IGNORED

What are your loft degrees in the wedges you carry?

awsmith0454
Note: This thread is 4048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Currently, I have a 60* lob, 56* sand wedge, and standard 46* pitching wedge.  Just curious as to what others are carrying and why they carry the wedges they do.

Also, I feel I need a gap wedge to get to yardages in between my pitching and sand wedges.  Any advice on what to get?  Currently, I have Titleist AP1 712 irons and Cleveland wedges.  Would you recommend going with a gap wedge that matches my iron set, or one that matches my wedges?

Thanks

That's a pretty big gap between your 46* and 56*. I'd say split the middle and get 51* or bend a 52* to 51*. I like my wedges to all be more or less matched. I currently have a Mizuno MP-T11 60/08, a Nike SV Tour 56/12 and a TNT 52* (no idea what the bounce is, I bought it at a flea market for $8). There all different makes and models but very similar in appearance and feel. Can't stand CBs on a wedge

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by awsmith0454

Is your preference for a wedge without a CB mainly for feel?  I've been playing for around 2 years now and just now getting into different types of equipment.

Mental.

I feel like I can be more precise with a muscle back wedge therefor I am.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I understand that completely.  Lately, I have been dead on with a full swing wedge shot with my 60* and 56* (Generally 75 yards for the lob and ~100 with the sand).  On the other hand, I love the feel of my Titleist PW, which is CB.  Just debating on what I should get that will be best for me if/when I improve.

I have a 45.5 PW, 50 UW, 54.5 SW and 59 LW.  The P and U are part of the iron set and the P came stock at 46.  The S and L are not part of the set (but are also Ping so not drastically different) and were stock at 54 and 58.  My fitter thought I should have even gaps so he bent the P, S and L.  (my 9 iron is 41, so all gaps from there down are 4.5 degrees)

Keep in mind though, that doesn't necessarily equate to even yardage gaps.  There is definitely a bigger gap between the U and the S for me.  Possibly attributable to not usually taking hard swings with the S, but regardless I have been considering making the S stronger or the U weaker ... maybe 51.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

That's a pretty big gap between your 46* and 56*. I'd say split the middle and get 51* or bend a 52* to 51*.

I agree with Ernest that you might want to consider something in between those 2.  Until I got my new clubs in August, I had almost the exact same gap (47-56 actually).  It's nice to not have to stress over a 30 yard hole at the bottom of my set anymore.  Now I get to stress over not being able to hit them correctly. :)

However, if you get something and know you're going to bend it, I'd go the other way.  If you need 51, then bend a 50, because bounce is your friend and you want more of it, not less. :)

Originally Posted by awsmith0454

Sounds fairly similar to what's in my bag.  Is your gap wedge matched to your PW or to your other wedges?

Assuming you are talking to me since it was the post directly below mine, all the wedges are Cleveland CG15. My irons are matched 6-9i, recently ditched my 5i for a 5 hybrid.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I agree with Ernest that you might want to consider something in between those 2.  Until I got my new clubs in August, I had almost the exact same gap (47-56 actually).  It's nice to not have to stress over a 30 yard hole at the bottom of my set anymore.  Now I get to stress over not being able to hit them correctly. :)

That's exactly what I'm dealing with now.  Choking down on my PW or trying to blast my 56* normally results in a less than stellar shot.  I believe I've settled on the degree (around 52*), but am now just deciding whether to go with a Titleist AP1 712 gap, or go with a newer Cleveland with zip grooves.  Any input?  And thanks for the reply.

52* 56* 60* callaway jaws cc wedges and a standard pitching wedge

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I have a 45.5 PW, 50 UW, 54.5 SW and 59 LW.  The P and U are part of the iron set and the P came stock at 46.  The S and L are not part of the set (but are also Ping so not drastically different) and were stock at 54 and 58.  My fitter thought I should have even gaps so he bent the P, S and L.  (my 9 iron is 41, so all gaps from there down are 4.5 degrees)

Keep in mind though, that doesn't necessarily equate to even yardage gaps.  There is definitely a bigger gap between the U and the S for me.  Possibly attributable to not usually taking hard swings with the S, but regardless I have been considering making the S stronger or the U weaker ... maybe 51.

However, if you get something and know you're going to bend it, I'd go the other way.  If you need 51, then bend a 50, because bounce is your friend and you want more of it, not less. :)

Excellent point, amazing how much I learn on here!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

PW from both of the sets I carry is 46°. Then I use a 50°, 54°, and 58°.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

44* PW, 49* GW, 54* SW and 58* LW.  As far as matching vs blade, I think its more a matter of personal preference.  Some people like the forgiveness of a CB wedge, others prefer the feel of a blade wedge.  Personally, I prefer a CB wedge because I feel its more forgiving of mishits and gives me more of a margin of error.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

48 - 125 yds

54 - 105 yds

60 - 85 yds

I have blades for wedges because I have blades for 8-pw. There is nothing wrong with cavity back but once I got to a certain skill level, I could appreciate the muscle backs more. In my case there is about a 20 yard distance between PW, SW, and LW. In my regular clubs I have about 12-13 yard spacing. If I grip down on the PW it goes 120, shorten the backswing and I get 115. A firmer swing with the SW can get 110 and 115 if I stand on it, but I don't do that too often because it will spin like crazy. Same with the 54 and 60.  My irons are Titleist 735 cms with the S300 and my wedges are Titleist Vokey TVDs with S200.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

48 - 125 yds

54 - 105 yds

60 - 85 yds

I have blades for wedges because I have blades for 8-pw. There is nothing wrong with cavity back but once I got to a certain skill level, I could appreciate the muscle backs more. In my case there is about a 20 yard distance between PW, SW, and LW. In my regular clubs I have about 12-13 yard spacing. If I grip down on the PW it goes 120, shorten the backswing and I get 115. A firmer swing with the SW can get 110 and 115 if I stand on it, but I don't do that too often because it will spin like crazy. Same with the 54 and 60.  My irons are Titleist 735 cms with the S300 and my wedges are Titleist Vokey TVDs with S200.

but I want those irons badly! Carry on...

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 4048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!