IGNORED

Why is it called the european team in the ryder cup?

Blitz28179
Note: This thread is 4075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's called that because that's what it is. No South American, African, Asian, Australian, North American or Antarctic golfers can be on the European team.

So, although it is a multinational team, it is not a world team. And I don't know the specific numbers, but I bet the population of all of Europe is close to or less than that of the US.

I don't think the US is at a distinct disadvantage based on how the Ryder Cup is organized. Maybe just outclassed recently by better players!

If it WAS a worldwide team, to include Europe, I think the US would get dominated all day every day. Give the Euro team the world golf class, such as Louis Oosthuizen, Charl Schwartzel, Adam Scott, and maybe a Thongchai Jaidee... we would get smashed.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So all the guys thats not eligible for ryder cup team are for the presidents cup?

Yes.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Blitz28179

Thanks for the info

As an aside, originally the matches were just the U.S. vs Great Britain.  The rest of Europe wasn't included until 1979.

The President's Cup started in 1994.  Good grief......hard to believe it's been around 20 years already!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

As an aside, originally the matches were just the U.S. vs Great Britain.  The rest of Europe wasn't included until 1979.

The President's Cup started in 1994.  Good grief......hard to believe it's been around 20 years already!

Originally US V GB and became US V GB & Ireland in 1971, though Irish and Channel Islanders had played previously, as you say then became the US V Europe in 1979.

Note: This thread is 4075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!