IGNORED

TEEING on a par 3. Yes or NO?

Note: This thread is 4067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If it's a long par 3, and you're hitting a fairway wood with a low-profile head, consider using a tuft of grass as a "tee." If you tee it too high on  a wooden tee, you might pop up the shot.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always tee it up. I didn't use to, but I can make an easier swing and still hit it a long way if I tee it up.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

It guarantees you a perfect lie, so why not.  I used to not use a tee on every hole until I realized that it was hurting my golf game. That being said I usually tee up hybrid shots and 3W very low, just barely higher than the grass.

Yes, I use a tee.

I never use a tee when I'm playing the local par 3 course.  I consider that more "practice" than "real" so I am pretending that my tee shots are all approach shots from the fairway.

But when I'm counting it, I definitely tee it up.  7 iron on down, the ball is just barely above the grass, but it's still on a tee.  And I try to use broken ones sitting around since I know they'll get broken anyway, but I'll never pass up the opportunity.

P.S.  Booo Boise State!  (Fresno State alum here ... I hate you guys!)

I always tee it up when given the option, I feel that I make the cleanest contact possible even with the tee pushed all the way into the ground.

Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme Matrix Ozik 7M3

Callaway X Hot Pro Mayrix Ozik 8M3

Callaway X Hot Pro 18* Matrix Ozik HM2

Callaway X Forged 2013 3-PW Project X PXi

Callaway Forged 52* & 58* Project X PXi

Odyssey Versa #9

Callaway HEX Black Tour

Yes, take every advantage the game gives you.

Because it takes and takes and takes....

• Upvote 2

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yes, take every advantage the game gives you. Because it takes and takes and takes....

This. Use every advantage allowed by the rules. Always.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

This.

Use every advantage allowed by the rules. Always.

Agree, there is 1 guy I play with who doesn't. When he hits it into a water hazard he will immediately drop and rehit regardless of how close or far he is from the hazard. We call him "Tin Cup" behind his back.

If there are broken tees I use them, if not I go without. I'll look for a tall piece of grass, but I do not worry too much about it.

In my bag:

Nike Mach Speed Black

Nike Dymo 3 wood

TaylorMade Burner 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-53 PW-3

TaylorMade RAC 52, 56, 60

Odyssey Black Series Tour Design

I always take advantage of it.  I place it just barely above the grass line.  It makes a perfect lie.  I don't notice anymore distance(maybe a yard or two) but it does seem to go higher and in return the ball stops when it hits the green.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

tees are cheap so I just stick on in the ground...forget all the looking around for a broken one.  I use mine, pick it up..and continue to use my own now broken tee.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I've just been looking at this discussion myself, after years of never teeing it up until 3W and driver was needed off the tee, i've been teeing up every club (on irons so low it's not noticeable). I've found the only real difference (unless the tee box is battered) is a slightly higher ball flight and more spin which is great in some situations and horrible in others. If I want to hit a high shot that will stop a tee all the way, however into the wind I'll hit a low draw/fade against the wind off the turf.

:titleist: 913 D2 8.75* Adilia Tour Green 65 Stiff Shaft

Rocketballz Stage 2 3Wood 15* Stiff Shaft

Victory Red TW Forged Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold S300 Shaft

CG Forged Dark Chrome CC Gap Wedge 52*

RAC Black TP 56*

:cleve: 588 RTX 60*

White Smoke IN-12 Blade Putter     Penta TP5

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Yes, take every advantage the game gives you.

Because it takes and takes and takes....

Agreed. I had questioned the need to do so, and a friend who's a far better golfer than I simply said to take the best lie you can within the rules. So naturally I started teeing the ball up a good inch and a half to hit it with a 5 iron.

Once he was done laughing, he pushed the tee down nearly to grass level and gave me a few swing pointers. Since then I've used a tee (and practiced hitting irons off a tee at the range as well) with irons and definitely noticed better contact.

Russ B.

I used to think it was silly to tee, but now I use tees on every par three. Like others have said, it's an advantage because it creates as perfect a lie as you can get. Still should take a divot n all

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Crazy question on this.  Since you tee it up as close the the ground as possible creating a "perfect" lie, do you change your stance at all or how far back or forward you play the ball?  Didn't know if you still play down on the ball with your irons?

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

Thomas A. Edison

callaway.gif  Diablo Octane 9.5* Driver

callaway.gif  Diablo Edge Hybrid 3/4

callaway.gif  Diablo Edge Irons 5-PW

I tee it low to the grass, but I always use one.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Note: This thread is 4067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!