf lessons in February. 
    • Don't get me wrong, I loved watching the old Tiger play, and I clearly think he's got the talent to do it, but his body holding up is his impediment. Gotta love his competitiveness and his confidence, but I just can't see that happening.
    • I ran across this from a photo archive. I do not remember whatever happened to it, but I should have kept it (along with a few other whimsical notions at the time); There is actually a tee'd up ball . Hard to see because of the angle and it blends into the tee box marker. The strip of plusher artificial grass simulates the feel of real turf. Not bad for ten minutes work. The markers are Christmas tree ornaments and are stuck into holes drilled into the hard mat and plywood. October 27, 2013 at 1:49pm · Like      This screen was soon ripped to shreds! I guess it needed very flexible or longer tethers.       I don't know how old this swing is, but although does not look too bad, was very much OTT.   
    • 38 + 40 = 78.  Blue tee at fossil trace. That's with 3 doubles, one bogey, one birdie and rest all pars.  I really need to work on avoiding stupid mistakes. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. Covert
      (73 years old)
    2. Robert Diddings
      Robert Diddings
      (32 years old)
  • Blog Entries