IGNORED

My Swing (MasonAsher2014)

MasonAsher2014
Note: This thread is 1423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 14 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 5.6

My typical ball flight is: HIGH

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: in between draw/hook

Videos:

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A couple of things:  Either you are Spider Man and that is the most severe sidehill lie ever ... or your video came out sideways. It's kind of hard to watch.

Secondly, it's better if you "embed" the video instead of just posting the link  (all you have to do is click on the little film icon at the top of the dialog bog and paste it in there), that way we can watch it right here.

Lastly, the instructors will all tell you that they don't like giving tips to people based off of practice swings.

(From what I can tell, your swing looks nice though :))

OK. I will retake a video of actually hitting the ball. and I will embed. I also will turn Spiderman power off.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

• 2 years later...

I'm down to a .7 handicap now, let me know what you think about my swing now!

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

What's your miss?

Couldn't hurt to turn your right foot out and free up your hips turn. Or at least not have the knees rotated inward at address. Notice how your torso turn is about 90 degrees, and that's with a driver. You don't turn enough and creates some issues with how your arms load. Would be interested to see a dtl swing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

What's your miss? Couldn't hurt to turn your right foot out and free up your hips turn. Or at least not have the knees rotated inward at address. Notice how your torso turn is about 90 degrees, and that's with a driver. You don't turn enough and creates some issues with how your arms load. Would be interested to see a dtl swing. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/129959/] [/URL] [CONTENTEMBED=/t/78207/why-flaring-your-feet-at-address-makes-golf-easier layout=block] [/CONTENTEMBED] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/129957/] [/URL]

I will start flaring out a bit. I just realized that I haven't been doing that. I'll get a few dtl posted tomorrow. My miss right now is a push fade but I have been hitting a light draw and hitting right at 10 fws a round my last 5 rounds.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

How do you guys think these look? @mvmac here are some DTL

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

Better.

- Make sure the knees aren't pinched inward.

- Keep turning while keeping the pressure points in place. Will make sure that when the pivot stops, the arms also stop. Important for when you start moving into the downswing stuff.

Mike McLoughlin

Better.

- Make sure the knees aren't pinched inward.

- Keep turning while keeping the pressure points in place. Will make sure that when the pivot stops, the arms also stop. Important for when you start moving into the downswing stuff.

Interesting video, am I turning my lower body enough? And my main concern, how does the grip look?

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

Interesting video, am I turning my lower body enough? And my main concern, how does the grip look?

Would like to see you turn the hips more.

Tough to tell about the grip, video is dark. Earlier video looks like the right thumb is on top of the grip.

Mike McLoughlin

Would like to see you turn the hips more. Tough to tell about the grip, video is dark. Earlier video looks like the right thumb is on top of the grip.  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/75436/how-to-grip-a-golf-club-commonalities-of-a-functional-golf-grip layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

I would agree my hip turn is probably not enough. I will try and start turning them a bit more.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

• 7 months later...

Let me know what you guys see, I am working on weakening my grip so I am really trying to generate more forearm rotation because everything I hit is a block. This was before I started working on this stuff though.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

• Administrator

High-speed footage from the right angle are important. Particularly when you get into the lower single digits.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:

High-speed footage from the right angle are important. Particularly when you get into the lower single digits.

True, I'll do that tomorrow on the range.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

Here are two videos I took today on a par 3. 8I carried about 160 dead over the flag, a bit better than my last videos.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

On 8/15/2015 at 4:22 PM, MasonAsher2014 said:

I'm down to a .7 handicap now, let me know what you think about my swing now!

I read that you hit the ball high and want to stop a hook and draw correct? Your very steady throughout your swing but if you notice at 11 sec at impact on your driver swing 8/3/15. your spine and right arm are to behind the ball and going upwards instead of extending down the line. Upwards is inevitable, but the more you minimize this unavoidable impact position the more distance and penetrating flight you will get. Not to say you won't get a draw just less left and high draw possibility.

Copy this impact position at 22 sec just perfect and with your steady backswing doable.

Edited by Mike Boatright

1 hour ago, Mike Boatright said:

I read that you hit the ball high and want to stop a hook and draw correct? Your very steady throughout your swing but if you notice at 11 sec at impact on your driver swing 8/3/15. your spine and right arm are to behind the ball and going upwards instead of extending down the line. Upwards is inevitable, but the more you minimize this unavoidable impact position the more distance and penetrating flight you will get. Not to say you won't get a draw just less left and high draw possibility.

Copy this impact position at 22 sec just perfect and with your steady backswing doable.

Yes sir, I changed my swing a bit since then and I will upload a driver swing tomorrow after practice. I am missing left but not as much now. 

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

31 minutes ago, MasonAsher2014 said:

Yes sir, I changed my swing a bit since then and I will upload a driver swing tomorrow after practice. I am missing left but not as much now. 

You can really see it on your driver video 8/13/15 your head is way behind the ball this will cause you to hit up on it or hang back to much and release it left. I know it's much to ask swing like these guys,but doesn't it just ingrain a perfect mental image.

Note: This thread is 1423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!