IGNORED

When do you replace the ball

Note: This thread is 4047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Assuming you dont loose the ball when do you replace the ball you play with ? What condition ? After how many rounds ?

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

Presuming I don't lose it I will play the same ball for at least 6 rounds. But I use the entire sleeve in rotation. Maybe not a perfect rotation have played same ball for 3 rounds straight before a swap.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

normally I will only play it a round.  Then I make it a chipping ball.  I also keep these type of balls in my bag for holes that I am thinking I might try to go over water or in scrambles when you try shots you shouldn't and could loose your ball. But if I am playing in a tourney like league, club championship, etc, I will use a new ball every 6 holes at least.  Then use them when I play in my normal group.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

I was wondering if you need to alert your playing partners when changing out a ball in tournaments? Just as a courtesy and so that if the number on the ball has changed people will know it and not think you are trying to pull a fast one if searching for a ball.

I always play the same ball when I play.  If my new ball is the same number I don't care, but if it is a different number I always say on the T that my ball number has changed.  There really shouldn't matter if you have a specific way that you mark your ball(unless you lose a lot of balls).

That is my ball after 2 rounds of 18 holes each. Would u change ? [IMG] [/IMG]

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

Really depends for me, so many factors. If it hits a tree or cart path on the 1st hole I'm done with it. Some balls make it a long time without needing to be replace for whatever reason.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by achadha7

That is my ball after 2 rounds of 18 holes each. Would u change ?

Hell no!  That sounds like a lucky ball to me if it's lasted that long.

This is just a problem that does not apply to me as I will almost always lose a ball before it becomes unplayable.  On the occasions when a ball lasts awhile (usually only when I play a course with lots parallel holes and little water) I will only stop using it once it's got a few bad scuff marks from trees or cart paths.

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

I was wondering if you need to alert your playing partners when changing out a ball in tournaments? Just as a courtesy and so that if the number on the ball has changed people will know it and not think you are trying to pull a fast one if searching for a ball.

I don't think you have to ... but you'd be kinda dumb not to.  They know what you were playing on the first tee, so why keep that information to yourself later if you change?  If you don't tell them, you're only inviting more possible problems or conflicts.

In tournaments like sectionals and AJGA I switch every 3 holes rotating between three balls. I keep the same if I'm playing good though like bird-par-bird. I just use 1 if I play by myself or friends.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Originally Posted by achadha7

That is my ball after 2 rounds of 18 holes each. Would u change ?

You played it so long that it changed color!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Hell no!  That sounds like a lucky ball to me if it's lasted that long. :beer: This is just a problem that does not apply to me as I will almost always lose a ball before it becomes unplayable.  On the occasions when a ball lasts awhile (usually only when I play a course with lots parallel holes and little water) I will only stop using it once it's got a few bad scuff marks from trees or cart paths.

Last ball lasted 3 rounds before it went ob on a major shank and i lost it normally i have been going 3-4 rounds before loosing a ball but now that i have said that i hope i dont loose 1 today

You played it so long that it changed color!   :-D

Lol easier to spot :) and i dont need to mark it :)

I never replace, they decide to leave me when it is time.

The longest I have had one last was 46 holes - it pissed me off because it was lost in the rough right off of the fairway.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I know none of us are ever going pro or going to be on the PGA Tour.  But does anyone know how often Tour players change there balls in a round.  I know they don't have to pay for balls because of sponsors, but do they go 3 holes, 9 or a full round? Do they have a limit of how many balls they can carry in a bag?

If I was a tour player, I would change every hole so that I know my ball was in new condition every hole and that It didn't have any scuff marks or anything wrong with it after playing a hole.

I've been using 18 golf balls per round my entire life. I never even thought about removing it from the cup after I hole out each time. Now I feel silly. Actually, I use a ball for 1 round, or until it gets scuffed from a tree or cart path. Assuming I don't lose it during the round.

Note: This thread is 4047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!