IGNORED

Weight Forward - Using SwingCatalyst and SAM Balance Lab to Explain Pressure Throughout the Swing

david_wedzik
Note: This thread is 3250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Some answers:

It's incredibly difficult, having made a backswing, to have your weight forward with a centered pivot without looking incredibly awkward. And look at how ridiculous 68% left looks.

Andrew Rice has similar results:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

FWIW, here are a few static photos. Guess the weight distribution in each. For simplicity, just guess the weight distribution on the left side as a percentage of total weight (again, static, so weight = pressure here). So (and these are not the answers) you could say: 11, 22, 33 for weight left (Dave's left foot, not the left of the photo) as your answer. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/70047/] [/URL]

That middle one looks oddly familiar... At least I know about where my weight is at A4.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

Full-size images btw:

To be fair the 56% number is either in the process of flipping to 57% or was finishing up changing to 56 from 57. I caught it mid-screen-update.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Is the white tracer dot found within the pressure data presented in the right frames - which is placed between the lead and trail foot... A reflection from Dave's head?

I am surprised nobody has picked up on this little tid-bit - Ihope I can edit this properly: [quote name="iacas" url="/t/64993/weight-forward-using-swingcatalyst-and-sam-balance-lab-to-explain-pressure-throughout-the-swing/36#post_813684"] The S&T; DVDs clearly weren't synced. They're showing numbers at A5 or A6 or so for a lot of their players. The SAM (and the SC) both measure things virtually the same. The SC will guess at placing the three triangles. The SAM doesn't even guess, so even something as simple as how much you wiggle your feet at address and/or how long after you start recording and the player actually swings will change how far off the sync is. Now, I don't think they did that on purpose (messed up the sync), but I think they didn't know how what they were using worked... Sync is important, or else you get shots like the two pictures we showed at the end of the video. [/quote] [quote name="iacas" url="/t/64993/weight-forward-using-swingcatalyst-and-sam-balance-lab-to-explain-pressure-throughout-the-swing/54#post_816463"][URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/70283/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/70284/] [/URL] [/quote] And look at those other pictures you posted Holy Mother.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

I am surprised nobody has picked up on this little tid-bit - I hope I can edit this properly:

Don't think anyone wants to apply their fingertips to a potato that hot.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Yeah they've done those before. What I remember is good players are fairly firm throughout, but with shockingly even pressure, while poor players are loose, then hang on for dear life on the downswing with a highly variable amount of pressure.

That would be me :-p

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by iacas

Some answers:

It's incredibly difficult, having made a backswing, to have your weight forward with a centered pivot without looking incredibly awkward. And look at how ridiculous 68% left looks.

Yes, I was doing the above 68% lean left extension experiment (left pic) yesterday at the range - I probably did it because I looked at some S&T; 2.0 Sunday night and they were telling you to extend even more to get the club away from you for speed. It felt incredibly awkward getting back to the ball ... not good results, as expected. It makes one tense and then you've lost it. And then I remembered - lean left doesn't mean lean towards the target. I knew that. And then I quit doing it. lol.

Many see "lean left" as in the pic -- but "lean left" to me means follow the front shoulder.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Stretch

Possibly. But I'm sure you get what's being said, Andrew. It's not like we are being coy about it. Granted, it's not the main focus of the video at all , but it's right there, plain for all to see.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Is the white tracer dot found within the pressure data presented in the right frames - which is placed between the lead and trail foot... A reflection from Dave's head?

The center of pressure.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Yes, I was doing the above 68% lean left extension experiment (left pic) yesterday at the range - I probably did it because I looked at some S&T; 2.0 Sunday night and they were telling you to extend even more to get the club away from you for speed. It felt incredibly awkward getting back to the ball ... not good results, as expected. It makes one tense and then you've lost it. And then I remembered - lean left doesn't mean lean towards the target. I knew that. And then I quit doing it. lol.

That's beside the point of that part of this thread, though.

In the 2.0 DVDs they give numbers (data) - like the one in post #42 in this thread - that are clearly wrong. They're saying "this is hard data" (not a "feel"), and the data is undeniably incorrect. They either didn't know what they were doing with their technology or they intentionally manipulated the numbers (I do not think for one second it is the latter).

Feels don't work for everyone, and you can't tell someone "look at this PGA Tour player, he gets 67% of his weight left at the top of the backswing" (when his pressure is 65% RIGHT and his weight is 53% right), or 70%, or 81% (!!!!!) because that's data, and someone actually achieving those numbers will look ****ing ridiculous trying to get those numbers. Look at Dave in that one where he's 68% left. Or even the 56.5% left one. Who wants to play golf from those positions?

Good point.

Thank you. Back on topic.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Most impressive, and very clearly explained. I've seen (and given) a lot of presentations of complex scientific data in my time and this is up there - kudos. The sync issue that was dwelled on reminds me of systematic errors that can occur in my own field (predictive pharmacology). They need to be taken VERY seriously, as you guys are doing here. Otherwise data can be totally misleading. I need to think about what all this means for me. One obvious point, true of many hackers like me, is that I don't fully complete the weight shift forward, I.e. I tend to hang back a tad towards the end. Not dynamic enough of a move post transition - 'white circle' not moving forward fast enough. The other thing is maybe I'm putting too much pressure on the trailing foot at transition (trailing knee quite flexed) - more like 25L75T or even 20L80T, that's how it feels to me anyway - and should have less flex on the trailing leg at the top maybe. I used to lean towards the target on the backswing (ugh ..) and may have overcompensated. Excellent stuff, much food for thought. Thanks for sharing.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Quote:

Possibly. But I'm sure you get what's being said, Andrew.  It's not like we are being coy about it.  Granted, it's not the main focus of the video at all, but it's right there, plain for all to see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

That's beside the point of that part of this thread, though.

In the 2.0 DVDs they give numbers (data) - like the one in post #42 in this thread - that are clearly wrong. They're saying "this is hard data" (not a "feel"), and the data is undeniably incorrect. They either didn't know what they were doing with their technology or they intentionally manipulated the numbers (I do not think for one second it is the latter).

Feels don't work for everyone, and you can't tell someone "look at this PGA Tour player, he gets 67% of his weight left at the top of the backswing" (when his pressure is 65% RIGHT and his weight is 53% right), or 70%, or 81% (!!!!!) because that's data, and someone actually achieving those numbers will look ****ing ridiculous trying to get those numbers. Look at Dave in that one where he's 68% left. Or even the 56.5% left one. Who wants to play golf from those positions?

Yea, teaching it as a feel is one thing... like if a player's hips are shifting back for example. Teaching it as an absolute leads to serious damn problems.

Constantine

• 3 months later...

I like how the clowns in the studio ever-so-subtly signaled they thought it was bullshit before the segment even started ...

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• Administrator

I like how the clowns in the studio ever-so-subtly signaled they thought it was bullshit before the segment even started ...

Asshats, the both of them.

So stupid.

Quote:

Asshats, the both of them.

So stupid.

So lemme get this straight because I missed this episode of on the range. Harmon and Kratzert were doing that to make fun of the segment, or was that a carry over from their previous segment? Obviously it appears to be the former by your response here, but I'm just looking for confirmation.

Constantine

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

So lemme get this straight because I missed this episode of on the range. Harmon and Kratzert were doing that to make fun of the segment, or was that a carry over from their previous segment? Obviously it appears to be the former by your response here, but I'm just looking for confirmation.

If my memory serves ... they teased the segment prior to a commercial break, and this was the first segment coming back from the break, and I don't think they had been playing with all of the gadgets prior to the commercial.

FWIW, I didn't pay any attention to them, and didn't really even see it as insulting or anything while watching it.  Not until Stretch pointed it out today. :)

(What it's "worth" is probably simply more proof that I'm a dufus. :))

Note: This thread is 3250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!