IGNORED

My Swing (divot dave)

divot dave
Note: This thread is 2195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
My latest swing... fyi, I'm coming off one of the most severe cases of the shanks I could possibly imagine. I made changes at setup out of desperation and as of the last few weeks, I've been hitting the ball much better (less shanks). This swing is with my pw, and I'm working on my full swing getting forward shaft lean at impact and also engaging my lower body more throughout the down swing. One of the consequences of the improved impact is a slight pull, but consistent enough to be able to just aim more left to hit my target.

Sorry I don't have a face on... wouldn't work out with the lighting.

How's the "pump drill" stuff going, the "getting the arms down faster" pieces.

The backswing looks good, downswing too… to a point, I'd still love to see the arms getting down a bit more, but it could be better than it looks from DTL.

Shanks can be caused by the body staying too closed and the trail arm extending a bit prematurely. It shoves the hosel out at the ball just a little. Shanks, remember, are awfully darn close to a great shot, so don't beat yourself up too much. The fix is often pretty simple.

To that point… back up and inch and take out half of that knee flex. IIRC, we had to do that when you were here in Erie too, right? Much less knee flex… You'll round down just a little more so you'll still be able to reach the ball just fine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My latest swing... fyi, I'm coming off one of the most severe cases of the shanks I could possibly imagine. I made changes at setup out of desperation and as of the last few weeks, I've been hitting the ball much better (less shanks). This swing is with my pw, and I'm working on my full swing getting forward shaft lean at impact and also engaging my lower body more throughout the down swing. One of the consequences of the improved impact is a slight pull, but consistent enough to be able to just aim more left to hit my target.

Sorry I don't have a face on... wouldn't work out with the lighting.

comments? suggestions?

many thanks

What is the typical direction of your shots?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

How's the "pump drill" stuff going, the "getting the arms down faster" pieces.

The pump drill was going good... until I developed the shanks on my full swings... not blaming it on the drill, but it was so bad that literally more than 60% of my shots were hosel rockets. I became desperate and abandoned all drills to focus on not shanking...

To that point… back up and inch and take out half of that knee flex.

I'm with you here, and have been working that back in occasionally, problem is... it was the knee flex that seemed to be the "fix" to the shanks... one practice session, I addressed the ball, knees really bent, and for whatever reason, started hitting the ball center of the club face. However, the more I've thought about it, the more I think that the real cure to my shanking was due to getting my lower body more involved in the swing... sort of what you allude to here:

Shanks can be caused by the body staying too closed and the trail arm extending a bit prematurely.

This video demonstrates this pretty well I believe... I took it at the height of my shanking woes

to a point, I'd still love to see the arms getting down a bit more, but it could be better than it looks from DTL.

I'm not sure we covered this during my visit...  Could you unpack what this a little?

To that point… back up and inch and take out half of that knee flex. IIRC, we had to do that when you were here in Erie too, right? Much less knee flex… You'll round down just a little more so you'll still be able to reach the ball just fine.

Will do, I'm also gonna work on that pump drill again as I've mellowed out considerably on the shanks the last couple weeks.

Thanks @iacas for the input, hoping to get another visit in before the snow melts... will let you know.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

What is the typical direction of your shots?

recently, and you can even see it in this video... the direction of my iron shots have been pulls... usually drawing or straight... no slices thankfully. The distance I've gained in recent weeks has been pleasantly surprising, about a club and a half on 7-pw... so I'm not sure how much I want to avoid the pulling and just adjust my aim... lol

IN MY BAG

• 11 months later...

Getting back on the saddle... I've been off for quite some time now, relocated the family (the ENTIRE family) to Charlotte, NC. After moving around a bit, finally purchased a house and getting settled in. Golf has necessarily fallen by the wayside up until recently. I still played occasionally, but did not practice much, had to focus on the kids getting adjusted and what not... 

anywho... for whoever is paying attention, here's the most recent trip to the range. working on key 3, inline impact. I picked up a tip on youtube... "driving my trail palm toward and thru the ball" as a swing feel...and I wanted to see what impact that would have on things. 

the above is what things looked like starting out...

below is some slow mo footage toward the end of my session

I got a decent amount more shaft lean... but there are a number of other things I don't like... not sure what to really zero in on here

IN MY BAG

• Administrator

Okay, so… @divot dave

I'd focus on a few things right now.

1. Watch that left hand grip. It's pretty far on top of the club ("weak").
  2. Watch how much the head goes forward on the downswing. Look at the finish - you're well forward.

In other words, I'd worry about Key #2 right now - weight forward properly, not with your head moving forward quite a bit.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

thanks @iacas... the video isn't very flattering, but it tells the truth. :8)

I appreciate the help

IN MY BAG

lol, guess I've been "faking" the weight forward... 

http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php#video_playback

good video, gonna try this asap

weight fake.PNG

5sk weight forwqrd.PNG

IN MY BAG

so I did some work over the weekend... focused on keeping my head still on the down swing and using a stronger grip with my left hand.

managed to tone down the lateral head movement some. I swear it felt like I wasn't budging at all, but the video tells a different story. 

I took some slow mo footage but it didn't come out very well, so not going to post it here. 

IN MY BAG

• Administrator

Left hand grip still very weak.

Narrower stance, feet out more. Narrower stances help prevent swaying.

You may have to feel like you head is moving backward on the downswing to get it to stay centered.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

good points, thanks gentlemen

IN MY BAG

did some work this weekend... pump drill below:

couple of swings from dtl:

some slow mo: 

I was trying to incorporate a stronger grip and keeping my head "back", but when the camera is running, I tend to rush cuz it chews up so much battery and storage. rushing = old habits... but I feel as tho I'm making progress overall. 

IN MY BAG

You're still moving your whole upper body forward. Have you tried the "squish the ball" drill? I often do that drill, but without a ball. I just get to the top and think of clicking a footswitch with my lead foot to start the downswing - a footswitch that takes a lot of pressure to click. Try to click that switch hard while keeping the head back. Like @14ledo81 said, you may need to feel like your head is moving back.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

1 minute ago, Ernest Jones said:

You're still moving your whole upper body forward. Have you tried the "squish the ball" drill? I often do that drill, but without a ball. I just get to the top and think of clicking a footswitch with my lead foot to start the downswing - a footswitch that takes a lot of pressure to click. Try to click that switch hard while keeping the head back. Like @14ledo81 said, you may need to feel like your head is moving back.

I'm familiar with the drill you're referring to, but haven't tried it out yet... 

i'll try to work that in this week some. 

Believe it or not, I really did practice @14ledo81's suggestion, (as well as @iacas's recommendation for a narrower stance) but those are new feels to me altogether, and there's just not enough reps in yet to really show... Like I said, I tend to rush and revert when the camera's rolling. Gonna keep working on these tho. 

Thanks for the input. :beer:

IN MY BAG

See if you can get someone to hold the butt end of a club along side your head (target side), and try a few swings like that.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

1 hour ago, 14ledo81 said:

See if you can get someone to hold the butt end of a club along side your head (target side), and try a few swings like that.

I'll try, but easier said than done at the moment... no golf buddies out here yet. 

:no:

IN MY BAG

• 2 years later...

shaking off the winter cobwebs, and a little too much time away from the course. Been practicing a lot of tempo drills lately, but here's a sampling of work done concentrating on key 2: weight forward. 

I see that I have a lot of head drift still... so really, its back to the drawing board on keys 1 & 2

IN MY BAG

Note: This thread is 2195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!