IGNORED

a simple handicap question, i hope

tuffluck
Note: This thread is 4082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

seems like the internet is full of different info on the handicap calculations.  and the USGA definitions are way too time consuming and cumbersome to sift through.

my handicap is about 16, but i haven't ever truly done a real calculation.  i just took the last 5 rounds i played (that included a few 8s) and plugged them into an online calculator to get 16.4.  thing is i remember giving myself a stroke on one of the rounds, plus i think i needed to adjust down some of the 8s, plus another couple of small rule violations that i know i probably shouldn't do for a real handicap.

so, help me do it right.  do i play 10 rounds, adjust the gross score to no more than a max of 7 on a hole, plug those into a calculator online and see what happens?  some google info said play 12 rounds and take the 10 best...and the USGA website says something about taking 96% of the average differential of rounds.  so, i'm not really sure what i need to do exactly.  it seems like it should be written much simpler somewhere, aka a 5 step process that is clear.

thanks for any help.

If you simply google:  How to calculate a USGA handicap Index...you will get your answer.

You take the best 10 scores of your last 20 rounds.

If you haven't played 20 rounds...then you use a different number based on how many you have played.

You take your gross score for each round, and use this formula in order to get your differential

Handicap Differential = ( Adjusted Gross Score - USGA Course Rating ) x 113 / Slope Rating

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just click here and read:

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-10/

Also, your max score per hole isn't always a 7.  Its based on your handicap.  If you are a 20-29 Handicap, you can take an 8 on any hole.

Much more complicated than that.

Quote:

A Handicap Differential is computed from four elements: adjusted gross score , Course Rating , Slope Rating , and 113(the Slope Rating of a course of standard difficulty). To determine the Handicap Differential , subtract the Course Rating from the adjusted gross score ; multiply the difference by 113; then divide the resulting number by the Slope Rating . Round the final number to the nearest tenth.

http://www.rcga.org/_uploads/documents/Golf_Canada_Handicap_Manual_2012.pdf

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

• Administrator
Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

You take the best 10 differentials of your last 20 rounds.

FTFY

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I just take my average stroke result counting all my games even the worst (officially countable, not scramble or others stupids).

I get my stroke average. it's usually 2x my paper handicap.

I just take my average stroke result counting all my games even the worst (officially countable, not scramble or others stupids). I get my stroke average. it's usually 2x my paper handicap.

What?! This makes no sense.

Originally Posted by bubble

I just take my average stroke result counting all my games even the worst (officially countable, not scramble or others stupids).

Utter nonsense. Your stroke average will be something like 84, so you paper handicap is 42?

Originally Posted by bubble

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

What?! This makes no sense.

Originally Posted by MacDutch

Utter nonsense. Your stroke average will be something like 84, so you paper handicap is 42?

I'm gonna guess he probably means in relation to par.  So, just for fun, I tried that.  I took all of my last 20 scores, and for those I am 262 over par.  These were my adjusted scores, so maybe add 15 or so if I'm doing ESC backwards, so call it 277 over par.  That comes to 13.8.  That means by his math, my handicap should be 6.9.  Technically it's 9.0 right now so ...

Yeah, it's nonsense.

Utter nonsense. Your stroke average will be something like 84, so you paper handicap is 42?:no:

I'm guessing that he means with respect to strokes to par..... Averaging an 84 would be an average of 12 over par. His reported hcp is 6. Regardless though, that estimation has nothing to do with the manner that handicaps are actually calculated. Edited to add that Golfingdad beat me to it.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by MacDutch

so..... you'r a sandbagger?

According to the French way of figuring handicaps, apparently. ;)

(Not sure how I'll convince all of my competitors from my last tournament, since I came in LAST place)

thanks, that's nice you take 10 best rounds/differentials out of 20.  i didn't realize they gave you that luxury, or for that matter the luxury of only taking a max of 7.  in this case, 7 applies to me because the last 3 rounds my handicap came to 16.5.  now i realize i need at least 5 rounds, but i'm assuming the 16.5 will stay the same or even potentially go down over the next two rounds.  the crazy thing is my last 3 round my unadjusted scores have been 92, 98, and 106.  all the courses have had a slope over 135, so i guess i'm just playing hard courses since 16.5 handicap implies i should be shooting an 88.  a 106 is bad for me as i almost always break 100.  in fact i pretty much gave up on that round on hole 10 and had like a 57 on the back 9.  slope of 140 and rating of 75, i'll give myself a break.

Originally Posted by tuffluck

thanks, that's nice you take 10 best rounds/differentials out of 20.  i didn't realize they gave you that luxury, or for that matter the luxury of only taking a max of 7.  in this case, 7 applies to me because the last 3 rounds my handicap came to 16.5.  now i realize i need at least 5 rounds, but i'm assuming the 16.5 will stay the same or even potentially go down over the next two rounds.  the crazy thing is my last 3 round my unadjusted scores have been 92, 98, and 106.  all the courses have had a slope over 135, so i guess i'm just playing hard courses since 16.5 handicap implies i should be shooting an 88.  a 106 is bad for me as i almost always break 100.  in fact i pretty much gave up on that round on hole 10 and had like a 57 on the back 9.  slope of 140 and rating of 75, i'll give myself a break.

but now you have to figure in course handicap - that 16.5 on a 140 slope is actually a course handicap of 20, meaning your ESC score is 8.

But, without an official handicap - ESC is meaningless, since you are not posting to an official system.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

oh, yeah i don't know about ESC at all.  the course was ridiculous though i can say.  greens were the size of an olympic swimming pool with 4-6 tiers in each ranging in 6-12 feet of elevation.  my playing partner had about a 150ft putt down the tiers on one particular hole, barely tapped it and the ball rolled across the green and then off of it 30 yards into the fairway into a lake.  i told him before he putt he was probably better off putting it into the sand trap and hitting out.  turns out i was right

so do *most* people get an official handicap, or just do it on their own like i'm doing?

oh, yeah i don't know about ESC at all.  the course was ridiculous though i can say.  greens were the size of an olympic swimming pool with 4-6 tiers in each ranging in 6-12 feet of elevation.  my playing partner had about a 150ft putt down the tiers on one particular hole, barely tapped it and the ball rolled across the green and then off of it 30 yards into the fairway into a lake.  i told him before he putt he was probably better off putting it into the sand trap and hitting out.  turns out i was right :-P so do *most* people get an official handicap, or just do it on their own like i'm doing?

I would say that most people do not have an official handicap. However, I would guess that a majority of the members of this forum do have an official USGA handicap index.

It's so easy to join a club I don't understand why someone wouldn't. Personally just knowing that a score, good or bad, can affect my index makes me want to play as well as I can. I don't think I'd have the same motivation if I was maintaining an unofficial handicap. Can't wait until the offseason ends. I've been playing better than my handicap and it's getting old not having scores affect it.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 4082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!