IGNORED

Consistency or Aiming Troubles

Note: This thread is 4051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I am not the best golfer there was, (i shoot around 110 in an 18 hold round, 57 in a 9) and one of the things i struggle with constantly is consistency or aim, whichever you want to call it. It seems like one day ill be pounding my drives straight the whole day, and then the next they're all slices. Its inconsistant. Also inconsistent is my iron play. However with the irons, i can usually get them to fly the same, but i have trouble aiming them. I think i might have to many variables in my swing... If there is any tips you have on getting consistant or aiming consistant i'm all ears!

Go to the range and take your time between shots.  While doing this have your clubs layed down pointing at the target and another parallel to that for your feet and body to align with.  Take you time and hit different shots.  As you take your time you will start to feel the proper way to align your body and club.  I fight with this problem a lot.  Then about 2-3 times a month I will go play a practice round on the course and I will use my alignment sticks for every shot so that I can get the same feel on the course.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Go to the range and take your time between shots.  While doing this have your clubs layed down pointing at the target and another parallel to that for your feet and body to align with.  Take you time and hit different shots.  As you take your time you will start to feel the proper way to align your body and club.  I fight with this problem a lot.  Then about 2-3 times a month I will go play a practice round on the course and I will use my alignment sticks for every shot so that I can get the same feel on the course.

If by "hitting different shots", you mean different clubs, I agree. However if the OP is looking for consistency, I would not advise trying to work the ball. To the OP: I would advise trying to hit shots at the range until you can find a consistent pattern to your shots. Hard to fix a swing problem if it changes from swing to swing.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its hard to tell by just reading if its alignment or a swing problem. If its aiming Jack Nicholas would try and find a spot in front of your ball in your line and set himself up to that. If its swing mechanics try to never hit a full shot, Phil Mickelson has said he very rarely plays a full swing inside 150 yards. Learn to play the 3/4 shot.

I would recommend a lesson or two, at least so you get the mechanics of the swing down, i.e., you know what to work on and how it should feel when you strike the ball correctly. There is no point in going to the range and just smacking balls if you don't have a good sense of what you are striving to achieve.

I can only tell you what I do, (for what its worth). First I never go to the range without my alignment sticks, and I use them on every shot. At the range I'll either concentrate on irons, or woods, or the driver, but never all three on any single day. When working my irons I concentrate on my 7i, if I can hit that, I can hit any iron in my bag. (I don't carry longer 3 or 4 irons, I use a hybrid instead). I'll hit 75 to 100 balls just with my 7i. It may sound boring but that is what I'm working on that day and I stick to it. After say a 100 balls, if I am striking the ball well I'll move to my 6i then my 5i. By that time I'm usually in a groove and my irons are working well. If for some reason I'm having trouble with the 7i (and it happens), I'll go down to my 9i or 8i (which I never have trouble with), then work my way back up to the 7i.

On another day I'll concentrate on my woods. I carry and 3w and a 7w (I know, not many people carry a 7w but I really like it). Again I'll hit 75 to 100 balls just with my 3w. By that time I'm usually strike it well and I'll move to my 7w (which is easier for me to hit). I'll also work my hybrid on the day I'm working the woods (don't know why I just do).

On any given day I'll hit 150 to 200 balls.

Anyway, sorry for the long response but if you set up your practice sessions where you are concentrating on one thing you should see results. Don't get discouraged, get focussed. Like most of us, I've hit thousands of balls at the range and I'm still working hard on consistancy. Good luck.

Originally Posted by cooke119

I would recommend a lesson or two, at least so you get the mechanics of the swing down, i.e., you know what to work on and how it should feel when you strike the ball correctly. There is no point in going to the range and just smacking balls if you don't have a good sense of what you are striving to achieve.

I can only tell you what I do, (for what its worth). First I never go to the range without my alignment sticks, and I use them on every shot. At the range I'll either concentrate on irons, or woods, or the driver, but never all three on any single day. When working my irons I concentrate on my 7i, if I can hit that, I can hit any iron in my bag. (I don't carry longer 3 or 4 irons, I use a hybrid instead). I'll hit 75 to 100 balls just with my 7i. It may sound boring but that is what I'm working on that day and I stick to it. After say a 100 balls, if I am striking the ball well I'll move to my 6i then my 5i. By that time I'm usually in a groove and my irons are working well. If for some reason I'm having trouble with the 7i (and it happens), I'll go down to my 9i or 8i (which I never have trouble with), then work my way back up to the 7i.

On another day I'll concentrate on my woods. I carry and 3w and a 7w (I know, not many people carry a 7w but I really like it). Again I'll hit 75 to 100 balls just with my 3w. By that time I'm usually strike it well and I'll move to my 7w (which is easier for me to hit). I'll also work my hybrid on the day I'm working the woods (don't know why I just do).

On any given day I'll hit 150 to 200 balls.

Anyway, sorry for the long response but if you set up your practice sessions where you are concentrating on one thing you should see results. Don't get discouraged, get focussed. Like most of us, I've hit thousands of balls at the range and I'm still working hard on consistancy. Good luck.

PS, always have a target you are aiming at and concentrate on htting it. I also use the Jack Nicholas tip of picking a spot three feet in front of the ball at address.

Remember Emerson's famous quotation: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds ", clearly you have a great mind!  However, if you want to improve your aim try this exercise the next time you are at the range (not a practice net).  Address the ball as you would normally, then close your eyes.  If you're a righty ( Lefties, you know what to do) , slooowly lift your left arm with your eyes closed, and your face still pointed at the ball, try to point at what you think is your target. Once your arm is pointing at the suspected target, turn your head only and open your eyes to see the truth.  Chances are you are pointing somewhere other than the target.  To correct this, simply adjust your arm to point at the correct target, then turn your head to look back down at the ball while holding your arm pointing correctly down the target line.  FEEL this feeling!  Your brain is fighting your body regarding where you should hit.  I did this and found a tremendous improvement in my accuracy.  Good luck!

I think that's similar to the old tip i heard for putting. When you look down your target line, standing over the ball, don't lift up to do it, rotate your head. This way your not changing your alignment.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!